Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

It’s an awful miss but I much prefer to watch us with El Ghazi in the side than without.

He’s one of the few players in our squad who actually looks like he might make something happen and takes up good positions.

He’s missed a lot of chances but if he was the sort of player who tucked them away he’d be in double figures for goals this season and on his way to a top half team in the summer.

Hes got potential and he’s one I’d rather we stick with than play Trezeguet who genuinely looks like he’s not sure what he’s trying to do most of the time. 

55 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Pretty sure he has a long highlight(or not) reel of misses.

The number of times it's came to him from a cross and he's either missed it or made a poor contact is very high.

Strange as I always thought he would bury them in the championship.

Even if he misses them he is the I ly ayer on our team who will get on the end of them so he has to play. Trez, Samatta and Davis would never have gotten near that is the issue. 

• Like 1

Despite being 6’2”, he never jumps to win a header, just to do a (bad) impression of someone trying to win a header. I agree with Tim Cahill and many of the comments here – that streak of physical trepidation seemed to really mess him up with that simple chance. Needed to say to himself: “This ball is going in the net and, if need be, I am going in the net and Jordan Pickford is going in the net.” Didn’t quite have it in him.

• Like 2

he's a bang average championship level player Imo, I'm not trying to be nasty, I just honestly think that's his level. (Top 10 championship level I reckon)

Would be OK with him remaining next season, but he needs to be a squad player, we need two new and GOOD wingers critically.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he's a bang average championship level player Imo, I'm not trying to be nasty, I just honestly think that's his level. (Top 10 championship level I reckon)

Would be OK with him remaining next season, but he needs to be a squad player, we need two new and GOOD wingers critically.

He is not good enough in my view. He has the attributes but just does not pull it all together. To play his position you either have to be unbelievable in attack or fairly strong in attack and defence and work hard. He is neither of these things. I would always pick Trez ahead of him for attitude and bravery alone.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Just watched the miss, oh my lordy lord.

On part with that side foot miss earlier in the season, terrible.

Seemed harder to miss it than score it, which is what he should have done. Shocking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

He is not good enough in my view. He has the attributes but just does not pull it all together. To play his position you either have to be unbelievable in attack or fairly strong in attack and defence and work hard. He is neither of these things. I would always pick Trez ahead of him for attitude and bravery alone.

Trez is not brave

Lets face it all of our forward players are not Premier League quality. It must be so demoralizing for the rest of the team seeing so little awareness up front along with dire finishing, positional sense, run making, pace or heading ability. I mean what do you do exactly when that's the case? .............. Lose a lot i guess as we've seen!

In the Premier League games our forwards have scored as follows:

Trezeguet - 5

Wesley - 5

El-Ghazi -4

Samatta - 1

Davies - 0

Defenders have scored 6 between them & Midfielders have scored 16

So our midfielders have scored more goals than our entire forwards / wingers combined. That should not be the case and highlights the problems we have. Of course part of it is the way we play but that is a shocking number of goals from 5 forwards combined (15) An average of 3 each in a whole season.

Lets face it all of our forward players are not Premier League quality. It must be so demoralizing for the rest of the team seeing so little awareness up front along with dire finishing, positional sense, run making, pace or heading ability. I mean what do you do exactly when that's the case? .............. Lose a lot i guess as we've seen!

Trezeguet - 5

Wesley - 5

El-Ghazi -4

Samatta - 1

Davies - 0

So our midfielders have scored more goals than our entire forwards / wingers combined. That should not be the case and highlights the problems we have. Of course part of it is the way we play but that is a shocking number of goals from 5 forwards combined (15) An average of 3 each in a whole season.

Wow reading some of the comments from last night, some people need to be banned from commenting so soon after games.

How people can let their emotions take over that much is unbelievable, it’s a game of football...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

Wow reading some of the comments from last night, some people need to be banned from commenting so soon after games.

How people can let their emotions take over that much is unbelievable, it’s a game of football...

El Ghazi has been a hate figure for some on here for a while

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Should he be condemned for missing so many big chances or praised for being the only player who gets on them 🤔

No point getting on the end of them of you miss them though... 

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Trezeguet - 5

Wesley - 5

El-Ghazi -4

Samatta - 1

Davies - 0

DS did a number of interviews after the closing of the transfer window saying that we played a system where the goals wouldn’t just come from the forwards. Problem is, I think that was on the assumption that a) there would be more goals all round and b) the forwards would score far more than they have.

Both assumptions were naive.

Wes, Trez and AEG (with Davies as backup when the season started) does not look PL standard. It was a massive and rather stupid punt to expect these three to share twenty goals between them. 

Â