Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Just got home from the game, absolutely speechless. The absolute minimum i expect is to get in the oppositions faces and show a bit of grit, we didnt. Truth is man city didnt have to get out of 1st gear to stick 3 past us within half an hour. 

Smiths team selection is what really worries me, it was bizarre at best, against 1 of the best teams in the world he starts conor hourihane in midfield, he drops guilbert who has the pace and abit of aggression what we needed today and puts in elmo its utter madness. Everything about today was horrible

agree, its the decisions being made that worry more than the results tbh.

What worries me is our pressing. We're pressing one by one, and at half distance. We don't cover the passing lanes nor pressing the ball carriers. 

At times we look organised while sitting back. But that's where it stops. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe he said something like he’d watch the match and make a decision (otherwise could have signed last week)? DS presumably think Reina will now be running a mile. Hopefully putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 as we’re desperate for a quality keeper

No it seems AC Milan were also waiting to secure Begovic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skruff said:

What worries me is our pressing. We're pressing one by one, and at half distance. We don't cover the passing lanes nor pressing the ball carriers. 

At times we look organised while sitting back. But that's where it stops. 

100%!

And by the way, this is not an overreaction to one defeat. Today I expected us to lose (not in the manner we did, but hey ho). But I've watched us all season and since early December we are by far the worst team in the league. Norwich, the bottom club, outplayed us at VP and we were fortunate to win. We were dire at Sheffield, at home to Southampton. We conceded 2 goals to a Watford team down to 10 men. Even Burnley away, we played well first half but reverted back to being shiiiite again in the 2nd half. Smith has had 15/16 months to get us playing similar type of football to that he played at Brentford and we're nowhere near it. Given how they're performing under the manager they have now, I'm inclined to believe it was Brentford's internal structure and system that enabled them to perform the way they did and not Smith himself. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Terrible injuries, no fit striker, has been given a weak squad (Which i'm sure he contributed as part of a transfer team) and we are well in with getting to a final of a cup and are 1 pt of the target for the season. 

Any talk of getting rid is utter madness at this point. Lets get a grip please. 

Can;t wait to get to the final to meet ....

Manchester City.....

Shoot me now...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah, that's what the reporter asked him about, and he said he had no clue when he was coming.

To me he made it sound like signings were nothing to do with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can;t wait to get to the final to meet ....

Manchester City.....

Shoot me now...

Would much rather lose to Leicester than get annihilated at Wembley like our last FA cup final. This match would be a bigger destruction as well.

The more I think about the current situation the more I think we need two key strikers who are ready to rumble and then give Smith until end of January.

long term he could be the solution as a villa fan and understands the mentality of the club.

we cannot just keep the merry go ROund going.

we have winnable games now and a semi final second leg. 

Feel like I have to believe it’s possible 

Since early December, Norwich, Brighton, West Ham, Burnley and Bournemouth have all taken less points than us, and Newcastle and Arsenal only taken one more point since then. So as bad as we've been, we haven't been the worst side.

Championship manager for me system change makes no difference lacks tactically awareness same mistakes weekly now not all his fault tho.The team looks deflated and flat.Lets be honest if he wasn't a villa man he would be gone already.Watford and Southampton made the change look like a different team were loosing touch.

Edited by ozvilla28
  • Like 2

On 09/01/2020 at 18:39, Stuartc445 said:

You're forgetting the modern football fan who 

He needs to drum into the players that they are playing for the supporters and we expect as a bare minimum 110% effort, that clearly wasn't the case today and if they can't comprehend that requirement then they need to be moved on asap. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What's strange is when you watch his post match interviews, he basically says and sees the same things as we do, but the players keep doing the same shite... Baffling

It’s almost like he’s not a good enough coach to transfer his message to them

55 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Difficulty is attracting good enough players when your in the bottom 3 and just got stuffed 6-1 at home. As I see it either owners really spend and maybe change the Manager or stick with Dean, accept likely relegation and continue club rebuild with more parachute money and inevitable funds from star player sales. mmmh! I say star players perhaps I should just say Jack. Also hope Nyland keeps his spot, not one goal today down to him 

Yep, signing quality players in Jan is difficult as it is and our precarious league position adds another level of difficulty. We have to find some though and I think we should spend whatever the club feels it can reasonably afford, in order to give Smith the best chance of keeping us up. 

We've recently won two league games and given ourselves a good chance of reaching the final of a major competition, so it's pointless talking about him getting the sack at the moment, as it's not going to happen. We'll see where we are after the next three against Brighton, Watford and Bournemouth.

• Like 2

I just don't understand what our style of play is supposed to be. We were promised a team that would attack opposition (regardless of who they are), and (to quote Bruce) "give it a go".  We play far too defensively, which is unfortunate as we cannot defend.  I think everyone accepted that this season would be tough, but I think people would be more forgiving if we were playing well with a positive identity (like Smith's Brentford team).  I honestly don't know what Smith is trying to do.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What's strange is when you watch his post match interviews, he basically says and sees the same things as we do, but the players keep doing the same shite... Baffling

This. It’s frustrating to see. Why aren’t we seeing improvements on the pitch? Is it on the players?

Â