Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Pimlico_Villa said:

No one else that would be a legitimate target for us could get any more from those players. 

People were saying the same about the dreadful, hopeless squad when Bruce was in charge. 

We have a limited squad, with injuries to key players. I'd still be happy with 17th and expect us to do it. 

This isn't as bad as Lambert and O'Neil Chelsea losses. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The team he picked was not far off the best available. Drinkwater shouldn't have started, instead Nakamba (who at least wouldn't have let Mahrez beat him twice FFS), and Guilbert should have started instead of Elmo, but apart from that, what else could be different?

The fact is we largely have a crap squad, and that crap squad are looking quite likely to be playing Championship football next season, sans Grealish and Mings.

So that's 2 out of 11 he could have got better

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

People were saying the same about the dreadful, hopeless squad when Bruce was in charge. 

Difference is though, I think this is actually these players playing at their max. I don’t think they were with Bruce. They are just not good enough, technically or physically. 

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We likely  drop if we stay with smith but let’s not forget the likes of tuanzebe , mcginn , mings , Grealish and Abraham were huge last season - we will not have any of those in the championship next season and will not be going back up under dean smith in my opinion 

Yes it will be a new fresh start and we maybe able to start again with the sale of Mcginn and Grealish, it's looking like we will have money to build at least.

My thoughts is that we need to get our signings right before we properly invest if we drop.

People can say the players aren't good enough, it's still all we hear from the fans who are empathetic to Smith.

But with no fight, strength, motivation, shocking subs, systems, well that has to come directly from the manager, an coaching staff. You cant start to see any quality without it!!

Watford is the proof in the pudding.  Changing managers early is harsh, but it works!!

• Like 2

Just now, Pimlico_Villa said:

Difference is though, I think this is actually these players playing at their max. I don’t think they were with Bruce. They are just not good enough, technically or physically. 

I felt like this, then I saw the Watford game.

Their squad isn't much better than ours, but compare the workrate and fitness of them to us? Watch any other PL team working when their opponent has the ball, or getting in to space when their team has the ball. then watch us.

We don't even get the basics right. It's like the players have given up. 

I don’t think a new manager will get much more out of our current injury ravaged and inexperienced squad. 

You could see with Watford and Everton that they had Premier League players who were underperforming, a change of management is logical.

There is nothing to suggest we have a Premier League quality squad at the moment, a new manager is not going to rocket us up the league.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

People can say the players aren't good enough, it's still all we hear from the fans who are empathetic to Smith.

But with no fight, strength, motivation, shocking subs, systems, well that has to come directly from the manager, an coaching staff. You cant start to see any quality without it!!

Watford is the proof in the pudding.  Changing managers early is harsh, but it works!!

I'd say it's both, it's right in our face that Smith and the players are not good enough it's not one or the other it's both.

Then you also lay the blame at suso and the scouts because they are aiding in bringing these players in.

There's alot of blame to pass around but no one is owning up and making things any better, until that happens we won't move forward in treating the wounds.

Edited by Dave-R

I think they’ll most likely let him have the next two games to win. That’s achievable.

beat Brighton and beat Watford and it’s a slightly different situation.

however if we lose both of those we will struggle to get someone in with enough time to save us 

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So that's 2 out of 11 he could have got better

Think he will have thought Guilbert needed a rest for the next (more important) game after running himself into the ground the other night, just on that one. Can’t understand starting Elmo otherwise.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

He has found a formula which works for us 3-4-3 and then he changes it again. Trezeguet works hard and would have kept their defenders back, Nakamba and Luiz work well together defensively if not the best going forwards. Instead he plays a lightweight Hourihane and two years out of shape Drinkwater. Oh and Elmo is awful. 

• Thanks 1

No doubt dean will lament the lack of strike option but it was pretty clear we started the season far too light in that area - it’s no surprise and Susu should be heading out of the door too - recruitment has been shocking 

No excuses for conceding 6 at home. Absolutely embarrassing performance, picking a player who's hardly featured in 2 years and threw him straight in against that city side was suicidal. As bad as it was though it was a free hit game. The next 3 games are massive and we need some signings in ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I find Smith’s policy on substitutes frustrating but as far as system goes, he’s made a recent change to 343 which was bringing some good results. We got smashed today but I’d still like to see if the recent upturn in form can continue. It’s going to be tough for any manager if we don’t get a good striker though. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's starting to seem like EVERY manager we have had in recent memory has a problem with making changes ffs.

With subs or formation? If the former, I don’t think it matters who he brings on really, as there is such little quality in depth. 

• Like 3

What I would like to ask is, if Terry is the defensive coach, together with having Smith and O'Kelly who also played defence, how can we so bad defensively? We are atrocious! We gifted goals today for the umpteenth time this season. 

Is it time to bring in some new backroom staff maybe? 

Â