Dean Smith

Demitri_C

17 hours ago, nick76 said:

No chance there would be clauses like that.  We let him go from the contract, it’s not one of the circumstances where a clause based severance would be used.  He would’ve been paid an agreed amount, financial ties with the club severed, end of story.

Unless we put him on a type of gardening leave and drip fed a salary to prevent him taking another job which I'm not sure if we've done under previous owners or our managers have just been shit and not taken another job 😂

And the speculation thing, it's not FM, he won't deal with it, firm offers and the like then I'm sure his role increases but if Newcastle do want to buy Cantwell they don't email Dean Smith asking how much he wants 

So yeah he doesn't deal with speculation... And with the amount of shite floating around in the media I'm not surprised when he says I don't know either

Can’t see Deano lasting much longer, they’re absolutely awful. I hope they’re smart and allow him to stay on regardless as he’s the man they will need to try get promoted next season, but as things stand it doesn’t look good at all

4 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I dont get how they can be so good at  Championship level yet so horrendously out of their depth once promoted. Plenty of clubs come up and manage to not be as awful on their first go - this is Norwich's 3rd try at it, and of anything they get worse

the club dont really care once they get the money, its a strange approach and makes the club sustainable but it must be frustrating for fans. I think it will be the 6th Premier League relegation

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the club dont really care once they get the money, its a strange approach and makes the club sustainable but it must be frustrating for fans. I think it will be the 6th Premier League relegation

It isn't strange if you are not owned by billionaires, and to coin a American phrase, in a small market city.

In the last 20 years they have been a lot more successful than Ipswich who you could argue are the bigger club in that part of the world.  If they keep Smith I am fairly confident he could get them straight back up.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 2

Look at the teams in recent years who have got promoted and actually stayed up for more than a couple of seasons. Us, Newcastle, Leeds. Big city clubs with resources. Most of the others usually go back down again. That is why Brentford are such a well run club as they appear to be bucking that rule. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Look at the teams in recent years who have got promoted and actually stayed up for more than a couple of seasons. Us, Newcastle, Leeds. Big city clubs with resources. Most of the others usually go back down again. That is why Brentford are such a well run club as they appear to be bucking that rule. 

The second season will hit Brentford like a ton of bricks

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Pep would do a terrible job there

They're shit

Agree about him rushing in to though, how shit they are and the lack of ambition isn't a well kept secret 

Farke won a game then they sacked him! Reacted too quickly in my eyes 

i said in another thread, i find it sad watching Norwich currently.

I know Norwich's possession style didnt keep them up, but they were very easy on the eye under Farke (for better or worse), since Deano has gone there, they are still losing but they are playing the same kind of "lump it up the pitch" style that we saw at Villa in the last 6+ months of Deano's time at Villa.

What happened to the swash buckling "Brentford style" that Deano was so set on?, i do wonder if that was all an illusion, or something has changed Deano's outlook...dunno.

17 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

The second season will hit Brentford like a ton of bricks

i think this one has. they got a few points early on but i maintain they were the worst side we've played this season the other day. how they won that i'll never know. battered the other night by a poor southampton side

i'd wager them to finish bottom next season

back on topic, i really feel for deano but there was no way he wasn't taking that job. chance to stay in the PL was always going to be taken and they will as a minumum give him till xmas to see how they're doing in the champ. it would always have been in their thoughts

besides, can't imagine they have the money to keep paying compensation to managers they sack

Did he rush into it with assurances he won’t be fired if relegated? I think it makes sense if he wants this time to bed in and get his squad working and just in case they’re relegated (which looked still pretty clear back then) it’s a running start in the championship.

Edited by a m ole

Farke got 2 consecutive 1st place finishes in the Championship with them.

Smith will be under massive pressure if they go down and he keeps his job.

Anything less than top 2 and he'll be a goner.

Edited by villalad21

Have to look at the bigger picture... Norwich's last six games have been: West Ham, Crystal Palace, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Man Utd, Tottenham... On paper given that Palace was away and they were at home against us, we were probably the easiest of those games, which illustrates what a difficult run it's been. Also given their lack of investement any manager will struggle with them, it's not just about lack of investment, they have spent some money, but that money doesn't seem to have helped, been spent as wisely as it could have been, so perhaps it's their recruitment that needs looking at more than the manager.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, PaulC said:

6 league defeats in a row, no way will they keep him if this losing streak continues. 

thats 11 straight PL defeats for Smith (over Villa (5) and Norwich (6) back to back), wonder what the loss streak record is in the PL by one manager?

• Confused 1

Â