Dean Smith

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Agree as ever @markavfc40, except - a very small, and statistically insignificant point, but true nevertheless - is that although in some games since December our performances have been significantly worse since the start of the Season it is interesting that in the last 3 Away games (where we’ve played our best available side ( ie not Fulham)) we’ve beaten Burnley, and Drawn with Leicester and Brighton.

Prior to that wed only managed a Draw and 5 defeats in 6 games. So in that sense it could be said we’ve actually improved, Away from Home. It would certainly be significant if it stays that way with almost all our rivals still to come Away.

I do think this is a bit of an unfair comparison. Our 6 away games before Burnley were Watford, Sheffield, Chelsea, Man United, Wolves and Man City(ignoring league cup games). Only Watford looking at the league table I thought we were expected to be able to gain something out of the match and even that's kind of doubtful considering how some on here have tried to play down the Watford loss due to them being really on form.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

He's won 40% of our last five matches in the Premier League. That's the average number of games in a form guide isn't it, 5 games?

By our current form, based off wins alone over a season, we'd have accumulated 45 points, and would more than likely be safe, as it doesn't account drawn games either.

And from what some of you are saying, that would come as a result of the worst we have seen under Smith.

We can only stop to ask ourselves what is causing these faults in progress and hindering our chances of successfully retaining PL status?

Some of you are coming to the conclusion it's Smith. And it pains me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and all, I wouldn't have it any other way, but mine is not aligning with that notion in the slightest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I do think this is a bit of an unfair comparison. Our 6 away games before Burnley were Watford, Sheffield, Chelsea, Man United, Wolves and Man City(ignoring league cup games). Only Watford looking at the league table I thought we were expected to be able to gain something out of the match and even that's kind of doubtful considering how some on here have tried to play down the Watford loss due to them being really on form.

Please yourself, it’s a fact though 🙂

I agree the earlier games were very very tough.

Edited by terrytini

Just now, DCJonah said:

We need to get a grip of just who we are at the moment. We are nothing special and have no right at all to demand we should be.

Exactly. People on FB saying we should be winning Brighton away. Really? It's just arrogance

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Someone on twitter said that it showed how low our standards have become when we are happy with a pt away to Brighton.

How many years ago are people going back to when this kind of result was considered low standards?

I've said all along, that the expectations of our fans could be the thing that really **** us over. 

A point away at Brighton in our first season in the Championship would have been excellent, but somehow after they've spent 2 seasons in a league above us we should be getting all 3 points. Make it make sense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Errrrrrr? If you think Barcelona are all about Messi, you don't really watch alot of football do you??

Correct. I don’t watch a lot of football anymore but I do watch Barcelona. Messi is out / has 2/3 people marking him then Barcelona invariably play shit especially in the last few years  - they get away with it in la Liga although more teams take points off them now. See their performances in the Champions League recently to see proof of this. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Someone on twitter said that it showed how low our standards have become when we are happy with a pt away to Brighton.

How many years ago are people going back to when this kind of result was considered low standards?

3 seasons ago when we got a respectable 1-1 draw at the AMEX in the championship? 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, eholm said:

After listening to his post match I/view, I hope he starts IV on Tuesday. He was quick to mention his tuning off the ball. That is what created the space for Jack as it pulled the CBs across. If Samatta isn’t signed in time I would defo start Vas....as a striker he has the instinct to mate those runs that a winger up top would not. IV starting is not about him scoring but prob more likely to create space for others to utilise as he did today. Go on Dean, have some balls mate 👍

I think Jack needs to be sitting off Vass in the middle. 

Playing Grealish wise is utter madness, he score by coming into the centre and he ends up dropping so deep to try and get into the game otherwise.

He will draw in so many players and Vass will have plenty of space. That’s inevitable. 

It seems People consistently criticise Smith for his 'in game management', but when he does make the right tweaks/subs etc, he's never given the credit, like the 2nd half today. A month or so ago we would have lost that game, but we didn't and that's definitely due to Smith decisions at and after half time today.

Also looking at the form guides we've bettered Burnley, Spurs, Bournemouth, Norwich and Brighton for points over the past 6 games. Equalling, amongst others, West Ham's, Leicester's and Arsenal's point gains and we've gained only a single point less than Sheffield United. That's despite some of the dross that's been served up recently. So, presently he's doing okay, but defo needs to get the team competing from the off! 

Edited by The Other Mat
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

3 seasons ago when we got a respectable 1-1 draw at the AMEX in the championship? 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

It was on the last day of the season too with Brighton already sealing promotion. Even then it was a good result lol. Villa fans on social media are special.

Smith has got a long way to go before I want him gone. He has made some questionable decisions, no doubt and its fine to point them out. But we are only here because of him, he gets this season with my support and constructive criticism. I feel I owe it to him. Happily I think our support (particularly away support) agree.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

It was on the last day of the season too with Brighton already sealing promotion. Even then it was a good result lol. Villa fans on social media are special.

• Like 1

I believe in Smith. Some fans are deluded if they thought we would be comfortably mid table team. We've had some huge injuries. 

Today I was a tad confused with the formation. Why play with wing backs and two wingers? Surely the attackers need to play as inside forwarders/CAMs, giving the wing backs space to attack? 

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

He's won 40% of our last five matches in the Premier League. That's the average number of games in a form guide isn't it, 5 games?

By our current form, based off wins alone over a season, we'd have accumulated 45 points, and would more than likely be safe, as it doesn't account drawn games either.

Doesn't look quite so rosy if you include the 5 before those though. 7 points from our last 5 games Is good going and that average would be fine to keep us up over the course of a season but we only have 8 points from our last 10 games which is nowhere near enough. only Bournemouth & Norwich have faired worse & we have also managed a -14 goal difference along the way

• Like 1

Â