Christian Purslow

villan-scott

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

I do not what happened. We failed to sign the quality required at this level. I just looked on wikipedia to confirm. We signed Sama and Borja. I didnt dream it.

You did this the other day too. You might know the result, but you don't know anything about what happened behind the scenes, and you don't know anything about what's happening behind the scenes now either. You have no idea about any of this, nor do you seem to appreciate that there might be subtleties and not-so-subtleties to transfers that can make them difficult, but despite not knowing anything, you appear to be losing your head. Do you think this is a sensible way of starting your Monday?

Do you remember we were the second highest spenders in the world last summer? Yet for the last 2/3 days almost every other post on here (yes your frequency of posting the same thing makes you seem to be panicking) has been you talking about how we never pay transfer fees and can't get players over the line. Your brain seems to be ignoring a lot of contrary evidence and embracing only the few things that fit your panic.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Same as VAR, same in business, everything is geared to support big business and destroy the competition, will be great fun in 50 years when there are only 20 teams left in Europe. 

Ps. What the absolute fvck am on I on about, jesus.

Sounds like one of my rants!!

• Haha 2

I'm.glad we've got a responsible person in charge like Purslow. He can easily go all Wyness and Dr (we need to check this too) and put us up shit creek. It's a balancing act in regards to the transfers in. Hopefully one or two will make us a profit in the next season or two so we can start  going for the top half of the table. 

Unless they get rid of FFP.

• Like 2

Just now, KentVillan said:

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that Purslow has kept Grealish at the club for another season. That’s our biggest signing.

If he manages to add any first team quality at all, we’re looking very healthy. Virtually every current player is still improving, so as the squad gels you’d expect to see consistent improvement.

Cash definitely looks like an upgrade on what we had. Watkins would also be an upgrade. It’s only really a winger now that looks essential. Be nice to have a new keeper, new CM, new LB, but none of this is essential.

Cracking post. The keeper situation is a bit disappointing though. Had Heaton not got injured we could have bought in someone young like Gollini to develop under Heaton and then take over when Heaton is 35/36. 

On 19/02/2020 at 10:27, pas5898 said:

Villa Trust AGM, held last night. Purslow did a quick Q&A.

There's a podcast with most of the conversation here:

Those tweets are not a new revelation - 22mins in, listen, take note. We were aware of what we would be dealing with back in Feb. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2

if we knew the wage issues back in Feb, then surely we'd be targeting players that we can afford. Which doesn't explain why its so difficult for us at the moment 

If we have been going after players with wage demands we can't meet, then that's terrible scouting and planning from us. 

Does FFP being changed for the season not mean we can push the boat out a bit more?

Yes we shouldn't be wasting money, but we're currently one of the favourites to go down. We likely will be going down without a new striker and new right winger.

If it's £8m of extra spends to get three different deals done, would it be better to have the players now?

Bearing in mind we have Sheff U and Fulham in the first few games I'd say yes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

if we knew the wage issues back in Feb, then surely we'd be targeting players that we can afford. Which doesn't explain why its so difficult for us at the moment 

If we have been going after players with wage demands we can't meet, then that's terrible scouting and planning from us. 

Have we though? Apart from some reports about Wilson, where else has it been proven that we’re going after players we can’t afford to pay? It’s one thing choosing not to compete with a Newcastle that are offering a 4 -5 year deal, it’s another to say that we couldn’t afford to. 

I read the full McGinn interview last Saturday. He expressed his frustration that we weren't the top Midlands team anymore. When you look at the league table we are a long way behind Wolves and Leicester currently although I'd like to think this season both will dip a little and we can get up to around 45 points so might only be 10 points or less off one of them (then finishing above one of then becames a realistic target for 21-22 season).

My worry is likes of him and Grealish will be expecting us to sign players of calibre those two are bringing in and so if we don't this summer and in January it's more easier to leave.

When you look at Wolves signing a champions league regular player from Lyon for hardly anything sure we can do that sort of deal even with FFP constraints? And Leicester getting in Castagne from Atalanta. Much harder deal for us to pull off but let's remember he's left a champions league club for a europa league one so clearly Leicester have the pull now to get good players in from top 6 clubs in other major leagues.

It's a long road back to being number one club again in the Midlands area on the pitch but I think we'd all just like one proven player in this summer to state we're slowly on the right path. If you think back to the early days of MON-Lerner then I'd say getting in Carew early on was a statement that we were going in the right direction so we badly need that type of signing in next 6 months (given we got Carew in the January window).

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Cracking post. The keeper situation is a bit disappointing though. Had Heaton not got injured we could have bought in someone young like Gollini to develop under Heaton and then take over when Heaton is 35/36. 

Agreed. Signing a young high potential keeper like Gollini would have been great, shame Villa never do anything like this. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Agreed. Signing a young high potential keeper like Gollini would have been great, shame Villa never do anything like this. 

I derar we actually have a highly rated keeper in our youth team. I think he is from Finland?

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I love the way we all think we know better than a man who graduated from Cambridge and Harvard and has been the main man at Liverpool and Chelsea and is also in possession of all the facts required to make the decisions whilst we only know what fat Bob has posted on Twitter! You gotta love VT

It’s why these threads are so entertaining.

Fact is none of us no anything other than our own opinions.

You cannot trust a newspaper report because the journalists have proven time and again that their news is......not actually news,it just their opinion about what they think is happening.

All we can do is sit tight enjoy the speculation and wait for the Villa app on your phone to announce Tammy 👍

• Like 1

Â