Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Recruitment policy definitely needed to be looked at, not making use of the loan policy was stupid and naïve. We should have had a mix of new signings, loans and reliance on some youths as back up. 

2 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I feel that mistakes have been made from Purslow’s appointment of Suso to JT given an assistant coach apprenticeship.

I have had reservations about DS whilst he was at Brentford. The assistant manager appointed by their director ultimately improved Brentford in many ways and he is now about to lead them to the PL as their manager.

Dean Smith has not produced the results. He has made numerous poor decisions and he cannot apply the knowledge he speaks of in interviews.

Suso has not identified the right players and as a collective him and DS do not work. One if not both  need to be gone by this time next month latest.

As I said previously, we should look to Germany for a new manager and DOF. This summer we try to retain our core players and sell our high profile players and build on from there.

No ifs or buts both smith and Suso should be shown the door asap 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It is, yeah.

And we've brought Mallet's Mallet to a gun fight.

Ha ha. I used to love Mallet’s Mallet! I think Timmy might do a better job of motivating the players than Dean

• Like 1

Blaming fatigue is embarrassing when we were playing a team on their 51st game of a 12 month (so far) season having only used 20 players. 2 of whom aren’t at the club anymore. 

• Like 3

Whilst we don’t have the best team in the world is it really any worse on paper than perhaps a third of teams in the league? I wouldn’t have said so.

We looked promising at the start of the season, particular in the first half of games. But now we are diabolical: Defensively all over the place, so slow and ponderous every attack and zero cohesion.

Is the fact we are still in touching distance of 17th enough to excuse that? No chance.

• Like 2

It's really sad but he's morphing into every other mediocre plodding along managers in English football.

Same lack of ideas, same excuses, same lack of results. 

A lot has happened on the way so it's understandable, but this is not the same Smith as when he came here. The spark is gone. 

He's becoming just another one of them.

• Like 1

Would any of our strikers start for the teams we are fighting against?

Would our keeper? 

Would nakamba, hourihane and hause?

I think we've got maybe 3 players that would get into the teams around us. 

I don't believe in curses or jinxes or this " why do we always get it wrong, we have such bad luck " The answer simply is we just make bad choices, continually. Recruitment, management. We've traded on our name and history to try to stay somewhat relevant for a long time now but and take Liverpool for example. They were getting nowhere despite their history, always falling short. So their recent success was borne out of sheer hard work. From the top down. Elite ownership, their academy has kicked on, recruitment fantastic and a superb manager with a tactically fantastic brain who keeps his squad highly motivated BUT it didn't come in under the carpet and land at their feet. Trading on their name got them nowhere. They worked very hard. From the top down, we aren't sharp enough. Aston Villa just don't work hard enough. Right through.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Would any of our strikers start for the teams we are fighting against?

Would our keeper? 

Would nakamba, hourihane and hause?

I think we've got maybe 3 players that would get into the teams around us. 

This is the thing for me. Our squad is laughably bad to the point where I’m not convinced anybody could get much more out of them than we’re seeing now.

Davis, Hourihane, Nyland and Hause weren’t good enough in the championship. I don’t think Trezeguet or Nakamba will prove to be good enough for the Championship.

I don’t see any lack of effort in this lot, they’re just simply nowhere near the level that’s needed to stay in the league.

I’d actually be thinking about playing some of the kids at this point. That’s not even to give them experience or anything. I just genuinely don’t think they can be any worse than some of those starting games at the moment. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, penguin said:

Whilst we don’t have the best team in the world is it really any worse on paper than perhaps a third of teams in the league? I wouldn’t have said so.

We looked promising at the start of the season, particular in the first half of games. But now we are diabolical: Defensively all over the place, so slow and ponderous every attack and zero cohesion.

Is the fact we are still in touching distance of 17th enough to excuse that? No chance.

If Nuno has been in charge of our team all season we would comfortably have stayed up. We have the worst manager in the league

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, penguin said:

I think so. Especially with some of the injuries. 

I said just above, that IMO we have about 3/4 players who might get into the starting 11 of the teams around us. And that's a big might.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

It cracks me up reading the match thread. 

Like I said over there, people were desperate for Jack to play central as if that was the problem. Turns out no, he's pretty ineffective in that position as I expected. Then you have people screaming for 2 up top as if that will solve everything and once again turns out no because quick reminder, we have the worst strike force in the entire league. Then to top it all off you have people moaning again to change something and the only pissing options we have are the 2 wingers EVERYONE wanted dropped. 

These players are not good enough full stop, no matter the tactics or formation. It's not as if we got smashed today, these players just couldn't have less killer instinct if they tried. 

We're going down and the sooner you all chill out the better, it makes watching Villa a lot less stressful. 

DS has tried different formations with different players enough times this season for us to conclude the following:

players are just very poor

coaching equally poor

player motivation non existent.

On a positive note, there is enough of a core to perform ok in championship but very good recruitment now required to produce a promotion winning team.

Dean said he was looking forward to going up against the likes of Klopp and Guardiola in the post promotion interview.

Not too sure he'll be looking forward to Liverpool next Sunday..

Edited by villalad21

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

A manager who chop and changes every week is never a good sign.

I never know what lineup we are going with. Can't be easy for the players.

What are your thoughts on Pep Guardiola.

Â