Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

I think he's an ok squad player to have. I'll always remember his goal at Wembley.

I don't think we'll be planning in starting him, and I don't think there are any takers for him. So I think keeping him for squad and competition would be a good choice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

4 goals and 4 assists in a struggling team for 7 million. People saying Zaha is a bargain at 30 million yet he got 4 goals and 3 assists and started 11 more games

Ismaila Sarr another 30 million bargain 5 goals 4 assists

El ghazi created more chances than them this season as well (missed more chances as well) 

• Like 1

Think for the level we're at he's a fantastic option to have in the squad, to come off the bench. If we're after more direct, pacey wingers / inside forwards, having a tall, tricky player like El Ghazi as an option is great for squad depth. If we can bring in better players it's then up to him to prove he's good enough to start and if he's not performing we will have options that mean we can drop him. 

• Like 3

On 13/08/2020 at 03:01, Dave-R said:

But that doesnt make him exempt from this season and being torn apart for how he was and how he performed so badly.

He's not hated, hes just played awful all season and doesnt look the player he did in the championship, maybe that's just Ghazi's level.

Head. Nail. 

He's decent at striking the ball and getting into positions. Not a bad finisher really, despite what we saw this season.

But the overall quality of his play isn't PL standard unfortunately. And his attitude has never been for me. Defensive work rate is shocking at times. There's just something about him, excluding his RBF, that screams get rid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Head. Nail. 

He's decent at striking the ball and getting into positions. Not a bad finisher really, despite what we saw this season.

But the overall quality of his play isn't PL standard unfortunately. And his attitude has never been for me. Defensive work rate is shocking at times. There's just something about him, excluding his RBF, that screams get rid. 

When we had injury problems we should have used him as a striker, good finisher like you said

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He looks trim in today's pre-season training pictures - looks lean and in shape - hope that's a sign of a determination to push on.

I also think he is better as a left winger where he is more of a threat to cut in and score (his crossing is still good with both feet). Hopefully his new shape will help him get an extra yard of pace and he could be a real player with some confidence. I would be surprised if he exceeded the 4 goals and assists he got this season coming off the bench in 20 games next season. 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He looks trim in today's pre-season training pictures - looks lean and in shape - hope that's a sign of a determination to push on.

Personally I think it’s mental for El Ghazi. He’s got everything about him to be a top player. He pretty tall, he has a good physique (very similar in stature to Ronaldo). Is no slouch, is good on the ball and fairly skilful. He has a good shot on him as well. Unfortunately, his confidence drops very easily, and he also seems unwilling to push himself to his limits. 

• Like 3

When we signed him permanently, I was quite happy about it. He had a great first season with us, and there were signs that he could potentially get better.

Here is hoping that 2019/20 was just a blip on a very prosperous career at Villa.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s a very good squad player and a bargain at 7 million really. 

He basically had the same statistics as players people want us to buy for 30-40 million and really if our strikers were half decent he would have had another 4 assists since restart.

Yes you can say about his misses but the fact is that all comes down to confidence and being in a struggling team isn't going to be great for your confidence. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He basically had the same statistics as players people want us to buy for 30-40 million and really if our strikers were half decent he would have had another 4 assists since restart.

Yes you can say about his misses but the fact is that all comes down to confidence and being in a struggling team isn't going to be great for your confidence. 

Top 10 in chances created for wingers suggests you're probably right about our strikers.

47 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I really don't see it and I hate his attitude

Ye same here. I could see him being important if we were relegated, but he hasn't shown he's PL quality to me. Almost always one of our weaker performers and a liability defensively. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ye same here. I could see him being important if we were relegated, but he hasn't shown he's PL quality to me. Almost always one of our weaker performers and a liability defensively. 

His stats seem to suggest that he is PL quality. This highlights why we now have an army of data analytics guys. Some players appear to come across as weak or poor just by their general demeanour and as we know, once fans get down on a player he can do no good. A popular player misses a chance and it’s, “Good try, unlucky”, if it’s an unpopular player it’s, “Rubbish, get him off”. 

I’m not having a dig at you because it’s human nature and I’m as guilty of it as anyone else but the decision making process has to be more clinical these days than just a feeling or a hunch. It could be the difference between blowing £30m on a player who 6 months down the line is worth nothing, (we have plenty of recent examples to recall) or finding a gem from under the radar for a few quid. It’s no good continuing to look on enviously at the recruitment at clubs like Brentford and Leicester and not doing anything about it. Recent backroom appointments suggest that the penny has finally dropped. 

• Like 3

Â