Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Pleased for Dean.

Watford away next week...not impossible they could grind out a win from that and suddenly they're out of bottom 3 and closing in on a few teams above them like Everton.

Unlikely but he's in no danger of getting the sack pulling off these type of wins every month.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

2 games behind though

Burnley-Watford is one fixture that was cancelled so that won't matter too much unless Watford win there.

Think Burnley also got to play Spurs and Leicester in other games called off so not likely they'll get 3 points from either.

Watford are favourites to stay up imo but they've only got 1 point from last 8-9 games so might only need 30 points to stay up this season.

He can steer them out of the relegation zone, if he can find a way to mastermind them to a victory against Watford on Friday. A Watford win would mean Newcastle being seven points from safety, Norwich win would lift them out of the bottom three, worst scenario would be a draw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

It would be astonishing if he kept them up.

He won't, they are definitely down.

He does like working miracles though...

He would definitely win manager of the season probably decade if he did that. 

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It would be astonishing if he kept them up.

He won't, they are definitely down.

He does like working miracles though...

Did he really perform miracles here?

Fair enough going up was some achievement given we were miles off the pace after Stoke away and neeeded to reel off 10 straight to get into top 6 but look back to where we were early December 2019 and we were pretty much top 6 before the awful run started.

And in 19/20 we'd just won 2-1 v Watford and this was points total:

Aston Villa 2-1 Watford: Hosts fight back to earn dramatic win at Villa Park - BBC Sport

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith said his players would have "a lot of belief" after they scored an injury-time winner to beat Watford and move out of the Premier League relegation zone.

Played 4 more games but our points total after 24 games this season probably won't be a huge amount more than back then. Think we lost 6-7 on the bounce straight after beating Watford which is a very DS thing to do.

Totally agree though this will be his greatest achievement if he keeps Norwich up. If you think back in early 2020 Norwich had 17 points then and were 6 points off safety then shows how bad the bottom 4 really are this season and it will probably be less than 35 needed to stop up.

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Fair enough going up was some achievement given we were miles off the pace after Stoke away and neeeded to reel off 10 straight to get into top 6 but look back to where we were early December 2019 and we were pretty much top 6 before the awful run started.

Aston Villa 2-1 Watford: Hosts fight back to earn dramatic win at Villa Park - BBC Sport

Played 4 more games but our points total after 24 games this season probably won't be a huge amount more than back then. Think we lost 6-7 on the bounce straight after beating Watford which is a very DS thing to do.

Totally agree though this will be his greatest achievement if he keeps Norwich up. If you think back in early 2020 Norwich had 17 points then and were 6 points off safety then shows how bad the bottom 4 really are this season and it will probably be less than 35 needed to stop up.

Getting up, then staying up were both miracles for me.

Look at the team we had. Wouldn't have done it without Grealish obviously, but many other managers would have gone down with what we had. Barely any PL experience in the entire team.

Norwich would be incredible as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

This was our lineup that day against Watford:

image.thumb.png.2e2dcb774bf1b6164a06a17a78c8a89a.png

I'd very much class staying up with this squad that season a miracle (as well as Suso being hard done by for getting the sack. He did pretty well to put together a squad that could stay up for 140m, all things considered).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Getting up, then staying up were both miracles for me.

Look at the team we had. Wouldn't have done it without Grealish obviously, but many other managers would have gone down with what we had. Barely any PL experience in the entire team.

Norwich would be incredible as well.

I wouldn't class it as a miracle personally.

We had Tammy, McGinn and a few others from the previous play off final still as regulars. Would Steve Bruce been dubbed a miracle worker if we'd gone up the previous year on here? No and it was arguably a weaker team that season if we class Snodgrass and AEG as same level at championship (I'd also rate Mings ahead of Chester).

And in 19/20 I thought we made a mess of being practically relegated after 35th match before the incredible final few weeks.

Remember all the ridiculous points we threw away in opening months like 2-1 up away to 10 men Arsenal after 80th and still losing? And after that Watford game we only needed 10 more points so could've been safe by start of lockdown but played dismally at likes of Bournemouth and Southampton and messed up the Spurs game aswell which was also winnable at the time.

I think when you talk to other fans they generally respect DS but point out the 200m thing (which is debatable) and that no other promoted team for a long while has had someone of the quality of Grealish who is obviously worth a good 10-15 points. Certainly Sheffield United and Leeds didn't have anyone near that quality when coming up and also massively lacked prem experience in certain areas unless we're counting Bamford's two games on loan at Crystal Palace.

Overall he did well for us, not miracle well though. Would still love him to keep Norwich up though as that would really prove himself a top level manager imo (even last season for all our good play we really should've finished top half).

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This was our lineup that day against Watford:

image.thumb.png.2e2dcb774bf1b6164a06a17a78c8a89a.png

I'd very much class staying up with this squad that season a miracle (as well as Suso being hard done by for getting the sack. He did pretty well to put together a squad that could stay up for 140m, all things considered).

Well McGinn and Luiz were both injured I think so of course miles off the midfield that started that season.

Also the point where we didn't actually have a CF with Wesley and Davis injured and Samatta about to be signed.

Put Ings in that team and we'd have finished 14th with him scoring 15 goals I reckon so that's what we missed out in that period.

Back 3 is what we still regularly play so to me only GK and CM is massively better these days considering plenty on here still rate Gulibert.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well McGinn and Luiz were both injured I think so of course miles off the midfield that started that season.

Also the point where we didn't actually have a CF with Wesley and Davis injured and Samatta about to be signed.

Put Ings in that team and we'd have finished 14th with him scoring 15 goals I reckon so that's what we missed out in that period.

Back 3 is what we still regularly play so to me only GK and CM is massively better these days considering plenty on here still rate Gulibert.

Luiz scored from the bench. Experienced Danny Drinkwater was seen as a needed player

Team we played vs City week before was worse, Lansbury coming off the bench and forward line of Anwar and Grealish 

Yes Smith did an amazing job when you read it back 

They wont stay up. Newcastle will get out of it annoyingly. 

But this will keep deano in a job whoch is great as i think he brings them straight back. Also hoping if they do go down he thumps blose and Albion if they still in championship 

• Like 1

Â