Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I get the feeling that the fact he puts in a half hearted attempt to defend is what makes him blow up like he did against Mings. In his mind he's doing his best and trying to defend, but not being a natural defender and (as you pointed out) probably having never had to do it consistently before in his career, means he's not very good at it.

Being not very good at it,  he will subconsciously be putting in less effort than when he goes forward.

With decent actual coaching and a bit of time, he could be exceptional in my opinion.  He does need to work on his mentality for when things aren't going his way and the club should recognise this

I think part of it as well is he wants to be ready to break when we win the ball so he stays 1 or 2 yards ahead of the full back but because even when we win it we lose it so quickly it isn't really helping him. Even though him and Jack on the counter are probably our most dangerous attacks if jack played the ball a little earlier. 

The guy has one good touch in him during any one move, but rarely anything more. All too often he briefly flatters to deceive. The number of times the ball bounces off him, he runs into trouble, or his pass is misplaced, tell a damning story of predictable poor end product. I'm afraid Anwar just isn't going to make it.

• Like 2

Should've got a penalty but thought he was rubbish aside from that. Simply isn't a week in week out starter at this level.

If he wants to leave then there's no chance of a major team from top level league signing him, would be against bottom half side.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Apart from his great cross into the box which we nearly scored from...

Thought he was OK personally, a little rusty but lively enough.

Yeah he wasn't great to be fair but Sheffield United are so well organised it makes it hard for wingers to get any space on the ball. Grealish struggled too and ended up dropping very deep to get on the ball.

Hopefully against Chelsea he might get more space to do harm.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Apart from his great cross into the box which we nearly scored from...

Thought he was OK personally, a little rusty but lively enough.

I thought it was a poor cross.  Would have been a simple matter to give Davis a tap in. 

A good ball would have put it on the plate for Davis to tap in. 

An acceptable ball would have left Davis stretching to put it in. 

A ball from that position where Davies stretches and still can't get a foot to it is a poor overplayed ball. Should have been a goal all day long from that position.  Fizzed in too hard too far ahead of the striker. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I thought it was a poor cross.  Would have been a simple matter to give Davis a tap in. 

A ball from that position where Davies stretches and still can't get a foot to it is a poor overplayed ball. Should have been a goal all day long from that position.  Fizzed in too hard too far ahead of the striker. 

Agreed. Was a very poor cross.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

The guy has one good touch in him during any one move, but rarely anything more. All too often he briefly flatters to deceive. The number of times the ball bounces off him, he runs into trouble, or his pass is misplaced, tell a damning story of predictable poor end product. I'm afraid Anwar just isn't going to make it.

Total waste of a shirt today.  May as well have not been on the pitch at all for most of the game.  Put into a great position with an exquisite ball from Grealish then overplayed a simple ball. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Nah he had to get some power on it as the defenders would have intercepted it easily....then it would have been a poor ball.

Hmmmm...I disagree, he put way too much on it. Maybe I need to watch it back. Davis could have reacted quicker to be further up the pitch, but el-ghazi's ball was poor iirc. Didn't even hit it cleanly if I remember right. 

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Nah he had to get some power on it as the defenders would have intercepted it easily....then it would have been a poor ball.

There is an argument that hitting it any softer would have meant it got intercepted...or it could have resulted in us winning a corner, or the defender scoring an own goal. Definitely hitting it too hard in front of everyone does no favours to anyone. It had the feeling of a goal about it, looking like hundreds of similar goals that are scored every season,  but it wasn't to be.

Davis maybe could have been sprinting harder,  suspect his lack of poachers instinct didn't help him either. 

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wasn't a poor cross, cleared both defenders and the keeper with pace. It was Keinan who was on his heels and couldn't finish it off.

• Like 4

I do think he has that quality, that lil something extra to be an important player for us on his day  .... He is consistent,  just the wrong type of consistency though sadly and 🤞🏻 & I still have faith he can/will turn it around and come good in these (poss) career defining next 9 games. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Davis hesitated his run, it was a cracking cross took out goalkeeper and defends and a strikers dream. If was Billy Sharp in our team its 1-0

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

Defenders had no chance to intercept because he put far too much pace on what looked like a relatively simple ball. 

I only saw it in the game, been unable to find a clip so if anyone can please assist, but from my memory it wasn't on Davis at all.

EDIT:

https://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-sheff-utd/report/408251

Clip is at 1:30.

Edited by penguin

Â