Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

On 03/03/2020 at 09:55, lapal_fan said:

I think if we had a more stable midfield and could dominate a game, he'd be much more effective.  As it is, we don't dominate the ball, so he finds it hard to grab a game by the scruff. 

He's the kind of player you want when you're on the front foot, he's a bit "meek" when it's backs to the wall, but then again, he's more likely than most in our squad to produce a good cross or a goal. 

Now, i think that is a fair comment.

If we made a better fist of winning the ball, he would in theory be more involved and consistency more achievable.

"meek"he is and at 6'2 he should be knocking them over with his momentum....powering his way through.

Personally I think we have too many " meek" players and i think it is a feature of our problems.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 29/03/2020 at 11:38, TRO said:

Now, i think that is a fair comment.

If we made a better fist of winning the ball, he would in theory be more involved and consistency more achievable.

"meek"he is and at 6'2 he should be knocking them over with his momentum....powering his way through.

Personally I think we have too many " meek" players and i think it is a feature of our problems.

‘’Knocking them over’’ isn’t his game I don’t think, he’s not a brute but he’s no wimp either, as you say he is 6’2, I think he can look after himself. A lot of fans where I sit get on his back, is it because he is foreign I wonder? I think it could be. He is much better going forward than he is defensively but that is a trait of a typical foreign winger. I think we can rely on him. You can see El Ghazi getting frustrated when all of our attacks go through Grealish, ‘’I shout switch it’’ to Grealish when El Ghazi has space and time but there is still a reluctance to use him, I wonder why, the players should be able to trust each other 

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

‘’Knocking them over’’ isn’t his game I don’t think, he’s not a brute but he’s no wimp either, as you say he is 6’2, I think he can look after himself. A lot of fans where I sit get on his back, is it because he is foreign I wonder? I think it could be. He is much better going forward than he is defensively but that is a trait of a typical foreign winger. I think we can rely on him. You can see El Ghazi getting frustrated when all of our attacks go through Grealish, ‘’I shout switch it’’ to Grealish when El Ghazi has space and time but there is still a reluctance to use him, I wonder why, the players should be able to trust each other 

That is not the context I meant " Knocking them over".......I meant powering runs and resisting challenges better.

He loses the ball far too easy and too often,for a big man.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Full90Friday that Villa done today reminded me just how good he was in that playoff final (he stepped up for that entire 10 game winning run). He has all the ability in the world and a really fantastic player when he's on it as shown a few times, a real shame he just can't deliver it consistently but that's why he's at Villa and not somewhere else. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

The Full90Friday that Villa done today reminded me just how good he was in that playoff final (he stepped up for that entire 10 game winning run). He has all the ability in the world and a really fantastic player when he's on it as shown a few times, a real shame he just can't deliver it consistently but that's why he's at Villa and not somewhere else. 

I think you are right, there is a reason that he’s played for Ajax and Holland, in that play off final he played left wing, maybe that’s his best position 

9 hours ago, Farlz said:

He's not the only one. I cant think of another team where most of the players are so inconsistent.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

He's not the only one. I cant think of another team where most of the players are so inconsistent.  

untrue, its only because we watch Villa every week. Any team that isnt Liverpool or City falls into this category in the Premier League 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Farlz said:

Is that why Jack should be somewhere else?....too consistent for us?

If we keep thinking like that, we will never improve.

We have to refuse to accept inconsistency, until we drive it out of the club.

but before we dump players, we have to be sure the balance of the team is right and they have been given all the support they needed on and off the pitch.

If you have an unbalanced team, decent players can look bad.

12 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are right, there is a reason that he’s played for Ajax and Holland, in that play off final he played left wing, maybe that’s his best position 

On the left is, for me, undoubtedly his most effective position. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

On the left is, for me, undoubtedly his most effective position. 

Unfortunately Jack has been coming in from left which is more effective.  Only Jack has contributed more attacking wise more than El Ghazi so far this season

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Unfortunately Jack has been coming in from left which is more effective.  Only Jack has contributed more attacking wise more than El Ghazi so far this season

Maybe we could play El Ghazi as an out and out left winger and move Grealish inside a bit, so he could link up with McGinn more and Trezeguet could play at right wing 

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Maybe we could play El Ghazi as an out and out left winger and move Grealish inside a bit, so he could link up with McGinn more and Trezeguet could play at right wing 

We tried that at the start of the season but were way too open on the break (although that isn't really reflected in the goals against column right at the start).

I think what we're doing with Grealish in front 3 is and 3 central midfields is along the right lines but for most of the season we've been handicapped by Wesley's rawness upfront which meant so many attacks broke down with his lack of control/movement and also a really good DM who can break up play and and keep us in shape.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 15:32, sne said:

Rather go for a no winger formation that play with both Trez and El Ghazi at the same time. 

Agreed, I think I would like to see the combination of Samatta, Davis and Grealish as our attacking three for the rest of the season....still unsure how you'd play that whether Samatta central and Grealish and Davis off him or play two up top and Grealish floating around them or Davis central and Samatta and Grealish around him.  I do like the idea of Jack having a more floating role though to find gaps.

• Thanks 1

Rewatching playoff final. El Ghazi is incredible. He has it in his locker, some decent output so far this season, whilst he's 24, he's still time to develop, and I believe he will improve further. A very very useful player, at £5-6M possibly our best value of summer. 

16 minutes ago, Dale said:

Rewatching playoff final. El Ghazi is incredible. He has it in his locker, some decent output so far this season, whilst he's 24, he's still time to develop, and I believe he will improve further. A very very useful player, at £5-6M possibly our best value of summer. 

He's 25 and the fee ended up closer to £9m if you include the loan fee but I think he's a solid rotation option and someone who might take another step and become better than he currently is.

On 23/05/2020 at 13:47, VillaChris said:

We tried that at the start of the season but were way too open on the break (although that isn't really reflected in the goals against column right at the start).

I think what we're doing with Grealish in front 3 is and 3 central midfields is along the right lines but for most of the season we've been handicapped by Wesley's rawness upfront which meant so many attacks broke down with his lack of control/movement and also a really good DM who can break up play and and keep us in shape.

In my opinion, the beginning of the season was when we looked most dangerous going forward and most resolute at the back. I think that Nakamba can be that really good DM of which you speak

1 hour ago, Dale said:

He was very good in the run in last season, excellent outlet which also gave Grealish more space.

Little surprised people thinking he'd be no good if we went back down although perhaps he'd want to move on.

Â