Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

11 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Yeah true, it would need 10-15 cup and European appearances a season to get there on top of the league apps. 

Barry played for us for over 10 years and hardly ever got injured. No one will get close to his appearance numbers for years, let alone the greats like Cowans or Aitken.

Anyone know if there is a purchase clause? Good the wages are gone but seems we often keep loaning people out till the contract is done.

end of season he will have one year left right? Hopefully gets some game time, ups the price and we can sell.

thanks AEG! Some great memories.

Up there with Mings and Grealish as the most important players in the 10 game winning streak and the late entry to the play offs. Scored at Wembley and on our first home win back in the Prem. Its probably time to move on but I'm definitely sad to see him go, he has been at the heart of some great moments during his time here. Hope he can go and get regular game time, he was around the Holland team end of last season

• Like 3

5 hours ago, a-k said:

Haha. People moan about our player interviews but you could literally copy and paste. 

OTHER than no question about the manager? No mention at all🤔

On his day, he has his moments of brilliance. I mean anyone who can even loosely be said to resemble Cristiano in their play style has to have something going for them.

I'm glad he's got a move to another team playing top tier football. Didn't do enough to play ahead of Grealish, or Traore as a certified starting wide forward for us, and certainly not suited for a deeper role. As things are if he wants to play regularly it won't be with us.

Like others have said, has got a decent record with scoring goals, and has also risen to the occasion at times too.

Definitely glad to see him offered a platform to see if he can command a greater role with another club. Potential there, but at his age he's going to want to show that he's more than that and can offer a team the kind of attacking prowess needed at this level. 

I didn't see him at junior level obviously or his days in France or Holland, he had good records there though too. I hope for his sake he rekindles the desire to play among the best and he can realise the promise he so clearly had playing in his earlier years.

All the best AEG.

• Like 1

Probably my favorite player in the NSWE era -- had to get a kit with his name on it last minute... Always put in a shift, even if he was marked out of the game. Never had anything bad spoken about him, top professional, and made double digit goals when most of us thought he wouldn't have a role.

Showed up in the biggest game the Club has had in years and absolutely bossed it, and I will always be thankful for that -- especially that he broke his fast so he could be in the best condition for the Playoff final. 

Really hope he gets to have a proper send off at VP sometime 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villaslash said:

Anyone know if there is a purchase clause? Good the wages are gone but seems we often keep loaning people out till the contract is done.

end of season he will have one year left right? Hopefully gets some game time, ups the price and we can sell.

thanks AEG! Some great memories.

Saw an article that said they had an option to buy at £8.6m.

Hopefully we got a decent loan fee in?

Just got to get rid of Trez and Bertie now for me!

• Like 1

I'm really surprised that people saw El Ghazi as a "favourite". For me he is a bit of a one trick pony - comes inside and shoots - but he does have a good shot on him and takes an ice cool penalty. Good, well coached PL defenders will deal with this predictability comfortably.  He was our wide version of Hourihane in my mind and, whilst he has played his part over the last few years, like Conor, I am glad he has now moved on and hope he doesn't return.

I struggle to see him getting much game time for the toffees as Gray looks very decent on their left hand side and seems robust. I do feel he has done the wrong thing by staying in the PL - imho he lacks the intensity for our league and would have been much better suited to a more technical league like Serie A. I thought he could have done well at Roma when linked. I wish him well though - just not so well that he helps Everton get above us!

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Haha. People moan about our player interviews but you could literally copy and paste. 

OTHER than no question about the manager? No mention at all🤔

Saw on Reddit that an Everton fan has said their club's Tier 1 Source (equivalent to Percy for us) said El Ghazi's loan was not wanted by Rafa and that this was 100% Moshiri behind this because he's chummy with El Ghazi's agent.  They're proper pissed off right now.

If I’m honest I’m surprised he has moved to a club like Everton, I thought his next stop would be further down the pyramid. Saying that though I wish him all the best in this next phase of his career. Thanks for the memories :thumb: 

3 minutes ago, MCU said:

All the best to him! When he plays with a bit of confidence he is a great player.

The key to AEG and always a puzzle to me as he sounds a very level confident person in his interviews. He lacks confidence on the grass though for some reason, at his best he's a mid table prem player, overall he's a Norwich level, up and down the league's. I really like him and will miss his penalty taking and those deadly 15/18 yard rockets. My favourite is the one v Everton I think, when Jack broke forward and hit a great ball into Ollie who'd mistimed his run and Jack whinged a bit, it fell to AEG who smashed it, he could have told the keeper what he was going to do in advance and he still wouldn't have saved it.

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

The key to AEG and always a puzzle to me as he sounds a very level confident person in his interviews. He lacks confidence on the grass though for some reason, at his best he's a mid table prem player, overall he's a Norwich level, up and down the league's. I really like him and will miss his penalty taking and those deadly 15/18 yard rockets. My favourite is the one v Everton I think, when Jack broke forward and hit a great ball into Ollie who'd mistimed his run and Jack whinged a bit, it fell to AEG who smashed it, he could have told the keeper what he was going to do in advance and he still wouldn't have saved it.

Yeah, that goal was a peach. Not many players could've hit it that sweet tbf.

And it was against Crystal Palace, I think.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KMitch said:

El Ghazi's loan was not wanted by Rafa and that this was 100% Moshiri behind this because he's chummy with El Ghazi's agent.

You know I'm growing to like Talksport more and more.... think this is right, as Darren Bent is pointing out. "This is not what Everton need right now." In fact isn't it the only area they are relatively strong on with Gray and Townsend? Very odd signing for them and I feel sorry for Anwar if Benitez uses him sparingly or not at all to get back at the owner.... Strange singing for them.

19 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm really surprised that people saw El Ghazi as a "favourite". For me he is a bit of a one trick pony - comes inside and shoots - but he does have a good shot on him and takes an ice cool penalty. Good, well coached PL defenders will deal with this predictability comfortably.  He was our wide version of Hourihane in my mind and, whilst he has played his part over the last few years, like Conor, I am glad he has now moved on and hope he doesn't return

The way I see it is that he has played a huge part in helping us back to where we are, has more than repaid his transfer fee, has had long periods out of the team but never kicked up a fuss and has generally done his job whenever called upon. 10 goals last season was a very decent return for someone who wasn't even a first team regular.

Hes basically the complete opposite of the type of footballer that this club made a habit of signing in the years before relegation. So despite his limitations there's lots of reasons to be fond of him and to feel a bit sentimental about him leaving.

• Like 1

Â