Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I don’t think they will keep him based off of performances. If the thinking was ‘hey, even if we get relegated we need to keep Smith’ then surely that was based on going down with a fighting spirit. They look truly awful and Smith has leant hard into the long ball, plodding style of play he had here. I don’t think they will stick him if it stays as it is. I think this move has set him back a few years imo.

This is what I don't get about Smith - he's sort of going down the same road Lambert did. Started off with progressive attacking football, but has slowly regressed into dour hoofball.

One of the bigger criticisms of his time here was that we couldn't play vs 10 men. 

Now I see Liverpool fans and Klopp complaining about a similar thing. Maybe it wasn't so easy after all 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Farke got a job today for some Russian league team

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not a bad job either. They were in Europe last season 

Invading?

Edited by TheStagMan

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

This is what I don't get about Smith - he's sort of going down the same road Lambert did. Started off with progressive attacking football, but has slowly regressed into dour hoofball.

The negative football started when he appointed Shakespeare

Under JT and ROK we played good football

• Like 2

I’m not sure why he took this job. Will 100% be relegated, nothing he can do about it, he will Shoulder the blame, be fired and end up managing someone like Ipswich. Should have waited for a better opportunity either at a high end championship club or a not-the-worst team in the premier league 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m not sure why he took this job. Will 100% be relegated, nothing he can do about it, he will Shoulder the blame, be fired and end up managing someone like Ipswich. Should have waited for a better opportunity either at a high end championship club or a not-the-worst team in the premier league 

Agree 100%. That said if he can stay on, managing Norwich in the Championship is a decent gig, and could turn into a platform to long term success. Suspect he’ll do what he did at Villa then lose his job to a European no mark when they are back in the Prem. 

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Did Norwich really expect Smith to keep them up? If they're content with bouncing between divisions they should have stuck with Farke.

I don't blame them for being content with that. 

The alternative is to spend oodles of money and put the future of the club at risk when it doesn't work. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't blame them for being content with that. 

The alternative is to spend oodles of money and put the future of the club at risk when it doesn't work. 

Absolutely. I just think that Farke, who has got them promoted successfully from the Championship, as Champions, twice in a row, was the obvious choice to manage them.

Unless he wanted to leave.

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Did Norwich really expect Smith to keep them up? If they're content with bouncing between divisions they should have stuck with Farke.

I think they did, otherwise why sack Farke if they were content in going down? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

I said this many times. Went down in my estimations slightly when he ran into this job. He should have thought more of himself that he would get another job in the prem, instead of flapping and taking the Norwich job. It won't do his reputation any good at all, I doubt he will manage in the Prem again after this.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I said this many times. Went down in my estimations slightly when he ran into this job. He should have thought more of himself that he would get another job in the prem, instead of flapping and taking the Norwich job. It won't do his reputation any good at all, I doubt he will manage in the Prem again after this.

People keep saying this but I really don't see who else would've taken him on in prem so really at best he'd have had to wait for top end championship job to come up like for Chris Wilder at Boro.

For all Norwich's woes they win today and Watford don't and they are 1 point off 17th so still loads to play for and they have more winnable games over next two months so you never know.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Don't think so. 

Teams around them have games in hand. 

The current  table doesn't tell the whole story. 

Mental side though isn't it

I'd rather have points on the board and a win in my last game than a game in hand and no wins in the last 7 or 8

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Mental side though isn't it

I'd rather have points on the board and a win in my last game than a game in hand and no wins in the last 7 or 8

Still think they will be 6-7 points off safety once games starts to catch up. 

Â