Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Judging by the last 5 premier league seasons and the points tally of the 18th placed team we need at least 38 points to survive. We're 13 points off that with some tough games coming up. Gonna be a roller-coaster ride that's for sure! 

21 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I rate them both very highly boring answer I know but as a pair they both learnt off each other.Thomas is a bit of a student of the game who played at amateur level whereas Dean is a superb man manager with a great career where he captained ever club he played for.We have in my opinion the best team since we came up 5 years ago helped by spending 30 mill on new players something that I never thought I’d ever see.this season this was balanced by receiving over 35 mill for players sold.The starting line up has only 4 regulars from when Dean was with us so it’s very much a Thomas Frank side now.Both Dean and Frank have had great support from our excellent DoFs with the recruitment of players something I think Dean doesn’t have at Villa and feel he gets unfair criticism on here by some although the Villa fans I come across speak very highly of him.

This is something that the club look to be trying to do though, finally. The fact that Dean was part of that with Brentford and is a villan who will want the best for the club will help the club get that right I'm hoping. Not sure about he 2 DoF model, but it's the norm in all the most successful clubs outside the UK and will be the norm in the UK eventually. Very early days for us in that regard and the cid test will be if we retain continuity in playing style, recruitment, club philosophy etc when there are changes to the DoF and head coach. The days of every time we change manager having to start from scratch are hopefully behind us.

I agree on the unfair criticism for Smith as well. I think, and said so before last night many times, that he has doing a very good job in a season where 17th has to be the aim. I'm also certain that if the worst were to happen he would be the best man to get us promoted in the shortest possible time and keep a core of the playing staff together that will mean we don't have another summer like last one ever. No club should be in the position of needed to buy half a squad just to be able to field a team, the fact that Smith had to deal with all that and get us competitive, and the manner in which he has done it underlines that he's the right man for the job.

• Like 1

I’m just waiting for someone to tell @Brentfordnylons he’s wrong as Dean was rubbish at Brentford and Walsall and we only need the table to tell us this 😂

Very interesting that only four of your starting team are the same. I knew you had a big turnaround of players but didn’t realise it was quite so drastic. Is it Benrahma, Watkins, Henry and Canos/Dasilva?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I’m just waiting for someone to tell @Brentfordnylons he’s wrong as Dean was rubbish at Brentford and Walsall and we only need the table to tell us this 😂

Very interesting that only four of your starting team are the same. I knew you had a big turnaround of players but didn’t realise it was quite so drastic. Is it Benrahma, Watkins, Henry and Canos/Dasilva?

Dalsgaard Henry Watkins Benrahma.Canos out all season with injury DaSilver was mainly a sub under Dean.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I rate them both very highly boring answer I know but as a pair they both learnt off each other.Thomas is a bit of a student of the game who played at amateur level whereas Dean is a superb man manager with a great career where he captained ever club he played for.We have in my opinion the best team since we came up 5 years ago helped by spending 30 mill on new players something that I never thought I’d ever see.this season this was balanced by receiving over 35 mill for players sold.The starting line up has only 4 regulars from when Dean was with us so it’s very much a Thomas Frank side now.Both Dean and Frank have had great support from our excellent DoFs with the recruitment of players something I think Dean doesn’t have at Villa and feel he gets unfair criticism on here by some although the Villa fans I come across speak very highly of him.

Interesting , Hope you do come up , alot are rooting for you a very likeable club,  I think Suso the DOF has supported Dean well under the circumstances , average age of the team is down and we needed to build a new team it was never going to be easy, we are guilty as Villa fans of expecting to much at times we still have that big club mentality  only thing is we haven't won a trophy since 96  and everybody bar us dont see us as a big club, a liverpool fan told me before the season started “ if you finish 17th this year it will be a good achievement”  I was a bit offended at the time , looking back it makes sense  , there are a lot of settled team in this leauge and it was always going to be tough, think Dean is doing a good job and I hope we kick on from last night. 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Didn't our recovery and winning streak  last season start with a comeback draw, then a slim win, and the rest is history?

It's happening!

The slim win being the 4-0 against Derby?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

story doing the rounds on twitter that on around 60 minutes terry called a ball boy over and had him run round all the other ball boys spreading the message to speed up getting the ball back in to play

great bit of game management that I didn't notice

1st goal was from a quick throw so of its true brilliant management 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

As for Brentford, the only reason I dont want them promoted is because we dont know how to beat them 😂

On that same note Bruce coming to the Prem was a God send for Dean.  Since 2017 Dean has never lost to Bruce.  3W 2D. Both of the draws happened at Villa Park while Bruce was in charge. Probably good money to bet on a draw for the away Newcastle fixture. 

Â