Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

thats 11 straight PL defeats for Smith (over Villa (5) and Norwich (6) back to back), wonder what the loss streak record is in the PL by one manager?

Potentially and even probably Paul Lamberts efforts for us will be among the podium. 

This game can be both ruthless and unforgiving. Kudos to Smith for moving on to his next challenge immediately, and you cannot deny that it is a difficult challenge he took on. It shows he has the heart to test and have faith in himself regardless of whether or not he achieves the aims and expectations, and how his reputation looks. There's an adage that one should be more concerned with one's character than one's reputation, because with character we can stand on our own two feet and decide for ourselves, however if we pander always to how people talk about us, we allow anyone to point the finger and tell us we are no good.

Unfortunately for Smith, I wonder if the adage that says a warrior who picks his battles wisely is the one who will have the best chance of success in surviving and being victor.

Could it be that he is not afforded another chance at the top tier without considerable displays to suggest that is his level?

I've not really heard much about Lambert since he was unable to deliver as expected for us all those years ago. He was being touted as one of the best emerging managers.

11 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I've not really heard much about Lambert since he was unable to deliver as expected for us all those years ago. He was being touted as one of the best emerging managers.

Lambert's problem was that he wouldn't learn the language. If you want to manage in England u needed to learn English. Bielsa is the first to get an interpreter, Lambert should have done this. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

thats 11 straight PL defeats for Smith (over Villa (5) and Norwich (6) back to back), wonder what the loss streak record is in the PL by one manager?

Farke probably has it. I think they lost every game after lockdown and about 5 to start this season 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Lambert's problem was that he wouldn't learn the language. If you want to manage in England u needed to learn English. Bielsa is the first to get an interpreter, Lambert should have done this. 

I honestly never really got much of the humour from Family Guy. I feel like that might be what's happening again here.

I always thought it was a weird move for Smith, it was always going to be impossible for him to keep them up. Personally I think he was worried that as he wasn’t a big name, he would be forgotten about and wouldn’t get another top level job. 

• Like 1

I said at the time when they were so bad v Newcastle's 10 men for pretty much entire game they'd rue that game.

They have played some tricky matches in last few weeks in fairness so I assume they have some bottom half teams to play home and away in next two months. Does have the feel of us in 15/16 currently in they'll just lose every game but I think eventually they'll draw a couple and win the odd game as they did under Farke.

I think they lost 9-10 straight after lockdown when they were last relegated and keep Farke so I don't think they'll dismiss DS unless they lose 20 straight.

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

the club dont really care once they get the money, its a strange approach and makes the club sustainable but it must be frustrating for fans. I think it will be the 6th Premier League relegation

It's the same board as they had around 2015 e.g. Delia and the old bloke alongside her who's her Husband I think.

If you look at their signings back then they got in Van Wolfswinkel for about 15m and had to practically give him away in the end. Steven Naismith came in for around 10m after decent Everton spell and completely flopped aswell. I remember reading some ITK from someone who lived by Yossuf Mulumbu when he was at West Brom and apparently when he moved to Norwich he was on about 70k a week! Decent player but they way overpaid for their main signings in that period and after getting burned I think they just resolved to be more sustainable next spells in prem.

That did have some logic last time with likes of Aarons, Cantwell and Buendia all up and coming and they were only a point or two off us when lockdown hit so staying up was still realistic. Now those first two haven't kicked on at all and their team is just poorer than two years ago.

10 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i said in another thread, i find it sad watching Norwich currently.

I know Norwich's possession style didnt keep them up, but they were very easy on the eye under Farke (for better or worse), since Deano has gone there, they are still losing but they are playing the same kind of "lump it up the pitch" style that we saw at Villa in the last 6+ months of Deano's time at Villa.

What happened to the swash buckling "Brentford style" that Deano was so set on?, i do wonder if that was all an illusion, or something has changed Deano's outlook...dunno.

Wonder if it's to do with him not working with O'kelly for first time in over a decade. Shakespeare I think is good choice but what worked at Leicester was hitting it up quickly for Vardy and build from there so I imagine he's directing that on training pitch but it's doomed to fail with what they have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Wonder if it's to do with him not working with O'kelly for first time in over a decade. Shakespeare I think is good choice but what worked at Leicester was hitting it up quickly for Vardy and build from there so I imagine he's directing that on training pitch but it's doomed to fail with what they have.

I think things started to take a turn when Shakespeare arrived. It’s no coincidence that Terry and O’Kelly left so suddenly. I don’t know if I blame Shakespeare, but something wasn’t right with the setup. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I always thought it was a weird move for Smith, it was always going to be impossible for him to keep them up. Personally I think he was worried that as he wasn’t a big name, he would be forgotten about and wouldn’t get another top level job. 

I think he's a manager that likes to be settled at a club and has an ability to have a "long-term" view over things.  Norwich is pretty much perfect for that (as were the projects at both Brentford and Villa).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think he's a manager that likes to be settled at a club and has an ability to have a "long-term" view over things.  Norwich is pretty much perfect for that (as were the projects at both Brentford and Villa).

I agree, but if he continues as he is, will he get that long term at Norwich or will they want a fresh start in the championship. 

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I agree, but if he continues as he is, will he get that long term at Norwich or will they want a fresh start in the championship. 

I think they'll keep him even if they go down and, further, that this would've been part of the thinking in hiring him in the first place.

I guess the exception would be if they just lost every game and looked a complete shambles.  He might get pushed then.

• Like 2

I don’t think they will keep him based off of performances. If the thinking was ‘hey, even if we get relegated we need to keep Smith’ then surely that was based on going down with a fighting spirit. They look truly awful and Smith has leant hard into the long ball, plodding style of play he had here. I don’t think they will stick him if it stays as it is. I think this move has set him back a few years imo.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Â