Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 hours ago, KentVillan said:

People were saying same thing about Solsjkaer last season. A good squad underperforming, previous manager has lost the dressing room... it's the classic new manager bounce.

Smith still needs time. People keep saying he's had time, but he really hasn't. This is basically a completely new team he's trying to build at a level above what most of these players have ever experienced, and he's had injuries to all of his key players, so we've never had a chance to put out a settled 11. Everything (pressing and aggression included) improves when the team starts to settle.

If you buy the wrong players and I say IF, time will cure nothing, There is a legitimate claim that new players need time to settle in ,granted.......but be careful of the cop out, Time is not a mitigating factor for poor recruitment, if in fact that is the case.

Yet another Shambolic half of football, what pisses me off Wesley got injured the 1st and still ain’t bought a striker in, 3 games without one, put a youth team player up there as whats up there at the min is a waste of time 

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

That’s life for most newly promoted teams isn’t it ?

My advice, for what it’s worth ? 
Don’t try to “make up your mind“ ! Accept he’s the Head Coach, moan when he fails, praise when he succeeds, and hope it’s the latter more than the former !

I've made my mind up. He needs to go. 

15 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

On the flip side Southampton were also in dire straights not so long ago and decided to stick with their manager and have put an excellent run together and now find themselves 12th. Just over 3 weeks ago they were where we are now and at that point had been battered a number of times including 9-0 at home to Leicester.

Every club is different and at different stages of building or rebuilding squads etc and each manager/head coach will be judged based on their circumstance. 

For me Smith in his 15 months, given what he inherited, did a great job in getting us up. Then, due to what he inherited, the club was left in a position of needing quantity and quality in one transfer window. A tough ask for any club and it is no surprise that we have found it really tough this season. Smith though for me has enough credit in the bank, and has shown enough in his time here, to be worthy of time to try to keep us up this season and if we drop to perhaps be given the opportunity to again bring us up. 

Yeah, I accept that.

I think the inherited bit, is being a bit laboured, now....He has now had 3 windows....A manager has to take responsibility, like he took the plaudits rightfully for the promotion, not many calls then for inheriting a poor side....that's a cop out for me.

As you know Mark, I don't take kindly to changing managers at the drop of a hat......However,I do think the Dean Smith that came in, is different to the present day Dean Smith...that's just my opinion. The one who came in was bright, fresh, full of effervescence and idea's now its melancholy and nervous laughs to mask the pain....no animation from the sides, just a stoney reaction to events unfolding before him...The pro active Dean has been replaced by the damaged Re-active Dean.

I think the pressure is getting to him.

I sincerely hope you are right and I am wrong.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

A word removed hair away from being done with him to be honest. The football is shite, tactics increasingly clueless, he and his team are not motivating this lot either. Not the man for the future.

I still sad about it, because he genuinely seems like a really good bloke.

It's just not good enough though. Nowhere near. If the plan is to stick with him no matter what, we'll be **** next season as well, because you don't just instantly recover from a losing mentality. We're in free fall. 

2 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I had full faith in Smith, but watching this is just painful. So, so far out of his depth it’s actually starting to look cruel on him

The problem isn't Smith methinks. The problem has largely been the recruitment. No idea who's responsible for that. Nor responsible for the absolute **** that we are in a situation where we are starting matches (in PLURAL) without a striker. 

What's clear is that this will be one tough battle for survival and that new striker better be good. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I would keep him if we want to build in the championship again which as I said should've been the plan in my opinion, writing has been on the wall for a while. These fixtures have fast become write offs. Only reason to go for the players we have is if we believe a new manager can do something different, as Smith certainly can’t. 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The problem isn't Smith methinks. The problem has largely been the recruitment. No idea who's responsible for that. Nor responsible for the absolute **** that we are in a situation where we are starting matches (in PLURAL) without a striker. 

What's clear is that this will be one tough battle for survival and that new striker better be good. 

I think the problem is both.

Just not convinced there's any sort of coaching going on, evident in the way we play, no sharp passing, no good movement, players looking extremely weak as well. 

Â