Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

It's his lack of defensive work that has bugged me with him.

He should look to Trezeguet in inspiration in how to be a good teamplayer.

Even when Trez isn't delivering in the final third he is still offering us something important. When El Ghazi doesn't deliver in the final third he offers nothing.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As you recognise this, why are you trying to discredit a point nobody is making?

That said I actually think it's unacceptable for some idiot on social media to directly criticise a player. If said player were to search their name or look at a place like this and take it on board that way, fine, that's their choice as an individual. However calling them out in any way, shape or form by @ing them on social media is childish. I don't know what good people think is going to come from it. 

Agreed, the ease of contacting players has made idiots think it's a great idea to do so. There are a few upsides to social media, but on the whole I think it's a cancerous tool that has caused a lot of harm to society.

Can you imagine hundreds if not thousands of drunken fools penning letters to players expressing their dissatisfaction after games in the days before the internet? I'm sure the odd lunatic did, mind.

• Like 3

Was on the pitch 15 minutes, 10 of which we were a man down and all he did was score the game winning penalty. I'd take that contribution any day.

H'e s not the way forward but what an absolute boss for stepping up in that situation and slotting the penalty home calf as can be. That takes balls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

delighted with the pen, but let's not kid ourselves, he's terrible. He dodnt actuallydo anything yesterday bar the pen. 

I wouldn’t expect our 4th choice winger to be much better than this tbh. But I do still think he has potential to step up and be a good squad player in the PL even though I don’t think he’ll ever be someone who starts every week.

41 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As you recognise this, why are you trying to discredit a point nobody is making?

That said I actually think it's unacceptable for some idiot on social media to directly criticise a player. If said player were to search their name or look at a place like this and take it on board that way, fine, that's their choice as an individual. However calling them out in any way, shape or form by @ing them on social media is childish. I don't know what good people think is going to come from it. 

Spot On

Do you know who has the right to criticise players? the management team. It is one thing on here but another thing entirely when it is on twitter or Instagram. Frankly I find it disgusting and the fact that he was defending it is a disgrace. 

Kinda easy to forget he’s only 25, but his name should be far from the starting XI. At best he’s a squad player but I don’t really believe he’s good enough to be a PL squad player.

If he can improve and play his bollocks off in training then who knows but I do wonder if he’s hit his ceiling. 

• Thanks 1

He is the one player Ive always hoped could turn his form around. Breaking his fast and then scoring a goal in the final. What a guy!

Will be interesting if he gets in against Burnley with Barkley probably coming back in the team. 

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's his lack of defensive work that has bugged me with him.

He should look to Trezeguet in inspiration in how to be a good teamplayer.

Even when Trez isn't delivering in the final third he is still offering us something important. When El Ghazi doesn't deliver in the final third he offers nothing.

For once I agree with you, I am deeply shocked.

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

We do write off players far too quickly as a fanbase.

I think there is a player in there.

It's been over two years I think we have an idea what he's like :lol:

He's an absolute classic inconsistent, mercurial winger.

So much more ability than Trez but simply doesn't have the mentality to knuckle down when the going gets tough. Well, I don't think we've seen it enough.

Bad spells of play from him or the team's bad form weighs so heavy on his shoulders. Wonder if he's seen/seeing a sports psychologist? It would really help him I think.

He unlocks even half the belief Jack, McGinn, Luiz, Mings, Martinez have in their own ability he's a top 10 PL winger all day long.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

delighted with the pen, but let's not kid ourselves, he's terrible. He dodnt actuallydo anything yesterday bar the pen. 

Well, he's not. He clearly has some ability, he's come through the famed Ajax academy which hardly produces duffs and also played for Lille who are a top team in France, as well as playing for Holland at just 20 (shame he hasn't pushed on since then, but then if he had he wouldn't be here I guess).

He had 15 minutes to do anything yesterday, we went down to 10 shortly after he came on, I'm not sure what you were expecting him to do. He scored the pen, we won, job done.

Technically he's absolutely fine, just struggles massively with consistency which is really disappointing because there is definitely a player in there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I think the same as you Ginger but there are those that will now want him back in the first team all because he scored the penalty and scored a goal that sealed promotion for the club.

We have to be realistic about this, at the moment you have Ghazi who scored a penalty but did nothing during his time on the pitch, no display or anything of note. You have Mings back to opening his mouth on social media and usually when his mind starts pouring into everything else apart from his football, he starts making mistakes on the pitch. It's most likely coincidence and nothing to do with his concentration. While it's nice hes defending Ghazi, why on earth just now has he decided to jump on this when the apparent abuse or criticism occurred a while ago now.

I for one wish our players would just concentrate on the damn football and not everything else in sight.

One thing concerns me though is after lockdown last season Smith all but sent Ghazi to the fringe squad and he was hardly used, out of that we actually performed better. I'm concerned that were about to see alot of Ghazi again and for some reason Smith is going to rely on him way to much, I shall not be happy and for a few obvious reasons.

