Christian Purslow

villan-scott

And this is something they figured out halfway into the summer window during our second season in the PL?

I don't know, while I think what he's saying is partly true it's also partly because we've not been able to land our targets and he want's to if not save face then at least deflect a bit.

Pls correct me if I'm getting this wrong. What if we say **** off to Uefa and the PL and spend over the FFP limit? From what I saw in the past is that you either get nothing (man city) or you get punish by reducing your registered squad in Europe (wolves). Why should we comply if there seems to be no punishment?

And was there something about relaxing FFP due to covid as well?

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

And this is something they figured out halfway into the summer window during our second season in the PL?

I don't know, while I think what he's saying is partly true it's also partly because we've not been able to land our targets and he want's to if not save face then at least deflect a bit.

No.

The FFP podcast is from February this year.

The interview is 8 months old.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HongKongVillan said:

Pls correct me if I'm getting this wrong. What if we say **** off to Uefa and the PL and spend over the FFP limit? From what I saw in the past is that you either get nothing (man city) or you get punish by reducing your registered squad in Europe (wolves). Why should we comply if there seems to be no punishment?

Exactly.

Besides, I thought Purslow was heavily involved with FFP founders or am I mistaken?

1 minute ago, HongKongVillan said:

Those punishments were handed out by UEFA in relation to European competition, as is the Covid relaxation. We are dealing with the Premier League’s FFP rules which, as far as I’m aware, are completely separate. If we were to break those the PL (as in the other 19 teams who are adhering o them) could decide to deduct points - so it’s probably a risk not worth taking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Leeds seem to be paying the big salaries from what I hear

They are gambling then. As ii if they get relegated and havent included rleegation reduction in their players wages they will be in massive trouble

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

They are gambling then. As ii if they get relegated and havent included rleegation reduction in their players wages they will be in massive trouble

please let this happen

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I remember at the turn of the century when the majority of Villa supporters were clamouring for a chairman like Peter Ridsdale at Leeds.   

I remember a radio interview with Ridsdale in which he was explaining how they were happy to spend big and it was all covered by various financial trickery plans. I thought at the time of it’s that simple why don’t we do it. Clearly he was dreaming and we all know the rest. 

37 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No.

The FFP podcast is from February this year.

The interview is 8 months old.

Ah OK, shame Wes Edens wasn't in on the news when he texted MCGinn and the others after we stayed up.

“And basically to tell us that the club wasn’t going to rest there.“He said they’d support us with new players and improve the depth of the squad to kick on. The owners made it clear that they want Villa back where we belong, challenging at the top end of English and European football."

He kinda got our hopes up a bit too much there if we in fact can't pay mid level PL wages even to the odd marqee signing. Fwiw I didn't expect us to be allowed to spend £145m last season as a newly promoted club but everyone was really lax about it. Guess it's come back to bite us this season.

16 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I remember at the turn of the century when the majority of Villa supporters were clamouring for a chairman like Peter Ridsdale at Leeds.   

I think there is a balance between asking for a player that can score 10 goals in the PL and comparing it to a man who had at one time a strikeforce of Viduka, Smith, Fowler, Robbie Keane and Kewell all on the books.

If Wes and Samatta and Davis are the extent of our capabilities within budget we might aswell pack up and go home now.

We seem incapable or unwilling to spend the money it will take to buy quality.

Samagoal and Wesley.

It is a million miles off the level. We should have got relegated and we will deserve to get relegated again at this rate.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Ah OK, shame Wes Edens wasn't in on the news when he texted MCGinn and the others after we stayed up.

“And basically to tell us that the club wasn’t going to rest there.“He said they’d support us with new players and improve the depth of the squad to kick on. The owners made it clear that they want Villa back where we belong, challenging at the top end of English and European football."

He kinda got our hopes up a bit too much there if we in fact can't pay mid level PL wages even to the odd marqee signing. Fwiw I didn't expect us to be allowed to spend £145m last season as a newly promoted club but everyone was really lax about it. Guess it's come back to bite us this season.

But we spent that money and only just managed to stay up. If we hadn't spent that money maybe we'd have been in the Championship.

And there's nothing in that quote from Edens that contradicts anything. It's only contradictory if you expected us to do an actual Man City, which nobody seems to have suggested. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I remember a radio interview with Ridsdale in which he was explaining how they were happy to spend big and it was all covered by various financial trickery plans. I thought at the time of it’s that simple why don’t we do it. Clearly he was dreaming and we all know the rest. 

The Seth Johnson story was prime Ridsdale: Johnson and his agent supposedly drove to Elland Road to meet Ridsdale with the strategy of opening salary negotiations at £15k/w and settling for £12k/w. Ridsdale opened with an offer of £40k/w....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think there is a balance between asking for a player that can score 10 goals in the PL and comparing it to a man who had at one time a strikeforce of Viduka, Smith, Fowler, Robbie Keane and Kewell all on the books.

If Wes and Samatta and Davis are the extent of our capabilities within budget we might aswell pack up and go home now.

Samagoal and Wesley.

It is a million miles off the level. We should have got relegated and we will deserve to get relegated again at this rate.

Oh man chill out. As has been pointed out there's over a month left of the transfer window. Your constant freakout is everywhere on villatalk now. 

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

But we spent that money and only just managed to stay up. If we hadn't spent that money maybe we'd have been in the Championship.

And there's nothing in that quote from Edens that contradicts anything. It's only contradictory if you expected us to do an actual Man City, which nobody seems to have suggested. 

Of course no one is expecting us to do a Man City

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Samagoal and Wesley.

Exactly...

Villa need two new strikers who are going to improve the first team, that is £40-£50 million.

Also two new wingers is the same again.

Then we are up to the £100 million figure again, i'd be amazed if we spend that.

The excuses are getting made earlier when we don't sign the players we really need.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

It seems to be designed to help the bigger clubs and screw the smallee ckubs who want to have a go at over throwing them.

The whole system is a mess

Same as VAR, same in business, everything is geared to support big business and destroy the competition, will be great fun in 50 years when there are only 20 teams left in Europe. 

Ps. What the absolute fvck am on I on about, jesus.

• Haha 1

Â