Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We just need to bounce back.  Watford lost 8-0 to City  and Southampton lost 9-0 to Leicestor and both are above us now.  The way we play in the next game will show the character of the team.

Possibly so, but both of those are established Prem teams that were underperforming. They always had potential to improve and have when their managers adopted the best set up for the available personnel. Not sure we have the personnel or a manager who knows his best set up atm. The odds are very much against us.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nakamba and Luiz did this brilliantly on Wednesday.  Yes they kept losing the ball when won it back but they didn't give the Leicester players a second to breath.  Today the midfield was non existent. 

I agree mate. In spite of his other inadequacies Nakamba always has to start. He is a nuisance 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Watford changed manager

No they warranted results earlier this year but he managed some of them games potently he needs to go now. 

They actually changed managers twice.  They're owners don't mess about to be fair.  Both managers had kept them in the league before too.  In my opinion the biggest change for Watford has been the return of Deeney. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Not to bang on about this, but these players are just not good enough. That is our predicament, not Smith. 

No chap, the players aren't the best, but it's on Smith. We have regressed since the start of the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No chap, the players aren't the best, but it's on Smith. We have regressed since the start of the season.

Agree, playing Hourihane and Taylor week in week out is on Smith. 

At least give the team a fighting chance. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Difficulty is attracting good enough players when your in the bottom 3 and just got stuffed 6-1 at home. As I see it either owners really spend and maybe change the Manager or stick with Dean, accept likely relegation and continue club rebuild with more parachute money and inevitable funds from star player sales. mmmh! I say star players perhaps I should just say Jack. Also hope Nyland keeps his spot, not one goal today down to him 

Are you serious ? Nyland should have saved at least 2 and possibly 3 of those - was even ridiculed and called chocolate wrists by sourness 

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

At times we have, Everton, Newcastle for example. This is the frustrating part as we don’t have any kind of consistency 

Just recently we have been consistently poor actually, ( Burnley being the only exception ).

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Are you serious ? Nyland should have saved at least 2 and possibly 3 of those - was even ridiculed and called chocolate wrists by sourness 

Yep have to question what some were watching, what a ridiculous post. Nyland is a **** turd of a keeper, the worst in the league.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Just got home from the game, absolutely speechless. The absolute minimum i expect is to get in the oppositions faces and show a bit of grit, we didnt. Truth is man city didnt have to get out of 1st gear to stick 3 past us within half an hour. 

Smiths team selection is what really worries me, it was bizarre at best, against 1 of the best teams in the world he starts conor hourihane in midfield, he drops guilbert who has the pace and abit of aggression what we needed today and puts in elmo its utter madness. Everything about today was horrible

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Agree, playing Hourihane and Taylor week in week out is on Smith. 

At least give the team a fighting chance. 

Taylor is our only fit left back ffs and not first choice.  Hourihane has probably won us more points this season than anyone else too and doesn't play week in, week out either.  For once I agree with Souness, you can't really base too much on today's match against City.  Dean has changed things up recently with the change of formation which before today has worked pretty well.

Terrible injuries, no fit striker, has been given a weak squad (Which i'm sure he contributed as part of a transfer team) and we are well in with getting to a final of a cup and are 1 pt of the target for the season. 

Any talk of getting rid is utter madness at this point. Lets get a grip please. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's very easy to say the players aren't good enough, but today Smith's team selection was absurd. Elmo at RB over Guilbert, Taylor at LB (if Targett was injured ok, but Smith said he trained and was fully fit), starting Drinkwater, and he's seemingly dropped Engels recently in favour of Hause. Why this is I really don't know, Hause couldn't get in Wolves' team in the Championship, Engels has a lot more experience of top flight football and is clearly a better player. He also left Trezeguet on the bench despite the fact he would be a threat on the counter with his pace. It was a car crash of a team selection and 4 or 5 of the players who started today shouldn't have done. 

I think we're stuck with Smith regardless, but I wonder what will happen if he fails to win either of the next two games. If these owners are serious about us staying up and pushing on they need to consider if this man is really capable of delivering that.

i think i said similar for a previous game (Leicester maybe when we got battered?).

but, its actually not the score itself that bothers me, Man City are a good team, its as much the decisions being made as part of the losses that make me angry, as well as not doing the basics.

1) We dont press, harry, close down, or even do intelligent fouls, we are way too passive, this isnt something ground breaking, why arent we doing these things?, if Smith isnt all over this like a rash i wonder what they are doing all week?

2) Goals conceded point to a "bad defence", but i dont think that is the case really, defending starts from the front, as per my point 1, it isnt "skill", its just basics, and the fact we arent even doing that doesnt reflect well on Deano or the team, if the forwards and midfielders defended properly, and pressd/closed down properly, the defence wouldnt be under such pressure all the time.

3) Where is Engels?, if he isnt fit fine, but is he or isnt he?, if he is fit its criminal that he isnt in the squad, at the very least i owuld put Hause at LWB and Engels in to the central 3 to get Taylor off the pitch.

4) Targett, is he fit?, if so he should also be in there, if he isnt as per point 2, Taylor is cr*p, put Hause at LWB.

5) Elmo replacing Guilbert, complete madness, total complete madness, these type of random changes from Deano make me question his ability to actually even pick a team.

6) Drinkwater, to be fair i dont even blame Drinkwater, he has played less games than i have fingers on one hand in the last couple of years, he should have been brought on as a sub for the next 5+ games to get him both fitter and up to speed, to drop him in from the start is all on Deano for me.

7) Hourihane, imo he's an impact sub, he isnt a starter, another version for me of Deano making weird choices, how many times does Hourihane have to show he doesnt offer anything other than an impact sub before we realise!?!

8 ) Deano selecting Taylor/Elmo, Targett & Guilbert should be in those spots 100%, if targett is injured should be Hause at LB (if we can cover him at CB), Deano seems to have some weird thing about leaving critical players out for specific roles, its infuriating.

I think point 1/2 are probably the biggest issues we have, but the other points also point to strange decision making for me, i can stomach a loss, i can stomach getting battered sometimes, but seeing the decisions related to these losses makes me face palm.

I think with 2 good signings up front we might be ok, but i am certainly concerned, if we cant learn to fight, press, harry, fould intelligently, not stand off etc, we are in trouble, and these are basics, no excuse for not working hard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Hourihane has probably won us more points this season than anyone else

9pts against Norwich twice and Newcastle at home. That's about his level and should never play in midfield when defensive abilities are needed 

Edited by Kiwivillan

Â