Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Purslows comments regarding not being able to compete with salaries is slightly misleading. There is no cap/ffp on salaries, it’s the entire income/expenditure of the club over any 3yr period. So if you set player budgets at a total (wages + transfer fee) of £30m per player, then you could sign a player for £25m and pay him £5m over 3yrs. Or you could pay £20m for a player pay him £10m over 3yrs. Or you could get a free transfer and pay him £30m over 3yrs. So we’re not being restricted in salaries, we’re restricted overall. 
As much as I’d love to say b0ll0x to FFP, I can’t rid myself of the nagging doubt that the Premier League would love any opportunity to come down on Villa like a tonne of bricks. So I don’t think we can give them the even the slightest opportunity to do so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Oh man chill out. As has been pointed out there's over a month left of the transfer window. Your constant freakout is everywhere on villatalk now. 

Again. At what point am I freaking out? I am perfectly calm. Perfectly rational. We either go down again or we don't. What will be will be.

At what point yet again is rightly questioning how transfer activity (lack of it) "freaking out" and "panicking"

I am fine mate. I can objectively look at something and say it it shit.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Ah OK, shame Wes Edens wasn't in on the news when he texted MCGinn and the others after we stayed up.

“And basically to tell us that the club wasn’t going to rest there.“He said they’d support us with new players and improve the depth of the squad to kick on. The owners made it clear that they want Villa back where we belong, challenging at the top end of English and European football."

He kinda got our hopes up a bit too much there if we in fact can't pay mid level PL wages even to the odd marqee signing. Fwiw I didn't expect us to be allowed to spend £145m last season as a newly promoted club but everyone was really lax about it. Guess it's come back to bite us this season.

I think what's happened SNE is CL did this interview in Feb.

Wes Txt the squad in July stating "we'll continue improving".

I may be wrong here, But the mix up comes due to some fud on Twatter, putting a post out yesterday with the podcast making it look like we're in shit street now..?

No wonder everyone is confused, I wouldn't even worry about it though. I'll stand by the quotes of our owner Wes, and not some roaster from Twitter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Exactly...

Villa need two new strikers who are going to improve the first team, that is £40-£50 million.

Also two new wingers is the same again.

Then we are up to the £100 million figure again, i'd be amazed if we spend that.

The excuses are getting made earlier when we don't sign the players we really need.

Because we can't? Will Purslow be made into some Bond villain because he's trying to avoid points deduction from breaching FFP?

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The excuses are getting made earlier when we don't sign the players we really need.

It's weird watching (apparent) adults apparently incapable of any patience and so willing to embrace conspiracy thinking. You can see how politicians can take advantage of people so easily. Did you know that Purslow has taken a pay rise this year? Double pay. 

He hasn't. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

agree that FFP is designed to help the big clubs, they can spend money that we simply cant

so what can we do to be competitive? we can upgrade our youth set up, scout and sign some of the country's best prospects and then most importantly (and dangerously...) have a path available for them to break through

its a long game that fans wont have the patience for but ignoring the lack of £30m key players for a minute the moves internally and at youth level that the club have made this summer have been very very promising

all the money we've spunked up the wall in the last 10 years and our best and most valuable player by a country mile is one that we paid £0 for, we need more of him

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Again. At what point am I freaking out? I am perfectly calm. Perfectly rational. We either go down again or we don't. What will be will be.

At what point yet again is rightly questioning how transfer activity (lack of it) "freaking out" and "panicking"

There was a guy on TV yesterday who was really angry when someone said he might have anger issues. He said he wasn't angry. He never gets angry. He was really angry about it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Because we can't? Will Purslow be made into some Bond villain because he's trying to avoid points deduction from breaching FFP?

That's what I'm saying, it looks like we can't.

But I guess being well-run and bang average is better for us at the present time; it's a shame though because comments have been made which seem empty now because many fans had their hopes up.

10 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

The Seth Johnson story was prime Ridsdale: Johnson and his agent supposedly drove to Elland Road to meet Ridsdale with the strategy of opening salary negotiations at £15k/w and settling for £12k/w. Ridsdale opened with an offer of £40k/w....

Wooow that’s almost unbelievable!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

There was a guy on TV yesterday who was really angry when someone said he might have anger issues. He said he wasn't angry. He never gets angry. He was really angry about it. 

Okay mate. You're right. I have anger issues. Off to beat the mrs now. Catch you later.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think what's happened SNE is CL did this interview in Feb.

Wes Txt the squad in July stating "we'll continue improving".

I may be wrong here, But the mix up comes due to some fud on Twatter, putting a post out yesterday with the podcast making it look like we're in shit street now..?

No wonder everyone is confused, I wouldn't even worry about it though. I'll stand by the quotes of our owner Wes, and not some roaster from Twitter.

I can't imagine we would have spent £15m or whatever on a RB this window if we were hamstrung that badly by FFP.

I thought this was a new interview hence my surprise. Sure we will keep spending if the right players are out there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It's weird watching (apparent) adults apparently incapable of any patience and so willing to embrace conspiracy thinking. You can see how politicians can take advantage of people so easily. Did you know that Purslow has taken a pay rise this year? Double pay. 

He hasn't. 

I was patient in January mate. I was hungry all January for a signing. I got server a Borja and Sama shit sandwich. We ended up with 35 points and celebrating it.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Trump Sad GIF - Trump Sad Disgust - Discover & Share GIFs

Do we have another famous villafan to add to the list? ;)

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Keep signing players from the Belgium league and Championship i assume... hope to find a gem

I don't think there's such a thing as a gem any more

there are several top quality prospects in the Belgian league, there is absolutely no chance that we know about them on a villa message board but the chief scout of the elite clubs dont

what there is instead is the acceptance that these elite clubs have so much money that they can let smaller clubs buy these prospects, take the risk in the new league and then if they come good they can still just go out and buy them for slightly more, see kulusevski signing for juve 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I was patient in January mate. I was hungry all January for a signing. I got server a Borja and Sama shit sandwich. We ended up with 35 points and celebrating it.

You don't know what happened nor what's going on now, nor what will happen and you have turned villatalk into Rodderspanictalk.

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

You don't know what happened nor what's going on now, nor what will happen and you have turned villatalk into Rodderspanictalk.

I do not what happened. We failed to sign the quality required at this level. I just looked on wikipedia to confirm. We signed Sama and Borja. I didnt dream it.

I love the way we all think we know better than a man who graduated from Cambridge and Harvard and has been the main man at Liverpool and Chelsea and is also in possession of all the facts required to make the decisions whilst we only know what fat Bob has posted on Twitter! You gotta love VT

• Like 2

Â