Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The team selection contributed to the score line today, no doubt. Drinkwater shouldn’t have started, and neither should Elmo. Both those players culpable for goals conceded. Nakamba and Guilbert should have started, I think probably Trézéguet too. I like to think Smith put that lineup out to highlight to the men in suits that signings are desperately needed, pronto. That’s all I can take from this. 

Needs help from Suso. When Pep saw our starting 11 and formation he could have took of a couple of defenders as he knew there would be little to trouble them. Had the two up top been proper strikers they would have had more to think about. The ball never stuck up top did it.

That said it was a terrible decision to play Drinkwater and Hourihane, especially Drinkwater and Elmo for Guilbert made zero sense what so ever.

Apart from the above signing Drinkwater and then sticking him straight in is not great man management, what does Lansbury think.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

I find Smith’s policy on substitutes frustrating but as far as system goes, he’s made a recent change to 343 which was bringing some good results. We got smashed today but I’d still like to see if the recent upturn in form can continue. It’s going to be tough for any manager if we don’t get a good striker though. 

Change after change, I like the guy but he had no clue today, we didn't lay a finger on them. Listen to Souness now as good as slating Smith the way he set up and played against City.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

The team selection contributed to the score line today, no doubt. Drinkwater shouldn’t have started, and neither should Elmo. Both those players culpable for goals conceded. Nakamba and Guilbert should have started, I think probably Trézéguet too. I like to think Smith put that lineup out to highlight to the men in suits that signings are desperately needed, pronto. That’s all I can take from this. 

He dropped Nakamba for Drinkwater because of how poor he was on the ball against Leicester.  But the thing is we weren't going to have the ball today and Nakamba gets all over the pitch.   Should have been the same team as Wednesday.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Change after change, I like the guy but he had no clue today, we didn't lay a finger on them. Listen to Souness now as good as slating Smith the way he set up and played against City.

I agree we were woeful today but we weren’t the other week, away to Burnley and Leicester, so I’d like to see what we are like in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Drinkwater shouldn’t have started, and neither should Elmo. Both those players culpable for goals conceded. Nakamba and Guilbert should have started,

The amount of posts here and elsewhere online that said Drinkwater to start in place of Nakamba was unreal

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The amount of posts here and elsewhere online that said Drinkwater to start in place of Nakamba was unreal

Its so true.  Our midfield made it really hard for Leicestor on Wednesday but because they were poor on the ball fans wanted them dropped.  We actually needed the same midfield and same shape.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I agree we were woeful today but we weren’t the other week, away to Burnley and Leicester, so I’d like to see what we are like in the next few weeks.

I agree totally, but then why did Smith change the players and formation yet again.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

We played like this against Watford, Leicester H, Southampton, and even the Norwich performance was horrible.

Yeah that’s my concern.

Incredibly half arsed performance.

City or not, injuries or not, irrelevant game or not, there still has to be a minimum level of performance and this was nowhere near it, again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He dropped Nakamba for Drinkwater because of how poor he was on the ball against Leicester.  But the thing is we weren't going to have the ball today and Nakamba gets all over the pitch.   Should have been the same team as Wednesday.

We needed more legs on the pitch to close them down.We played a powder puff midfield with no strength or pace and they destroyed us.Drinkwater with no start this seaon against a City team like this was an error all day long

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That was pretty poor but you don't sack a manager after a shocking defeat against one of the best teams in the world. 

Have to bounce back against Brighton now.  

Smith tried something to make our midfield more solid in possession. It failed spectacularly.  All you can do there is throw that plan out and try something new against Brighton. 

Stands their and shakes all the city players hands like a star struck idiot. He’s too passive and his team reflects him with their passive approach to sides above us in the table. 

I know we’ll get the “I’m still backing him” 

my question is why? 

What have you seen in the static movement, continued selection mistakes, uncombatitive displays and bizarre substitutions over the past 10 weeks that makes you think this will get better? 

Norwich was fluke, Burnley are woefully out of form. 

I see nothing sentiment aside I’m beyond frustrated now I just want him gone. I like him and don’t want to get nasty he’s a nice bloke but I’ve lost my head with him now. Just sick of it that was disgusting being a fan is no excuse. 

Just now, foreveryoung said:

I agree totally, but then why did Smith change the players and formation yet again.

It was an odd selection, as bad as it sounds I had the thought that maybe he was resting players like Gilbert and Nakamba and getting Drinkwater match fit for the relegation 6 pointers we have coming up?

If true it’s a dangerous tactic because a big loss can kill morale. 

• Like 2

Â