Christian Purslow

villan-scott

3 hours ago, Jareth said:

Good to hear it laid out like that, completely and utterly the wrong way of doing this and Parry should be replaced, I honestly think he’s been bribed. Cannot blame clubs below prem in serious financial peril for backing it. 

Parry is a Liverpool fan and he was one of the people behind setting up the Premier League which has caused this huge mess in the first place

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Good to hear it laid out like that, completely and utterly the wrong way of doing this and Parry should be replaced, I honestly think he’s been bribed. Cannot blame clubs below prem in serious financial peril for backing it. 

I don't think you can place that much blame for this farce on Parry. He's sat on an impossible situation right now. A lot of the clubs under the EFL umbrella are on their knees and only a small percentage of those have any realistic hope/ambition of playing top flight football. He's trying to beg, borrow and steal as much money as he can as quickly as he can to stave off disaster.

The fault of this lies in...

1. The Premier League as by it's very definition it was set up to create a situation where the bigger clubs take a bigger percentage of the broadcast revenue.

2. The government for allowing unsustainable business practices within football to go on for far too long.

3. Man Utd and Liverpool for exploiting the situation the EFL are in to try and take control.

Personally, I think the solution has to be for the PL to look at being more equitable to rest of the pyramid. It won't happen though. The PL won't be happy with Man Utd and Liverpool doing a dodgy backroom deal with the EFL and trying to railroad the rest of the clubs into accepting this...be a shame if they were booted out. Again, it won't happen though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I am still bemused how this got so much coverage, especially from the BBC. The Premier League opposed it, the FA opposed it, the DCMS opposed it and only 2 clubs out of the  20 ever put their name to this utter nonsense.

and yet in some form or other (with some minor fake 'compromises' by Liverpool/Man Utd) it will happen anyway. 

Maybe not straight away, but within the next 2-5 years we'll end up with what they have proposed.

58 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I don't think you can place that much blame for this farce on Parry.

Yeah I totally understand why below prem clubs want and need to go for it and in that light Parry has their support and is representing them properly. However, Parry also knows full well the implications of the proposals, and I have to wonder why he felt it sensible to negotiate with two prem clubs and not the league itself - the only conclusion is that he knew the answer he would get so has arranged a plan to force this through via the back door. Pretty dispicable act to knowingly use the desperation of efl clubs to force change upon the entire pyramid with the clear and obvious effect of concentrating power in a self named 'top six'. The guy's bent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

and yet in some form or other (with some minor fake 'compromises' by Liverpool/Man Utd) it will happen anyway. 

Maybe not straight away, but within the next 2-5 years we'll end up with what they have proposed.

Maybe or maybe not. One of the USP (I know cringe) is that on any given day a lower place team 'can' give one of the big boys a bloody nose. Like Nowich beating Citeh last year or us beating Scousepool this year.  Some sort of compromise will happen in which the Premier League will give or loan monies to the EFL for the short term. I can't see the prem dropping to 18 any time soon. The League Cup could well be scrapped though  as most teams seem very ambivalent on it and doesn't  really generate a huge wad of cash. Shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

I don't think you can place that much blame for this farce on Parry. He's sat on an impossible situation right now. A lot of the clubs under the EFL umbrella are on their knees and only a small percentage of those have any realistic hope/ambition of playing top flight football. He's trying to beg, borrow and steal as much money as he can as quickly as he can to stave off disaster.

The fault of this lies in...

1. The Premier League as by it's very definition it was set up to create a situation where the bigger clubs take a bigger percentage of the broadcast revenue.

2. The government for allowing unsustainable business practices within football to go on for far too long.

3. Man Utd and Liverpool for exploiting the situation the EFL are in to try and take control.

Personally, I think the solution has to be for the PL to look at being more equitable to rest of the pyramid. It won't happen though. The PL won't be happy with Man Utd and Liverpool doing a dodgy backroom deal with the EFL and trying to railroad the rest of the clubs into accepting this...be a shame if they were booted out. Again, it won't happen though.

No doubt the English game is at a tipping point.  Right now, if the winner of the Championship doesn't immediately spend upwards of £100 million on squad improvements they will finish bottom of the Prem. Teams like Sheffield United buck the trend at times but if they don't start spending at the required levels then they too will be sent back down.

Presently, a club's wage bill is one of the key ways to determine league finishing position.  That is a fact that holds true at all levels of the pyramid. If true goal is to restore a fairer competition level then a hard salary cap on wages/transfers will need to be established. Without a hard cap, Clubs will seek every avenue to increase revenue, and rightly so, because in the end that is how you ensure success in the present day. 

In a way the American owners of liverpool and ManU have shined a massive spotlight on the  loopholes that currently exist in the English games. This would be a perfect time, if the FA is serious about progressive change, for them to address these flaws and find an equitable solution for all of the professional clubs and not just the highest earners. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Purslow has really been out on the campaign trail over this. Is there a news outlet he hasn't spoken to? It's quite incredible really.

I love it that Purslow is on our team rather than on the opposite side.

He knows what’s what and how to sort out any issues.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

I don't think so. That particular proposal is dead in the water.

There will undoubtedly be changes, but that has been happening for many years to get us to the unfair position we now have. The top teams have to be careful, or they could kill the game completely.

Competitively the game is already a shadow of what it once was.

26 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't think so. That particular proposal is dead in the water.

The owner of Liverpool (John Henry) has stated that Project Big Picture won’t be going ahead for now, but ALL the items on their list are still on the table and will be discussed over the next few months.

Purslow has basically become the leader of the other 14 clubs now, so it’s Purslow vs Henry in a battle for the soul of English football.

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

The owner of Liverpool (John Henry) has stated that Project Big Picture won’t be going ahead for now, but ALL the items on their list are still on the table and will be discussed over the next few months.

Purslow has basically become the leader of the other 14 clubs now, so it’s Purslow vs Henry in a battle for the soul of English football.

Purslow will drop kick that biatch over the Atlantic quicker than mammy suck ribs at a haloween turkey raffle 

• Haha 4

Wage cap will never work. Cat's out the bag. Will end up like rugby where all the best players went to France where there was no wage cap. It even happens now to a certain extent with old players going to China/MLS/Middle East. Except it would be players in their prime not has beens. Only way to have half a chance would be for it to be UEFA-wide. 

12 hours ago, ender4 said:

Quite proud of our guy for standing up to the `big boys'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Wage cap will never work. Cat's out the bag. Will end up like rugby where all the best players went to France where there was no wage cap. It even happens now to a certain extent with old players going to China/MLS/Middle East. Except it would be players in their prime not has beens. Only way to have half a chance would be for it to be UEFA-wide. 

Make it FIFA wide and you’re on to something.

EDIT: Also whilst your at it, limit agent fees to a maximum percentage value and make it so agent fees must be payed directly by the player represented, not from the clubs.
Both single transfer and yearly cumulative transfer fees should also be capped at an absolute value (ie not linked to club revenue). It can still be a stupidly large number like £100m per transfer and £150m cumulative, but even this would prevent another Neymar deal causing hyperinflation of the market.

Edited by mikeyjavfc
  • Like 2

Â