Christian Purslow

villan-scott

• 2 weeks later...

BBC Sport article on the above interview. Nicely done Purslow!

Project Big Picture is "highly unlikely to get traction within the Premier League," says Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow.

The plan's backers want to reduce the Premier League from 20 to 18 clubs and scrap the EFL Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54535326

Iโ€™ve never been Purslowโ€™s biggest fan but I think it is important that we have someone like him with a level of media profile and hopefully some presence within the PL.

As a club we need to be more bold and not simply along for the ride.

• Like 1

Good to hear it laid out like that, completely and utterly the wrong way of doing this and Parry should be replaced, I honestly think heโ€™s been bribed. Cannot blame clubs below prem in serious financial peril for backing it.ย 

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Iโ€™ve never been Purslowโ€™s biggest fan but I think it is important that we have someone like him with a level of media profile and hopefully some presence within the PL.

As a club we need to be more bold and not simply along for the ride.

He is very eloquent and comes across as some one that knows what he is talking about. That interview is a bomb. Completely exposes the real sham behind the Liverpool, Man Utd, EFL agreement.ย  The fact that they even discussed them outside of formal channels is the problem.

The fact they did so and came up with a self serving solution isn't news.

Be interesting to see if they respond to it,ย  as I'd love to know why they thought it was ok to discuss it amongst themselves rather than with the actual Premier League.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Good to hear it laid out like that, completely and utterly the wrong way of doing this and Parry should be replaced, I honestly think heโ€™s been bribed. Cannot blame clubs below prem in serious financial peril for backing it.ย 

In any other kind of organisation that is exactly what would happen, but unfortunately the top table of seemingly all football associations is staffed by similarly minded sicophants.ย 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He is very eloquent and comes across as some one that knows what he is talking about. That interview is a bomb. Completely exposes the real sham behind the Liverpool, Man Utd, EFL agreement.ย  The fact that they even discussed them outside of formal channels is the problem.

The fact they did so and came up with a self serving solution isn't news.

Be interesting to see if they respond to it,ย  as I'd love to know why they thought it was ok to discuss it amongst themselves rather than with the actual Premier League.

The going direct to press avoiding official channels, with a plan which is deliberately planned to fail from the outset (there is NOTHING in it for the remaining clubs needed for the 14 club majority) is clearly part of whatever political game is being played here.ย 

They will have their reasons for doing that though it seems like a PR disaster* for them, even their own supporter groups have come out against it.ย 

They are either just staggeringly arrogant or this is all a smokescreen for what comes next.ย 

* I am so disappointed in the press for not calling out Liverpool and Manchester United for the despicable way they've gone about this.ย 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The going direct to press avoiding official channels, with a plan which is deliberately planned to fail from the outset (there is NOTHING in it for the remaining clubs needed for the 14 club majority) is clearly part of whatever political game is being played here.ย 

They will have their reasons for doing that though it seems like a PR disaster* for them, even their own supporter groups have come out against it.ย 

They are either just staggeringly arrogant or this is all a smokescreen for what comes next.ย 

* I am so disappointed in the press for not calling out Liverpool and Manchester United for the despicable way they've gone about this.ย 

Suggestions they've done it intentionally to then be able to distance themselves from the Premier League on the grounds of a falling out and disagreement about the direction football is heading in.ย  They can use this to start the conversations on forming a breakaway league.

Maybe they'll try and argue that they were disillusioned by the lack of action from the Premier League and took out into their own hands, and should be applauded for getting the conversation started.ย 

There aren't many scenarios where they come out of this looking good, but i assume they are very smart people and have thought of one that will sell well.ย  Very interested to hear what it is.ย 

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Suggestions they've done it intentionally to then be able to distance themselves from the Premier League on the grounds of a falling out and disagreement about the direction football is heading in.ย  They can use this to start the conversations on forming a breakaway league.

Maybe they'll try and argue that they were disillusioned by the lack of action from the Premier League and took out into their own hands, and should be applauded for getting the conversation started.ย 

There aren't many scenarios where they come out of this looking good, but i assume they are very smart people and have thought of one that will sell well.ย  Very interested to hear what it is.ย 

Yep it's preparing for the European super league you'd think. If Brexit has taught us anything it's that if you stick at it for long enough you can make an enemy out of your friends just by insisting hard enough. Create a big rift and then off they go into their no promotion or relegation super league...

15 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Well done Purslow.ย 

Gives me the chills every time I hear an interview with him, he looks and sounds like Ted Bundyย ๐Ÿ˜„

As some who has a fascination with serial killers (donโ€™t judge) a comparison with bundy has never crossed my mind with purslow.

Iโ€™ve just read the BBC article and Purslow certainly doesnโ€™t mince his words. I think he has his faults but this sort of thing is his domain and Iโ€™m glad heโ€™s in our corner.ย 

As many have pointed out this could well be an opening gambit but equally it could just be a mark of the two clubs in questionโ€™s extreme arrogance.
This arrogance is of course nothing new, but their American owners with their win at all cost this, is a business first and foremost attitude have possibly accentuatedย this.ย 
ย 

I donโ€™t think that all Americans are like this and would like to think that Wes Edens sees a broader and fairer picture. What the owners of MU and LFC fail to understand is that without proper competition football is no longer attractive. The two of them scrapping it out every year with little genuine competition from anyone else will eventually lose itโ€™s attraction and the goose that laid the golden egg will die. Not that theyโ€™ll care they have no cultural empathy for football or the millions who love it. The only game in town for them is money and theyโ€™ll soon find another field to play on.ย 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Hope Cristian was wearing his Smiling Johan Lange T-shirt for the meeting, or better still having Johan stand behind him the whole time grinning.

• Haha 1

ร—
ร—
ร‚