Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

What's having a decent squad got to do with having to losing 15 members of it? Just because the squad is made up of loans, elderly players, those out of contract in the near future, doesn't mean it's not good.

I'm not a "critic" of Smith on this particular subject at all as nobody could be, however we did have one of the best squads in the championship imo. We had several of the best players, in Grealish, McGinn, Abraham and later Mings, easily. We also had some crap to as did most teams but nobody can say those mentioned as with the likes of Ghazi and Axel, Hourihane, Kodjia, Albert, chester early  etc that we didn't have one of the better 11's if not necessarily the best squad as Norwich proved. We most definitely had the best player without doubt. Our failure after summer uncertainty was recruitment in certain areas and a manager that lost his way before Dean came in to help resurrect the players. I do think though we had some exceptional players in a division below their level as it has proved this season. 

Well then it highlights that the gap between the bottom of the premier league and the top of the championship is a lot bigger than we realised. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

52 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

What looks like a 4-3-3 against crap opposition looks more like a 4-1-4-1 against good opposition, since the wingers get pinned back. It’s splitting hairs.

Not necessarily, I see what you're saying however.

it depends on the tactics and system employed within the formation, and the roles and personnel.

When we were playing a 4-1-4-1 in the championship, we played Whelan as a defensive midfielder.

Whereas when we employed the 4-3-3, Hourihane got involved up field, oftentimes at the top of the box.

That's why Hourihane had the goal and assist return for us that he did, the system allowed him opportune moments.

Whelan never played that role, and so while I see where your comment of splitting hairs comes from, it's not always the case.

Likewise, when we have played 4-1-4-1 in the PL, Marvelous has replaced Whelan, Grealish and McGiinn occupy the CM roles.

Trezegeut and El Ghazi have played as wingers or wide forwards, the positions they cover, as you say, dependent on the territory we can occupy.

Our 4-3-3 in the PL, like the championship, includes Hourihane, as by design we get more men forward. Luiz and McGinn accompany him.

Swap a winger out and put Grealish forward left, and you have the same 4-3-3 with attacking intent, reliant on reasonable amount of time in the attacking half.

But also on winning the ball back in our attacking half, making use of the numbers we have committed forward, and ensuring we aren't caught out in transition.

For a team so newly assembled, and given the experience levels and lack of chemistry, I have been pretty impressed that it's shown signs of working.

But conceding an average of over two goals every game, over a 15 game period, shows that the structure in that formation given our skill set is quite costly

Edited by A'Villan

And what I'm proposing is that we put Grealish back in that midfield 3.

As it still allows him to get forward, as the midfield and forwards interchange, overlap and rotate.

3 center backs may well work in terms of bolstering the final line of defense, instead of employing a lone defensive midfielder who sits ahead of them.

Because when we do play that DM, as you say, the system becomes a 4-14-1.

I think the attacking emphasis of a 4-3-3 requires a midfield 3 who can adequately navigate the midfield, despite presses, traps and attempts to intervene.

All I'm saying is that with a combination of McGinn and Grealish's quality in possession, we have enough ability to allow a third midfielder to be a role player.

There's no room for passengers. Add Luiz to that midfield 3 and I personally think the chances of the 4-3-3 working as it's designed increases tenfold.

On the other hand, putting Hourihane in place of Grealish, means that we rely on Luiz having a consistent and solid performance over 90 minutes.

Without that, then it's a midfield three where McGinn is the only player capable and reliable enough to link defense and attack, traps and pressing become easy pickings.

We might as well just bypass midfield with long balls, instead of getting caught out predictably by opponents anticipating our play and allowing them territory that is unfavourable.

Edited by A'Villan

Forget all that business...the big question is why Smith again was dishonest with the fans over Kodjia? saying he had flu. why not be honest and upfront with the supporters.

And this is not the first occassion, MCginn playing with injury, Grealish injury this season and last, Kenian Davis was only meant to be out for 2 weeks. Why all the bs?

Some things are best kept under the radar. however with mcginn fans quickly noticed he wasn't making the usual impact and were screaming for him to be rested.

It appears like deano has the same disregard for the supporters as doug ellis. he thinks we don't know what we seeing. Smith is not a man of integrity and certainly not one of us.

Smith should come out in a press conference and make a gesture to the fans....like O'Neils meal.

25 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Forget all that business...the big question is why Smith again was dishonest with the fans over Kodjia? saying he had flu. why not be honest and upfront with the supporters.

And this is not the first occassion, MCginn playing with injury, Grealish injury this season and last, Kenian Davis was only meant to be out for 2 weeks. Why all the bs?

Some things are best kept under the radar. however with mcginn fans quickly noticed he wasn't making the usual impact and were screaming for him to be rested.

It appears like deano has the same disregard for the supporters as doug ellis. he thinks we don't know what we seeing. Smith is not a man of integrity and certainly not one of us.

Smith should come out in a press conference and make a gesture to the fans....like O'Neils meal.

Whilst I appreciate honesty I don't think Deano would ever say he didn't play Kodjia because he was planning on leaving or is shite.. The flu or the shits gets used plenty in football to cover the real truth.. playing injured players is another story though, totally agree with you on that

29 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

You’ve gotta love it.
Never change, Screwdriver. Never change. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Whilst I appreciate honesty I don't think Deano would ever say he didn't play Kodjia because he was planning on leaving or is shite.. The flu or the shits gets used plenty in football to cover the real truth.. playing injured players is another story though, totally agree with you on that

Mate many clubs do exactly the same..... it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Hasn't Pogba had chronic "Head colds" and "throat problems" for a few months?... lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Even by VT standards this is bizarre. Did you watch the x files when you were younger?

