Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Always someone else's fault in his interviews. Should be fun.

I hear you on that and I think it goes as deep onto other situations especially signings and coaching. To be honest I think theres alot of secrecy at Villa at the moment that is not needed, so it's tough to pinpoint any blame in the right direction.

Just now, av1 said:

I've touched on this a few times. Smith has a way of playing, as evidenced by the first 5/6 games. 

For some reason he has ditched his philosophy. 

This is the really sad thing for me, it’s like he’s either lost confidence in himself and his philosophies, or he’s actually just a decent championship coach who is just coming up short against simply better managers.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I've touched on this a few times. Smith has a way of playing, as evidenced by the first 5/6 games. 

For some reason he has ditched his philosophy. 

Because it left us too open and we conceded to many goals , so now he has gone Bruce ball and made us play more with an eye on not losing than winning.Sure we look tighter at the back but that's because we pass sideways and offer sod all going forward as no one ventures forward and we lack pace to play on the counter. 

• Like 2

Just now, Woody1000 said:

This is the really sad thing for me, it’s like he’s either lost confidence in himself and his philosophies, or he’s actually just a decent championship coach who is just coming up short against simply better managers.

I think it's the former mate. Those first 5/6 games it was pass pass pass, and even though we didn't have the players to do it really, I thought it was still a good idea to try and instill what he wanted from the off. 

That literally changed over night, so I wonder aswell if there was any influence from players, because it wasn't a gradual thing. 

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Or he doesn't have the players at his disposal to do much better? 

3 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Because it left us too open and we conceded to many goals , so now he has gone Bruce ball and made us play more with an eye on not losing than winning.Sure we look tighter at the back but that's because we pass sideways and offer sod all going forward as no one ventures forward and we lack pace to play on the counter. 

Not sure I agree with that mate. Smith has played a certain way all his career. You buy better defenders before ditching what you've done your entire career. 

The change happened too quickly, something forced that imo. 

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I woukd like to think they would already have a plan B in place

For me that is the crucial thing Andy. To my mind we should always have a plan B, probably C,D and E too. Even if we were doing well we should always have a backup plan. In the past we’ve sacked managers and then started looking for a replacement. Well run clubs are always willing to upgrade when possible. I don’t mean constant chop and change like Chelsea, but I remember when Southampton got Pochettino in, I thought they were crazy, but they knew what they were doing. 

Other clubs sack managers and appoint their successor the next day. We seem to have some sort of Corinthian good old fashioned gentlemanly attitude. That’s all very laudable but we live in a dog eat dog world full of Rottweilers and we’re a poodle.

I can stomach being relegated, but if we don’t demonstrate real ambition and real football nous when recruiting our next manager and staff, we’re going nowhere fast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not sure I agree with that mate. Smith has played a certain way all his career. You buy better defenders before ditching what you've done your entire career. 

The change happened too quickly, something forced that imo. 

But was it his philosophy, or was it Brentford's. They seem to be doing ok without him.

3 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Any job would have its minimum target & KPI to meet. I remember our management keep repeating  they didn’t expect us to be promoted last  year. So most likely Smith may get another year.. 

Do you really want another year of unfettered dross?

Regards,

VLD.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

But was it his philosophy, or was it Brentford's. They seem to be doing ok without him.

He was the same at Walsall. 

29 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We are closer to survival than we were before the restart. No delusion there, that's a fact.

Through blind luck and a goal that never was. Nothing to do with our “fight”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

When the horde is started to get on your back then the pressure starts piling on which in turn makes you feel like change is inevitable. 

A change was coming it had to, I dont think changing formation is changing his philosophy, we still went there and for most of the game ruled the state of play. I dont think wolves played us off the park, I really dont. I think the 1 nil that wolves won us by deceives the whole game, thinking our players took it to them,the whole shame of it all is we had tons of chances and just couldn't put anything away. 

It's our front line that's been the let down, all seasoning have shouted it and you can see it every week. Have you noticed how we had more bodys in the middle that the opposition couldn't hit us constantly, that we could actually hold onto the ball, keep it and take it back,  I noticed it. Like I said though our front line and our midfield was the problem all along but people kept on blaming the defenders and keepers. Yeah ok Nyland had a couple of stinkers but he easily also kept a few good attempts out to, I'd still have Reina in though.

I mean to be honest even Taylor once swapped for Target actually had a decent game, for me though the stand out player once again was Douglas Luiz, hes been exceptional since restart. 

None of our subs could make an impact, we just dont have the bench and a fit John McGinn maybe could of aided in changing a game but hes a fair bit away from that and we may not see it till next season.

Let's face it we played a wolves side and for the entirety of a match played them off the park, wolves had spells, but we were the dominant team just no sharp edge. Wolves are chasing Europe for a reason and we gave them it much better than what I thought we would, could of easily been a draw if not for our players being useless in front of goal.

Even though I thought it was better the question is do i want Smith here at end of the season?? the answer is if we survive I dont think I do so long as we find much better a Coach/manager. If were relegated however unless we can attract someone to carry on Smith's work, improve and make it better, then yes maybe Smith for a season in the championship isnt such a bad idea, at least give him half a season unless he cocks it up quicker.

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

For me that is the crucial thing Andy. To my mind we should always have a plan B, probably C,D and E too. Even if we were doing well we should always have a backup plan. In the past we’ve sacked managers and then started looking for a replacement. Well run clubs are always willing to upgrade when possible. I don’t mean constant chop and change like Chelsea, but I remember when Southampton got Pochettino in, I thought they were crazy, but they knew what they were doing. 

Other clubs sack managers and appoint their successor the next day. We seem to have some sort of Corinthian good old fashioned gentlemanly attitude. That’s all very laudable but we live in a dog eat dog world full of Rottweilers and we’re a poodle.

I can stomach being relegated, but if we don’t demonstrate real ambition and real football nous when recruiting our next manager and staff, we’re going nowhere fast. 

Bang on Dave and hits the nail on the head.

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I actually can't remember last time we won a game.

Don't know how winning feels like.

8 games ago.

Since then we have mustered two points. And apparently we are fighting to survive. Waving the white flag more like.

1 minute ago, Graham t said:

Do you really want another year of unfettered dross?

Regards,

VLD.

Of course not .. but our owners may view Smith overachieving in his first year , as they didn’t expect Smith would get us up so fast & gave him another chance. 

I personally don’t see how Smith can get this batch of players to play to his brand of football, its such a mismatch, or maybe Smith is all hype after all, as seemed Brentford has done much better after he left, and also despite selling their top striker.. 

• Like 1

Â