Christian Purslow

villan-scott

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I derar we actually have a highly rated keeper in our youth team. I think he is from Finland?

Onodi you mean? Hungarian I think but Finland is a close enough guess for an Englishman.😉

P.S I have no idea where you're from, just felt like making the joke.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Onodi you mean? Hungarian I think but Finland is a close enough guess for an Englishman.😉

P.S I have no idea where you're from, just felt like making the joke.

Aren't Hungarian and Finish linguistically  quite similar?

Not that much to do with football in fairness.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Scott Carson says hi.

It wasn't ideal but he fitted the role for a season even if he wasn't very good after the England error and then we just went and signed Friedel for 3m and sorted the keeper position for a few years.

Considering Carson was going to cost 10m it was good we took him on loan than sign him outright and be lumbered with a keeper lacking in confidence and so joined likes of Shorey, Davies, Beye, Reo Coker etc in the O'Neill bomb squad.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Apparently so. I had an Hungarian colleague a few years back and he said something about the language being not similar to any of the countries around but very similar to Finnish. Also, the peolpe who settled in Hungary and Finland came from Mongolia originally.

15 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Apparently so. I had an Hungarian colleague a few years back and he said something about the language being not similar to any of the countries around but very similar to Finnish. Also, the peolpe who settled in Hungary and Finland came from Mongolia originally.

Interesting. Budapest is a great city. Apart from the prat who is the president.

54 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't speak either of the languages but my understanding is that they are significantly distinct and mutual intelligibility is virtually non existent. They are thought to be similar because they are part of the same language family, but by the same logic you would expect English, Russian and Farsi to be similar, as they are all Indo-European.

Finnish and Estonian are much closer to one another, but I'm not sure to which degree they are mutually intelligible 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WooJung said:

I don't speak either of the languages but my understanding is that they are significantly distinct and mutual intelligibility is virtually non existent. They are thought to be similar because they are part of the same language family, but by the same logic you would expect English, Russian and Farsi to be similar, as they are all Indo-European.

Finnish and Estonian are much closer to one another, but I'm not sure to which degree they are mutually intelligible 

I thought this was the Purslow thread. My mistake. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WooJung said:

Your understanding is correct, and a gold star for the eloquent explanation!

So when Mr Purslow travels to negotiate the transfer of the Finnish player Glen Kamara he cannot bring his Hungarian interpreter. They could just speak English. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

Is it facetious to say that when clubs are run by people such as Tony Xia etc. is FFP not a good thing??

(Tosses hand-grenade and leaves...)

FFP doesn’t stop reckless owners loading clubs with debt.  But it does stop our owners putting in as much as they want without creating any debt.  Strangely...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

No offense to Hungarian and Finnish Villa fans but I am butchering your ancestors as I liberate Tsushima from the Mongol yoke! :)

6 hours ago, WooJung said:

Finnish, Hungarian, and Estonian all have similar grammar rules but with different vocabulary. The Finnish-Hungarian dictionary would be like an English-Icelandic version. Finnish and Estonian are more comparable...Estonians can generally understand Finnish, but Finns rarely know Estonian.

Source: I'm a foreigner in Finland.

7 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Sinisalo. 

In English: William Blueforest

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I thought this was the Purslow thread. My mistake. 

I tried to find some relationship between Christian Purslow and Finland, but this thread is actually the top hit on Google...

• Like 2

Â