Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I find it strange, 3 years Smith did nothing with Brentford. First full season without him, an looks like they will at least make the play offs, with West Brom, Fulham, an Leeds above them.

TBF Smith was on cones duty, easy to replace. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

It seems People consistently criticise Smith for his 'in game management', but when he does make the right tweaks/subs etc, he's never given the credit, like the 2nd half today. A month or so ago we would have lost that game, but we didn't and that's definitely due to Smith decisions at and after half time today.

Ive been a massive critic of Smith's "rabbit in the headlights" game management so it's good to see an improvement today. Will give more credit when I see more of it! 

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I find it strange, 3 years Smith did nothing with Brentford. First full season without him, an looks like they will at least make the play offs, with West Brom, Fulham, an Leeds above them.

well tbh i think this season was seen as the "promotion push" year for them.

They sold 2 players for 32m odd and reinvested 29m of that in some pretty good players (Mbeumo, Jansson, Jensen, Norgaard, Pinnock, Raya etc).

they also kept Benrahma, Henry (LB) is fit again, and Watkins is playing well, they also have Canos who is a good player, they look like they are a definite promotion threat this season.

Edited by MaVilla

26 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Doesn't look quite so rosy if you include the 5 before those though. 7 points from our last 5 games Is good going and that average would be fine to keep us up over the course of a season but we only have 8 points from our last 10 games which is nowhere near enough. only Bournemouth & Norwich have faired worse & we have also managed a -14 goal difference along the way

I'm not trying to make it rosy.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

well tbh i think this season was seen as the "promotion push" year for them.

They sold 2 players for 32m odd and reinvested 29m of that in some pretty good players (Mbeumo, Jansson, Jensen, Norgaard, Pinnock, Raya etc).

they also kept Benrahma, Henry (LB) is fit again, and Watkins is playing well, they look like they are a definite promotion threat this season.

So without Smith they thought let's go for it.

To be honest  from what Ihave seen of them this season, they look a much better side, an dont ship so many goals.

Edited by foreveryoung

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

i didnt say that, i just said they invested heavily this year, as 2 player sales raking in 32m ish  allowed them to do so.

in deanos last season the spent 6m, and pretty much didnt spend more than 5-6 m any season in the last decade (apart from 1), this season they spent 30m odd.

im not saying dean would get them promoted this season, who knows, im just stating a fact that the invested more this season then they ever have before, by a big big margin.

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, useless said:

When Smith left Brentford they were in seven place, one point off the play-offs, and above us in the championship, after which they dropped pretty badly. The reason they've improved so much this season is more to do with that fact that they spent £30m in the summer, more than any other championship club, Smith didn't have anywhere near that much to spend whilst he was there, if he did I suspect he'd have made a good go of getting them promoted, as I say they looked like challenging last season before he left.

They would have still shipped goals, which has stopped since he left, now we do it!

7 minutes ago, useless said:

When Smith left Brentford they were in seven place, one point off the play-offs, and above us in the championship, after which they dropped pretty badly. The reason they've improved so much this season is more to do with that fact that they spent £30m in the summer, more than any other championship club, Smith didn't have anywhere near that much to spend whilst he was there, if he did I suspect he'd have made a good go of getting them promoted, as I say they looked like challenging last season before he left.

Stop talking nonsense with your truth bombs. 

Everyone knows smith is shit. 

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To be honest  from what Ihave seen of them this season, they look a much better side, an dont ship so many goals.

They definitely didn't think "now Dean's gone we can spend that cash we've been squirreling away for a promotion push!". They turn a decent profit each year and on top of that they sold 2 players made a huge amount of money that could be reinvested in players, meaning they can compete with the likes of Leeds this season. 

Edited by The Other Mat

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Stop talking nonsense with your truth bombs. 

Everyone knows smith is shit. 

He is certainly not shit. But he is far from PL standard which is what we needed this season. It was just to early for him. My goodness does he even now the best system yet. People blame the players, but if they are still gelling, still learning why keep changing systems.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He is certainly not shit. But he is far from PL standard which is what we needed this season. It was just to early for him. My goodness does he even now the best system yet. People blame the players, but if they are still gelling, still learning why keep changing systems.

Far from prem standard but 1 pt off our target and in a semi final of a cup. 

That doesn't suggest he is far from prem standard.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Far from prem standard but 1 pt off our target and in a semi final of a cup. 

That doesn't suggest he is far from prem standard.

Le’s hope that’s not our epitaph on the 2019-20 season then: “our manager wasn’t far from premier league standard”.

Edited by briny_ear

23 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We lost McGinn then Wesley

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But that’s not all down to smith. We have a lot of players who make good impacts as subs, enough to warrant a starting role and then do Less than nothing when given a chance to start. 
A lot of the players show potential but not consistency 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Smith sees exactly what we see. We know this as every time you see his after game press conference he describes the same game 99% of us have seen and picks out the same issues we all do. Him and his staff are obviously therefore working on these issues in training.

I'd agree that performances have arguably gotten worse as the season has gone on. This was my fear when we were playing well but not getting the results our performances deserved as that meant we were slipping down the league and as the season went on the pressure would mount. I do think with a squad with players with a lot of potential but lacking top flight experience with the pressure on they are struggling at times to do the basics and carry out what they are asked to do and I sense that Smith is as frustrated as we are by this. I also think we have lost important players which with the squad we have has impacted us more than it would others. McGinn, Mings, Heaton, Grealish and now Wesley have all missed a number of games.

@OutByEaster? also made a great point in the Brighton rating and reaction thread when he said the players we have are good enough to keep us up it's the players we haven't got who leave a big hole that may well take us down. We are 2 or 3 players short at the moment and I think if we can bring those players in, and that isn't on Smith, then we can survive this season. If we do that I'd be very hopeful we'd see a lot of these players, with this year behind them, really kick on.

I don't doubt that, but signing Drinkwater hardly fills you with the joys of spring, if its meant to help keep us up, we might be disappointed.

How long do we have to wait for him to find his Leicester form?

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Le’s hope that’s not our epitaph on the 2019-20 season then: “our manager wasn’t far from premier league standard”.

Let’s hope that on 1 Feb we are a fee points out of the drop zone and in a cup final. Not dumped out of the cup and falling behind. It can all change very quickly in either direction.

As others have mentioned Brentford went in a free fall after Smith left.  Then Brentford brought in 19 players over the summer window.  Comparing that team to last year's is just plain dumb.  Using it as a stick to beat Dean is even dumber. 

Anyone who is saying get rid of Smith when he sits a whole point off our target for the season really need to check themselves. At least don't be the same people complaining when a player looks to move on to a better team one season after signing. 

• Like 1

Â