Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Really hope it goes well for him there. Even a slight improvement in form and a 18th or 19th finish would be a good start for him to go into Championship with a bit of momentum.

If he keeps them up (v unlikely), he’s a miracle worker.

Edited by KentVillan

Good news and I wish him well (other than against us and if their good results would have a negative impact on us) as I'm sure each, and everyone of us does.

This is almost a win-win for Dean. Keep them up and he's a miracle worker, if not bring them up again next season (which is par for the course) but that still gives him another promotion on his CV. Bring them up next season and then keep them up, he's a miracle worker again. Bring them up and then leave before they go down again, that represents the safest choice. 

Edited by John

8 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

You asked if our pre-season was actually poor or just a false narrative. You get numerous replies pointing out the many ways our pre-season was less than ideal. 

Now your pivot is that professional players don't need a pre-season. Which is an even crazier statement.  You seem out of your depth on this one maybe just sit this topic out. 

The lengths people will still go to, now that he's done, to have a pop at the man. So strange.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Oooff this feels like when your ex girlfriend moves on with someone new and it feels like a kick in the balls, even though you know it was your decision to end it you didn’t expect them to move on so fast. 

No it doesn't. It feels like your ex has jumped into a brand new relationship with a bucktoothed loser going nowhere in life with quite possible a skag addiction.

It doesn't hurt. It's more concern

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rino8 said:

Surprised he's jumped so quickly. I'm sure he could have got a better job if he waits around. Going to Norwich makes his first challenge getting promoted again next year instead of any objectives this season

Would he? I don't think he would have got another premier league job this season. Rodgers may possibly go to United but I think Leicester would probably go for somebody else. He will get Norwich back up and he will have another crack in keeping them up.

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Would he? I don't think he would have got another premier league job this season. Rodgers may possibly go to United but I think Leicester would probably go for somebody else. He will get Norwich back up and he will have another crack in keeping them up.

Going off topic but I’ve been surprised Brendon hasn’t been strongly linked with the United job, he looks a good a fit as anyone.

I think the Norwich job for Smith is a good one if they don’t sack him for getting relegated. Hopefully they are all sensible enough to face the reality of the situation they are in.

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

Going off topic but I’ve been surprised Brendon hasn’t been strongly linked with the United job, he looks a good a fit as anyone.

I think the Norwich job for Smith is a good one if they don’t sack him for getting relegated. Hopefully they are all sensible enough to face the reality of the situation they are in.

Brendan managed Liverpool, the Utd fans would be on his back after 1 defeat. 

I’d like to hope Smith has this as a building job, as everyone in the media think Norwich are already down 

Good luck Dean! A great appointment for Norwich, if he gets as much faith put in him as Farke did I am sure he will create a great set up and maybe even establish Norwich as a long term PL team.

First job is a very difficult one - I hope he manages to keep them up!

Happy for Dean. I'll be rooting for Norwich when they aren't playing Villa. 

Incredible that he's right back into a PL job without missing a single weekend of action! Don't think this has ever happened. 

Probably won't keep them up, but he can definitely get them promoted again.

Glad VP can give him a proper show of appreciation when we play them.

14 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

You asked if our pre-season was actually poor or just a false narrative. You get numerous replies pointing out the many ways our pre-season was less than ideal. 

Now your pivot is that professional players don't need a pre-season. Which is an even crazier statement.  You seem out of your depth on this one maybe just sit this topic out. 

There was no pivot to that professional players don't need a preseason. The point I referred to regarding professional players was in relation to the disruption of switching a game from the Saturday to the Sunday. This should have made zero difference to our preseason prep. Further, I didn't say they didn't need a preseason. Preseason is regularly used as a significant factor for Dean this season. I am questioning how much of a factor it was. We only missed one game and that was in July against Forest.

BTW, I love the irony of you suggesting that I seem out of my depth on this topic :)

10 hours ago, LondonLax said:

You thought our preseason was ok?

There was plenty of commentary on here at the time about what a disaster of a preseason it was and a lot of dread at what that might mean for our season. 

I know the preseason wasn't ideal, but it was back in July. I am not sure why it is still being used as an excuse for our results in November

9 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

@Peter Griffin Those posts of yours are starting to look a little obsessed. Are you trying to say that our pre-season was absolutely fine, and not disrupted at all? Because that is how it reads. If so, that is an utterly ridiculous thing to say. 

Shitting on Smith at every opportunity and praising Gerrard even though a ball has not been kicked and he has LESS experience than Smith, but somehow is a nailed on thing?? Wow, just Wow. 

I am not shitting on Smith at every opportunity, I am discussing Smith. Smith did a fantastic job during his time at Villa. Promotion, cup final, premiership retention and 11th, plus a few brilliant games to remember, most notably against Liverpool. I have also said that Gerrard is not my first choice and he is a risk. However, some people can't take off their 'Dean Smith is God' glasses for long enough to actually see what is posted

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Wonder if by joining Norwich so soon, the amount of compensation we pay out is reduced? 
Good on him for taking the role, he’s not a huge profile so the longer he went without a job, the less his name would be linked. 
Wish him well (unless playing us)

I think the way clubs structure compensation is like gardening leave. So he will be entitled to the amount of money we would pay him till the expiration of his contract. If we paid him1.5m and NCFC pay him 1m then we would pick up 500k a year from us. The alternative is that he could have agreed a final separation amount with us on exit.

49 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

There was no pivot to that professional players don't need a preseason. The point I referred to regarding professional players was in relation to the disruption of switching a game from the Saturday to the Sunday. This should have made zero difference to our preseason prep. Further, I didn't say they didn't need a preseason. Preseason is regularly used as a significant factor for Dean this season. I am questioning how much of a factor it was. We only missed one game and that was in July against Forest.

BTW, I love the irony of you suggesting that I seem out of my depth on this topic :)

Multiple people have now upgraded you on how the disruptions to our pre-season go far beyond a cancelled/rescheduled game. 

You for, whatever reason have chosen to ignore all of that information, and focus on a rescheduled game. Usually when you find yourself alone on one side of an argument you should probably stop talking and try listening. You have decided to keep digging and who am I to get in your way. Proceed ⛏️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, calcifer said:

Happy for Deano, just hope we tonk Norwich when we play them, just imagine if he kept them up at the expense of us lol! 

When's the last time we lost to Norwich in the PL? We even beat them the year we got relegated. 1 of 3 wins. We are their bogey side. Couldn't lay a glove on them in the Championship though (apart from that one Keinan Davis masterclass).

Â