It's all okay playing the lad but if he has to be given penaltys to score, while his displays are woeful, yet everyone's going to be cheering him on like hes some hero, then more fool us as fans. Now theres nothing wrong with wanting our players to perform, even the hateful and abusive fans want that, they just let there mouths and minds get carried away and do not think about there actions or words. Ghazi has to prove everyone that they are wrong, for me though I have no confidence that he can do that. If it was upto me he would be first out the door and someone more capable of this league brought in, I fear that Smith is to blind to let him go at the moment. 

I remember Kodjia before he left and how alot were siding with him saying we should keep him. An offer came in of around 9 million at the time, with which I said wed be mad not to take that up and mad we was because he went for peanuts in the end right. So yes what I'm saying is, if an offer comes in for Ghazi, where we can break even, make a little on top, we should snap it up, or were holding onto a player who's not coping very well in this league and hasn't been since last season.

Ghazi offers no defensive ability whatsoever, the amount of times his man has left him for dust and gone to score is crazy. Ghazi does not track back like Trezegeut does and help the team out or if he does it's a complete blunder. It used to be Ghazi was very good at positioning and yes last season he had a crazy amount of good positions but he could not put one away to save his life, the worst ones were in front of goal, time after time. There is also the cant be arsed to play segments to his game, he has shown on a couple of occasions that it's just not worth having him on the pitch when hes like that. Sometimes theres been the attitude with fellow team mates especially the headbutt on Mings. Really this is all since last year and it's a fair bit of a build up to what many people would call a problem player.

I said yesterday earlier in this thread that we as a fan base have to really move on one way or another either from the player or from the player hes been last season and this season so far. If were to move on from the player then he has to be sold so better quality can replace him. If were to move on from the player Ghazi has been then Ghazi to has to start showing some worth. Now it doesnt matter what hes done in the past, good or bad we have to now judge game by game and forget his promotion goal, his other bad things I listed above, it really just has to be a clean slate game by game. Ghazi has to aid in changing fans minds we cant just love him and say yeah keep him around he will get better, it doesn't work like that. Ghazi has to get some great showings under him and make fans believe because as of now we would be mad to extend any contract with him.

Another thing is when is Ghazi contract up??? I think if the lad can not find a way back by time his contract is up, then club and player should without a doubt part ways, just as we may have to with Davis. There is only so much a club can accept with players who are not performing and doing what they are supposed to be good at. If we want to move forward as a club, then when we can, we have to find better talent to replace the players who are as many would say are dead weight or it's time to cut the rot cant just keep them around for the sake of it can we especially if were to be a competing club again.

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

there are those that will now want him back in the first team all because he scored the penalty and scored a goal that sealed promotion for the club

1) Do you actually think anyone thinks he should be in the team just based on that goal? Seems a weird thing to say. I think ‘thinking he has done some good things for the club so should just be in the team’ and ‘thinking he has done some good things for the club so probably doesn’t deserve abuse’ are different positions.

2) Anyway this is all incorrect, didn’t McGinn score the goal that sealed promotion? Or am I remembering those goals the wrong way around?

• Thanks 1

Dean Smith has obviously seen his improvement in tracking back and general off the ball work for him to warrant coming back on to the bench and get some minutes in recent games. In fact hasn't Dean got a UEFA Pro licence? 

Cut off a few passing lanes against the dingles especially when we went down to 10. This requires someone to actually move and be defensively aware. 

When we sign better than him then he'll be sold. Until then I will watch his performances like I do with every player critically and objectively. 

The only thing he did got us 3 points. 

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It's been over two years I think we have an idea what he's like :lol:

He's an absolute classic inconsistent, mercurial winger.

So much more ability than Trez but simply doesn't have the mentality to knuckle down when the going gets tough. Well, I don't think we've seen it enough.

Bad spells of play from him or the team's bad form weighs so heavy on his shoulders. Wonder if he's seen/seeing a sports psychologist? It would really help him I think.

He unlocks even half the belief Jack, McGinn, Luiz, Mings, Martinez have in their own ability he's a top 10 PL winger all day long.

He was highly rated as a youngster at Ajax and lost his way a bit. He's very clearly a confidence player. If he had a bit of arrogance, he'd be much better. If he went out there every day thinking he was Ronaldo, even when it's not going well he'd have turned this around a long time ago.

• Like 1

Never have and never will understand vitriolic abuse towards one of our own players. Absolutely no justification for it whatsoever..

El Ghazi comes across as quite a sensitive sort, so I can imagine how hurt he was by the on line abuse. He has never once gave the impression that he's financially motivated. On the contrary, he has professed quite passionately how committed and proud he his to be representing this club. We should be applauding that attitude. You can also see how popular he his amongst the squad, as was evident from the joy of his teammates when he slotted home that pen. It was lovely to see. 

It says a lot when a player who has struggled for a place in the team still has nothing but a real desire to show his worth. 

Well done, El Ghazi. 

• Like 4

Â