Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

Then you're living in dream land. 

Tell me all the teams that barely achieve 17th and do so in style and playing great football? 

Its just not something that really happens. Most teams who barely survive grind it out playing ugly football. 

There’s a world of difference between expecting “great football” and expecting us to look like we have the semblance of a plan.

Nuno Espirito Santo is a very good coach .... Dean Smith has shown himself to be a limited coach who appears to be totally out of his depth in the Premier League. Every time the camera is focussed on our 'management' huddle it becomes apparent that it is actually Richard O'Kelly doing all the talking about tactics, with Smith and Terry looking on silently bemused.

The gulf between Santo and Smith is huge, and it showed today.

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

We've sort of tried multiple things, but it's looked more like just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

What even was he formation today - 4132?  What was it last game - 4411?  When we had 3 central defenders was it 3 at the back or 5?

He's tried putting various combinations of 11 players on the field, but we've always ended up playing like some sort of amorphous blob.

I agree. 

We had a short spell where 3 at the back looked decent. And while I wasn't a huge fan of wesley, who knows if we could have built on that before he and Heaton went down  

I think smith deserves criticism for this. But I also think it shows how poor the squad is. There is literally nothing that even sounds like it would work with the players we have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

My defence is only against the stupid over the top posts. 

I think he deserves criticism. He is not doing a great job. But, for me, I said 17th is our league title at the start of the year and I think he deserves to try and see that out. If he doesn't then he's failed his job. 

I think that's fair.

The only question I'd ask of you is what have you seen in the last 4 games that suggests 17th place is still a possibility?

Other than doing "the right thing", I personally am lost for reasons to keep him on.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think he deserves criticism. He is not doing a great job. But, for me, I said 17th is our league title at the start of the year and I think he deserves to try and see that out. If he doesn't then he's failed his job. 

i think most agree with this. i don't see any point in sacking smith now (unless he's lost the dressing room, which i'm not convinced he has)

if nothing else, if only for what he did last season, he deserves the last 6 games

• Like 1

He's certainly at fault, he's the manager after all but when we have to start Nyland, Konsa at RB, Hause, Hourihane, Davis and also bring Taylor on after 10 mins then I don't think it matters too much who is in charge. We just badly lack any quality, it's not like he hasn't tried to change the formation, nothing seems to be even looking like working. We are way too easy to defend against and with who we have available I can't see that changing.

Just now, DCJonah said:

BUT ITS THE MANNER OF THE LOSES.

Everyone on this forum is trying to tell you, it's not that we are losing games, it's how we are losing, without fight. That's down to Smith!!

Id say smith is as bad as sherwood at premier league level. He is utterly useless as a pl manager.

Id take chrissy hughton any day. He has champiomship and pl experience.

Even potter is doing a better job than Smith 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

What makes you think that DS would listen to JT ? I am sure the whole backroom staff were telling DS that Wesley should not start every game BUT he did, didnt he for a total of something like 1 goal every 2 months but Smith stuck with him.I think that JT did suggest a different defence but Smith just would not listen.

JT would be a great choice as manager ( even for the short term ) he knows the squad,the first team and I am sure that with his experiance he would come up with better tactics than Smith.I also think that he could motovate the players,IMHO that is all that these players need,some decent mptovation.

Ok - you "think" Terry suggested a different or new defence. Neither you or I would have such inside knowledge.

What managerial experience has Terry got ? Better tactics ? There's a well worn phrase about great footballers not making great managers.

Hardly a great choice, but I'm not intending to get in to a slanging match; just that our opinions on the matter differ vastly. FWIW I agree Smith is out of his depth now. 

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I think that's fair.

The only question I'd ask of you is what have you seen in the last 4 games that suggests 17th place is still a possibility?

Other than doing "the right thing", I personally am lost for reasons to keep him on.

I'm not overly confident we will achieve it. I think its a possibility because at the moment we are on the same points and have gained ground on West ham and Bournemouth. 

I think its going to be an ugly one if we manage it but I don't think we are out of it yet. 

That might change over the next few weeks but right now we are still in that mix. 

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree. 

We had a short spell where 3 at the back looked decent. And while I wasn't a huge fan of wesley, who knows if we could have built on that before he and Heaton went down  

I think smith deserves criticism for this. But I also think it shows how poor the squad is. There is literally nothing that even sounds like it would work with the players we have.

Not denying the squads poor but its the manner of the losses.  We just have no fight or passion. Where the friggin hell is urgency???

Also he sits therelike a clown not screaming at them. Why the helm is JT showjng more passion taking the hiddles before the game?

He just seems too noce and abit of a wimp. He has to go.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

BUT ITS THE MANNER OF THE LOSES.

Everyone on this forum is trying to tell you, it's not that we are losing games, it's how we are losing, without fight. That's down to Smith!!

No they aren't. There are plenty of ridiculous over the top posts. 

I would add. Wolves have ripped teams apart this year.

For most of the game we had 

3rd choice keeper. 

Back up rb

Back up cb 

Back up lb 

4 of our back 5 unit are players not usually picked to start in their position.

I mean, I know smith deserves criticism for some things but how many teams would be succeeding in these circumstances?

23 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

No offence Eastie but JT cant even sort the defence out never mind the rest of the team 🙄

Don’t get me wrong , I am not saying JT is the right man for the job but I’d rather he took the next 6 games than dean smith did . 

I think the owners need to show their ambition and really target a top manager and give him the financial backing next season whatever division ,  suso and smith should both be out the door and purslow should be given the bollocking of his lifetime by the owners for presiding over this shambles 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Based on our performances since Christmas, there’s more likelihood of a rerun of Love Thy Neighbour on TV than us finishing 17th.

• Haha 1

I feel that mistakes have been made from Purslow’s appointment of Suso to JT given an assistant coach apprenticeship.

I have had reservations about DS whilst he was at Brentford. The assistant manager appointed by their director ultimately improved Brentford in many ways and he is now about to lead them to the PL as their manager.

Dean Smith has not produced the results. He has made numerous poor decisions and he cannot apply the knowledge he speaks of in interviews.

Suso has not identified the right players and as a collective him and DS do not work. One if not both  need to be gone by this time next month latest.

As I said previously, we should look to Germany for a new manager and DOF. This summer we try to retain our core players and sell our high profile players and build on from there.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Smiths been on radio nlaming fatigue. Sorry mate but utter bollocks. Excuses and a desperate man.

Dead man walking 

Smith has always blamed anyone or anything rather than himself , look in the mirror dean for once and accept some blame yourself 

Needs to go asap... Good managers get poor players playing better. Poor managers make good players look worse. 

You cannot get progressively worse during a season and expect to keep your job it is that simple. For that reason alone he needs to go. 

One of my pals spoke to a first teamer pre Sheff Utd who said that most the players don't give a shit. It shows....If it is true then it also shows the lack of leadership off the pitch. 

• Like 1

Â