Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Think he’s too soft ,  need someone will that bit of steel like Pearson has to shake people up - I don’t think dean possesses the nasty hard streak in him . 

Keeps blaming the players too, which is not the greatest attribute as a manager.

Awful Managerial performance in my view today,

Why would you play two players in the full back positions who were last season struggling against Championship teams & were often singled out by TV pundits as being our weak spot, against the biggest scorers in the League?

Then to add insult he plays 3 big tall centre backs against City's small tricky forwards which again was asking for trouble.

Result = Six conceded, & half of those were amateurish Sunday pub team type mistakes by our players.

Poor team selection today in my eyes & now we have completely wrecked our advantage of having the best Goal difference for the run in.

Pathetic performance today

I said in match thread earlier. I've got no sympathy for him anymore. He continually persists with Taylor, Elmo etc, gets tactically out thought by setting us up predictably more often than not. Is late with his subs or just let's games pass us by. The players don't seem to know what to do half the time and I have yet to see any semblance of the football Brentford played. The 3-4-3 everyone keeps talking about is a straight 5 at the back. You don't play Elmo and Taylor in a midfield 4 ffs! Firstly you've got 5 defensive players at the back, then you play with 2 DM's, that's 7 defensive players within 40 yards of our own goal. You then expect 3 players to carry the attack forward and without a striker in the 3 lol!!! We got squeezed and hemmed in today through stupidity by a team that thrive on static midfields and defences. 

Without getting carried away with today and against City in general, I can handle getting thumped. What I can't handle is getting thumped over and over again because the basics are missing including the logic........Smith needs to seriously up his game because at the moment he is not showing that he belongs at this level. Yeah we've had a few good results but are they because we've been good or our opponents been substandard on the day?

I really want things to work out but it's not just the players, he's had long enough to at least get some organisation with them. You cannot expect those below you to learn if you don't learn yourself. I end with this, we as a team literally play like the thick kid in class who doesn't know what's going on. That's not acceptable. 

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Said he doesn't know when Reina is coming in or when a new striker is coming in, and that he'll have to talk to the sporting director after the game which I thought was interesting.

Reina was at the game wasn’t he? 

9 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

You were the voice of reason earlier in the season Tel, looking rough now because of the performance levels, eh? We were borderline 'good enough' with our best eleven available, but now half the team is missing we just aren't. Would love to be wrong, but not sure the window can save us. 

I’m not panicking I still think we have enough decent football in us to Win enough games.

Im not sure the issue is just about who is available though .. we are missing a few but it doesn’t excuse the below par levels of commitment ( mentally and physically).

Im sure it’s an incredibly tough ask for our players but Smith has to get a tune out of them more often than he is currently managing.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah, that's what the reporter asked him about, and he said he had no clue when he was coming.

That’s a very odd response isn’t it. Surely he’d be signing tomorrow after a medical? It’s been reported like that for several days. Wonder if PR was still mulling it over.

10 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Honestly it looked like the same amount of effort they gave during the Fulham game.  No tackles, barely any physical play. Just looked like they were trying to stay healthy.  Makes for horrible viewing but I get it. 

I agree and can only hope there is a good reason for that.

Trouble is the Watford and Saints games were the same.

• Like 1

we need some consistency today and balance . Week in week out were changing formations and players. You cant ever settle like this. He need to make up his mind !

What's disappointing is we expected a very difficult game and probably a defeat. I didn't expect us to give them the freedom of villa Park. Pathetic. !

Pep Guardiola teams ‘struggle’ against teams that have two defensive midfielders. I use the word struggle because Pep usually finds  a way around it . However his defeats and draws in Spain and Germany usually came against teams with the two defensive midfielders.

Dean Smith has to set up his team like this and we need to get closer  - we have conceded 50 more shots than the opposition. Whilst against Burnley it was fine because the shots were from 30 yards + , against teams with intricate play they have too many shots from 15-20 yards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

That’s a very odd response isn’t it. Surely he’d be signing tomorrow after a medical? It’s been reported like that for several days. Wonder if PR was still mulling it over.

Probably changed his mind

Â