Now we have even less strikers, it's time for dean to either get the player HE wants long term which means buying them or at the very least another forward of good quality on loan and come the summer reevaluate the whole squad.

7 hours ago, screwdriver said:

1) Do you know for sure Kodjia hasn't had the flu for the last few weeks?

2) 'He is a shit lazy bum' may have detracted clubs from giving our club £3m for him 

Have you ever considered having a little think before you post this rubbish?

21 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Delighted to read this from the boss...

In some ways we're a pain to get players for. We're bad, but the club is big, so expectations are high.

So many players in recent times have crumpled here, when they've looked like decent players elsewhere. It's so hard to change the mindset, takes years and years. It took years to damage, but we managed it somehow.

But Pearson has changed it in 5 minutes.....Its all about the approach.

and it doesn't surprise me......I am not saying sack Dean smith, but I am confident Allardyce would keep us up.

Its about choices....Dean needs to tune in to what this league demands.....its not the championship.

I doubt Smith will turn this team around, even with a couple of half decent signings. In a few games the loyalists will yet again be moaning the players are shite, when in reality Smith an the coaches have proven time and time again they are not at PL level, with there dodgy team selections piss poor subs none exsistant systems and lack of motivation towards the players.

Be an interesting next half of the season, I try to live in hope they can do something, an its all gonna start at Brighton away this weekend. UTV.

Edited by foreveryoung

2 hours ago, TRO said:

But Pearson has changed it in 5 minutes.....Its all about the approach.

and it doesn't surprise me......I am not saying sack Dean smith, but I am confident Allardyce would keep us up.

Its about choices....Dean needs to tune in to what this league demands.....its not the championship.

Watford who have been in the PL for 5 years, have a top-flight squad and Troy Deeney as captain. Watford who were underperforming horribly and sat bottom, yes he's made them better. It would have been tough to make them worse.

Sam would absolutely not keep us up TRO, you think he's going to make these poor players better? You think the usuals will stop being afraid of the ball and tackling? I'm afraid not. 

Summer signings were not enough and I think we're going down as well yes. How on earth we're only just signing striker now is mind-blowing. If the money is there why didn't we get another one in the summer? Why didn't we get ready and have one ready January 1st? Amateur hour.

Smith will have to take his share of the blame for picking out of form players and formations that weren't working but I don't think there's anyone who could do much better with this crop. He's the only man who can keep us up now, it'll have to mean his methods get through to the players. 

It'll be a miracle and take something superhuman from Jack. Let's start tomorrow with 3 points.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I doubt Smith will turn this team around, even with a couple of half decent signings. In a few games the loyalists will yet again be moaning the players are shite, when in reality Smith an the coaches have proven time and time again they are not at PL level, with there dodgy team selections piss poor subs none exsistant systems and lack of motivation towards the players.

Be an interesting next half of the season, I try to live in hope they can do something, an its all gonna start at Brighton away this weekend. UTV.

Do you think it's too late to change now? I do.

I'd have been sad but accepted it the turn of the year, too late now.

Things could get really bad if we're taking whippings every week and the manager is sat on a new contract. People want someone to blame and Suso is out of reach for Joe Bloggs sat in the Holte.

Start the recovery and bring us 3 points tomorrow Deano! I think the best case scenario is he works another miracle, keeps us up, and we can amicably part ways in the summer. (Desperate to be eating those words when he fires us up to 8th this half of the season)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Watford who have been in the PL for 5 years, have a top-flight squad and Troy Deeney as captain. Watford who were underperforming horribly and sat bottom, yes he's made them better. It would have been tough to make them worse.

Sam would absolutely not keep us up TRO, you think he's going to make these poor players better? You think the usuals will stop being afraid of the ball and tackling? I'm afraid not. 

Summer signings were not enough and I think we're going down as well yes. How on earth we're only just signing striker now is mind-blowing. If the money is there why didn't we get another one in the summer? Why didn't we get ready and have one ready January 1st? Amateur hour.

Smith will have to take his share of the blame for picking out of form players and formations that weren't working but I don't think there's anyone who could do much better with this crop. He's the only man who can keep us up now, it'll have to mean his methods get through to the players. 

It'll be a miracle and take something superhuman from Jack. Let's start tomorrow with 3 points.

Watford, irrespective of their time in the Premier League, (could be a hundred Years for all I care).......They were dead and Buried, deceased, until Pearson arrived......a manager ,I might add would not be considered by many Fans

A change of manager has brought a change of approach and that for me is the significant thing......Nigel Pearson, would not be most Villa fans cup of tea, but his approach has brought about the change.

Some fans are obsessed with expansive and attractive football, with scant regard for the result, would they admit that.....Never.

I love attractive football, but realise the result comes first, we have to stay in this division and I also recognise what type of players will give us the opportunity to stay in it.....names don't matter, types do.

When you create a strong base that makes you hard to beat, you can always add the cosmetics afterwards.....The eye candy comes later.

Edited by TRO

Â