Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

45 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

That doesn't mean all the criticism he gets is unfair.

I don't think it's the unfairness people are complaining about. It's calling El Ghazi sh!te that I think is over the top and really makes that poster look a womble.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yes, because keeping keepers guessing is how you score pens. Fernandes and Lewandowski do it in their run ups, el ghazi doesn't so he has to try more audacious ones occasionally to reduce the chance of them moving early and getting a save. 

Or, he thought 'f*** it, its barrow, i'll do a panenka'.

He'd have the foresight of confucious to be analysing future penalty placements in that 6 second run up

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fans can’t handle inconsistency. You could score a hatrick one game but if you are completely anonymous for the next 2-3 and we are lose those game they will remember this.  I’m not saying it’s right but it’s how it. It doesn’t matter if the players name is Mohammed Ali or John Smith.

Fans are fickle and a lot of the time stupid. It’s not because they are racist.

So let’s stop this nonsense.

Just because not everyone who criticises those players is racist, doesn't mean that there are no racist undertones, even sub-conscious ones, that are part of the criticism they do get from some sections of supporters. 

It's naive to suggest that a Muslim player at the club is liked and criticised in equal measure, purely on his merits as a footballer. 

• Like 1

I don't think he should be starting for us if our XI best players are fit but I equally would not move him on. We need experience and depth in our squad if we're going to go anywhere as a club and someone like El Ghazi is really important in that. We're going to be in a situation later in the season where Traore, Buendia and Bailey may all be on international duty during premier league games and if we flogged El Ghazi too we're looking at throwing JPB and I'm not sure who else on the wings

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jim said:

This.

He’s been a model pro, doesn’t complain, gets his head down and gets on with it. Yet he gets constant abuse and has to take down his social media. 

I wonder, if his name was Andrew Garvey from Solihull. Would he get the same amount of vitriol we have seen towards him? Would he ****! 

Or Jonathan McGinn from Glasgow. This got me thinking, their Villa careers have been kind of similar. Crucial debut season helping us get promoted, fittingly each scoring a goal in the playoff final. Inconsistent performances since we've come up. The difference is we've continuously upgraded in Anwar's position, and haven't really for McGinn's so he's always been a starter.

I don't think it's really about him being foreign (that might be it for some people), but I think it's their styles of play. For one, Anwar doesn't play like typical British wingers. He's not a beat your man get a cross in type winger. Conversely, McGinn's hustle and bustle style lends itself well to British fans and he'll always get more time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He'd have the foresight of confucious to be analysing future penalty placements in that 6 second run up

Or he decided what penalty he'd do before the game. Or in the time he had whilst they were organising everything for the pen. 

4 hours ago, skarroki said:

Just because not everyone who criticises those players is racist, doesn't mean that there are no racist undertones, even sub-conscious ones, that are part of the criticism they do get from some sections of supporters. 

It's naive to suggest that a Muslim player at the club is liked and criticised in equal measure, purely on his merits as a footballer. 

Fair enough but I’ve been posting here for a long time now and I’d like to believe that is not the case on VT.  The same fans that criticise him tend to unfairly criticise a lot of players. 

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

6 seconds? Where was he running from? The centre spot?

With regards to the penalty it’s quite clever he did that and also in a game where it wouldn’t have really mattered if he missed. 

Goalkeepers analysis penalty takes before games. When analyse AEG’s penalties for us they won’t have a clue what he will do as he varies every one quite a lot. The last one will have thrown them even more. 

• Like 1

I love El Ghazi, but he is frustrating.

When he is on, he is so good. Then he just randomly fumbles the ball with bad touches. Yet he shows up and scores important goals for us.

Its just so inconsistant.

No matter what happens, he is a great player who i respect for his professionality. I want him to stay, but I can also understand if he does since it seems like game time might be limited in the future if all our new signings hit it off.

26 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

just feel like reposting this (from last year) after seeing some of the comments here

There’s a difference between hounding the bloke and saying you don’t think he’s good enough on an Internet forum and 15m represents good value for us if someone were to offer it. 

Anyone that sent him personal abuse is a word removed.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Love him or hate him, with Bailey still injured be prepared for another Elghazi showing tomorrow.

He will definitely start, I can't see Smith being brave enough to start JPB.

he could score a winning goal or hat trick and the same posters will drone on about how crap he is

30 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Love him or hate him, with Bailey still injured be prepared for another Elghazi showing tomorrow.

He will definitely start, I can't see Smith being brave enough to start JPB.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with being brave enough to start JPB it’s more about gradually build with youngsters ,have you not seen the 19 year old academy player starting in midfield?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, skarroki said:

I don't think he should be starting for us if our XI best players are fit but I equally would not move him on. We need experience and depth in our squad if we're going to go anywhere as a club and someone like El Ghazi is really important in that. We're going to be in a situation later in the season where Traore, Buendia and Bailey may all be on international duty during premier league games and if we flogged El Ghazi too we're looking at throwing JPB and I'm not sure who else on the wings

/thread

18 hours ago, skarroki said:

Most football fans don't even know or care about a footballers religion, sexuality etc until it's brought up/highlighted IMO.

Are we trying to suggest that people dislike Anwar because he's Muslim?

Elmo is/was loved and he is Muslim, Trez is one of the best/worst players we have and he is loved and he is Muslim, plus countless other Muslim players.

I always accept that racism and prejudice exists, but can't help but feel that sometimes people pull from as a "Card " to Trump any critique.

Similarly to how people attempt to reach for race when someone is bigging up a player by calling them a "beast " or " monster ".

Is there a loud, disgusting minority? Absolutely, but to suggest the vast majority of fans fall into these categories are grossly inaccurate imo.

Sometimes, it's just what it says on the tin, Football fans with different personalities and opinions, having different takes on players and football matches.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Â