Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Difficult for a manager to stay in one job and be consistently successful in modern football, as much as it would be great for Smith to be that man.

Football evolves far too quickly and some get left behind with outdated tactics and philosophies.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Difficult for a manager to stay in one job and be consistently successful in modern football, as much as it would be great for Smith to be that man.

Football evolves far too quickly and some get left behind with outdated tactics and philosophies.

I think it’s fine having one person in charge for a long time. But to do so successfully, a rotation of coaches throughout needs to be done to keep ideas fresh. Fergie was the master of this. 
Hopefully if smith stays a while with us he’ll do the same (I think in another years time Terry may go somewhere to be a manager).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Dean asked on BBC by Lineker “what’s your best memory during your time at Brentford he answers “ beating Villa “oh dear 😃

I know, you’d have hoped he would have achieved more for you than that but we are a massive scalp for Brentford so fair enough.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Dean asked on BBC by Lineker “what’s your best memory during your time at Brentford he answers “ beating Villa “oh dear 😃

It was a great quote.  Also, Dean has Bruce figured out. Hasn't lost to him yet. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2020 at 14:53, KentVillan said:

Dean Smith in the punditry team for Brentford v Leicester on BBC. Had a few things to say about managing Villa, mostly just the usual platitudes, but one or two insights.

Most interesting being that Jack will let him know when he / the players aren’t satisfied with a training session, implying that Jack has been pushing the coaching staff to keep improving.

Whatever you think about Smith, he seems to promote a good culture around a place. He doesn’t seem too proud to let other people bring improvements and ideas to the table.

Came across well, although you can tell he’s a bit nervous at the moment, and keeps repeating his line about being a Villa fan like he’s trying to trot out his job preservation patter. He did say his teams typically do better in the second half of the season, and that he felt this group of players had just started to hit their stride.

Do you know if there is a clip of this somewhere? I'd like to see it.

In general I think being good at what you do and listen to others views is a better way of gaining respect in the long run than having a massive ego and gaining respect by being authoritarian. No reason to question Dean Smith just because he isn't a egocentric psycho like Mourinho imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

More than happy with what Dean done at our place excellent manager 

Hope you lot come up this season. Glad to see the Brentford model is still working well. Proper football club. Also Konsa is doing well you maybe happy to hear.

10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Hope you lot come up this season. Glad to see the Brentford model is still working well. Proper football club. Also Konsa is doing well you maybe happy to hear.

Thanks 👍Would be great if we could come up and play at the superb Villa Park again.

• Like 1

I really hope this 5 at the back thing is only temporary. 

What 3 centre backs is it takes away one of the forward players, whether it's a midfielder or attacker. And basically what this is is damage limitation tactics with 3 at the back.

Let's call a spade a spade here. We're going 5 at the back because we don't wanna get embarrassed.

Edited by villalad21

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What 3 centre backs is it takes away one of the forward players, whether it's a midfielder or attacker. And basically what this is is damage limitation tactics with 3 at the back.

Let's call a spade a spade here. We're going 5 at the back because we don't wanna get embarrassed.

Nothing in football is permanent. 

Hard to believe at the moment I know, but there will even come a time in the future, when Dean Smith can't be blamed for all the things that went wrong in your life as a teenager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Lets call something wrong when its wrong, many top teams play 3 at the back these days. The wingbacks are essentially attackers so you don't loose a forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah I really hope this system which has delivered massive improvements to performances and results is only a temporary thing. I really hope he abandons it soon.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonVillian said:

Lets call something wrong when its wrong, many top teams play 3 at the back these days. The wingbacks are essentially attackers so you don't loose a forward.

Some people have a real problem with 3 at the back, don't know why. In my lifetime I've seen us use it to very good effect, playing good football too. Apart from Villa though sooooo many sides have won stuff with it, seems daft to think it's a no go as a formation. We've got centre backs who are comfortable on the ball, that's half the battle. I think it really suits us, I'd like to see us play it with Jack in the middle, as part of the 2 in a 3-4-2-1 I think he'd run things.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

And yet we've won games using it. Amazing isn't it.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Chelsea won the league under Conte with 343 formation we are playing. Martinez teams in PL often used it. 

You make some funny posts

Edited by Kiwivillan

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think it had less to do with the formation and more to do with the application and desire.

So if you think the formation has nothing to do with it why do you hope we change it?

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Chelsea won the league under Conte with 343 formation we are playing. Martinez teams in PL often used it

Conte used it when it was bang out of fashion, as did Sarri, the list of teams using to win stuff is huge. It's a great way to play football if you've got the centre backs to do it.

Â