Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Why is there a meltdown in here every time Norwich lose a game, they were always going to lose games and they've had an incredibly difficult run of fixtures mixed with some bad luck. Even then, they've already taken as many points with Smith as they did with Farke and in less games, so it's not as if it's been a disaster for Smith.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah was such a strange choice. Think he had some credit it the bank to secure a better PL job but that's all but gone now. 

Wilder couldnt get back in, Howe took 2 seasons to get a job when he was about 25th choice

Sean Dyche has done a great job at Burnley but he isnt getting another Premier League job either unless a team like NOrwich comes calling

• Like 1

Poor decision by both Norwich and Dean IMO. Dean made a big "emotional" decision to jump back into management. That rarely works out!  Could he have held out for an England role? He has a good development record with young players, and international football isn't the same beast as the domestic game. I think he would be perfect for the U21 or possibly the level below that. His personality and skill-set would suit it a lot more IMO. And there is a possible pathway to become England manager too.

Dean simply isn't a Premier League manager IMO, I also have big doubts whether he can take Norwich back up too. I can see him going the same way as the likes of Dowie, Adkins etc. He needs to be honest with himself.

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wilder couldnt get back in, Howe took 2 seasons to get a job when he was about 25th choice

Sean Dyche has done a great job at Burnley but he isnt getting another Premier League job either unless a team like NOrwich comes calling

He could have taken a team up again. Baggies job would have suited him when Ismael get sacked. But I think he reasoned like you do here.

14 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

He could have taken a team up again. Baggies job would have suited him when Ismael get sacked. But I think he reasoned like you do here.

Think West Brom were 2nd when Smith got sacked. Didnt look they would collapse so quickly 

I dont think there fans like him either

I think Wilder was a disgrace in his last season. They were completely abject and everyone knows his behaviour with the board and wanting to leave and get a pay off multiple times.

Smith had kept Villa up twice and kept us after a bad run of form but also out the relegation zone.

I just think bad job bad club and if they continue like this he'll be sacked before the start of next season 

• 2 weeks later...

Dean is fine. He's double dipping right now being paid by 2 clubs. After this Norwich gig is over he will be able to enjoy his 2 fave pastimes. Golf and being a Villa fan. He'll be living the dream. 

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Dean is fine. He's double dipping right now being paid by 2 clubs. After this Norwich gig is over he will be able to enjoy his 2 fave pastimes. Golf and being a Villa fan. He'll be living the dream. 

It would be interesting to know how much we are actually still paying Smith as I’m sure there would be clauses in there reducing his severance pay if he got another job.

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It would be interesting to know how much we are actually still paying Smith as I’m sure there would be clauses in there reducing his severance pay if he got another job.

I would say we paid him up fully. He wasnt so highly paid and did a great job so I dont think the club would have cared about other positions

I like Smith but he isnt Conte or Poch who could have went to United etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

No chance there would be clauses like that.  We let him go from the contract, it’s not one of the circumstances where a clause based severance would be used.  He would’ve been paid an agreed amount, financial ties with the club severed, end of story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

He apparently got 1.3 mill when sacked. Not bad aye, since he was on 45k a year with Walsall FC not too long ago. 

This is why I thought he was daft taking that Norwich job. Could chilled with the family for Christmas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

He apparently got 1.3 mill when sacked. Not bad aye, since he was on 45k a year with Walsall FC not too long ago. 

This is why I thought he was daft taking that Norwich job. Could chilled with the family for Christmas.

The nature of the job is to make hay while the sun is shining. He'd have been made not to take the job. 

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

No chance there would be clauses like that.  We let him go from the contract, it’s not one of the circumstances where a clause based severance would be used.  He would’ve been paid an agreed amount, financial ties with the club severed, end of story.

Its quite common. Poch would have lost most of his compensation if he went to another English club but was less if he went abroad

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its quite common. Poch would have lost most of his compensation if he went to another English club but was less if he went abroad

It happens but it’s very rare actually, that only happens when it’s mutually agreed to part ways as they call it, Poch was continued to be paid until he got a new job.  Most of the time, ties are cut there and then whereas Poch was basically put on garden leave as part of his package.

Â