Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We're just so weak and pathetic under him. He's not cut out for this league. But sadly I can't see the board acting at all.

I can see them acting.

But the guys who chose all those players - and had Henry in the frame for the villa job - will be the ones choosing the next manager. - do you trust them or Smith to get it right ?

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think the problem is both.

Just not convinced there's any sort of coaching going on, evident in the way we play, no sharp passing, no good movement, players looking extremely weak as well. 

How do you explain that we showed that in the start of the season and last season? It's just a case of poor form, missing players, players out injured, low confidence etc. 

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A word removed hair away from being done with him to be honest. The football is shite, tactics increasingly clueless, he and his team are not motivating this lot either. Not the man for the future.

I think you have hit the main point there, team doesn't even look interested. Motivation or lack of a big factor

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

How do you explain that we showed that in the start of the season and last season? It's just a case of poor form, missing players, players out injured, low confidence etc. 

I don't think we showed it that well at all this season, last season was heavily dependent on Grealish as well plus frankly just having in certain positions, much better players than most of the league.

Smith has made Grealish a one point of failure, he's really the only attacking tactic we have, 'give the ball to Grealish', this was apparent last season as well as this season.

• Like 1

Said it before put people talk about our signings being poor in the summer, but Smith is doing them no favours whatsoever with the way he keeps swapping and changing the team, not even sure if we've named the same line-up for more than two games in a row, how the players are meant to develop and understanding with their team mates and get used to a system I'm not sure.

This is it for Smith now. It’s all on this half of football. If there isn’t a reaction in the second half and the changes that are so painfully obviously needed aren’t made then it’s the end of line. 

The are no other premier league teams who tolerate being so shit for so long. And we’re getting worse. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I have issues with DS, but if we replaced him with Allardyce, I would frankly consider giving up. Can’t stand the bloke, dodgy as ****! Even given the way football is nowadays for me he would be the limit. As for recruitment, I think it is widely agreed that DS didn’t pick the players that were brought in. It’s probably wishful thinking, but I still think if we can pull off an unexpected result and get a few players in, he can turn it around. Almost certainly DS is not being replaced, we have to dig in, support him and forget bringing in dross like Allardyce. 

I too don't want Allardyce, what I want is for Dean to embrace some of the qualities of organisation that Allardyce brings.

but getting back to names, I don't care, if I like them or not, providing they do the job......e.g Sir Ron was a surly character, who some could find difficult, personally I loved him for the work he did and how he went about it.....different times, sure, but the priciples remain.

Attacked Bruce because he had us playing dreadful football with no signs of progression week to week, no real identity or clear idea of what we were all about and little signs that it would ever be good enough to keep us up 

Smith is now in the same boat, shit to see but it's the truth, we're not growing in to the league or progressing, we're getting worse, this is awful to watch, we have nothing, what do we do? How do we play? What's our shape and style? There isn't an answer to any of those questions 

Don’t like watching this as he is a Villa lad. If it was someone without an affiliation or connection to the club then that would be different, but not nice seeing this happen to ‘one of our own’, so to speak. 

It is the same dross every week with no signs of improvement. This is why Purslow likely won’t have patience. He can’t improve these players through either coaching or motivation. Would rather see him walk than suffer this sort of indignity. 

• Like 1

I don't want Smith out, though I'm starting to become unsure now.. the football served these last few months has been dreadful, selection has been trivial and performances abysmal. Even though I know he is not in charge of recruitment, someone has to be punished for it, the recruitment has been horrendous, apart from Mings we will be making losses on the rest. 

The question to me is, if we keep Smith, I honestly believe there is NO chance we will stay up, but dose he deserve a chance in the championship with us next season, or do we role the dice and try to stay up, but most likely end in a manager limbo in the near future? I cant see any new long term managers available to us at the moment. 

Â