Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

It could of been a load of messages that said: you did absolute trash today, at that level you should of won the game or you complete utter rocket polisher, you are the shittest player we have, go back to where you came from (the latter is horrible, the first is not), one is understandable and the other Is totally out of order. 

I'd argue both are bad things for a fan to say to a player completely out of the blue. It's like when an angry customer calls up the complaints department and screams abuse at the poor sod who's job is to answer the phone, and who had nothing to do with whatever they're angry about.

I get the analogy is a bit loose, but you get the idea. That sort of unwarranted direct criticism that was never asked for is bang out of order. People who do it seem unhinged.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Can you recall the last time that was, if I'm honest I'd say it was the beginning of last season when he popped a few goals in. He was very good at that point at the start of the season for a few games.

I think Trez has passed Ghazi in many areas now, to be fair I'd rather us find a new pair of wingers and sell them both but it's easier to keep Trez because hes actually doing something when he plays. Ghazi also has never been better than Trez at defending, speed, yes Ghazi was better at dribbling but I think hes been found out by it all and defenders know how easy it is to shut Ghazi down or take advantage of his weak marking.

Again though and as other have pointed out, we need someone who's on Grealish's ability of close on the right. Were not getting displays like Grealish will give at the standards he does from Ghazi or Trez (unclear on Traore time will tell) but we need better from our Wingers. This is partly the reason as to why we keep coming up short in some games because were effective down the left and ineffective down the right flank, it's not good enough anymore.

Newcastle after restart. Created 3 chances good opportunities for samatta (I think) but either he didn't commit or he fluffed his lines.

Created the only chance against Sheffield etc. He actually makes things happen when he has support unlike trez. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vreitti said:

Just curious, how you figure it "can easily be argued"? To me both are squad players at best. IMO Trez is an automatic starter if fit. Hope AEG improves though, should he be given the chance. 

Because Trezeguet didn't make the bench Saturday so there's a solid chance he might not be fully fit for Thursday? He also hasn't been in particularly good form of late. Traore is still bedding in, El Ghazi is a productive footballer on his day. 

I didn't say it is the right call or even the one I would make, only that it can be argued. Easily. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

49 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Newcastle after restart. Created 3 chances good opportunities for samatta (I think) but either he didn't commit or he fluffed his lines.

Created the only chance against Sheffield etc. He actually makes things happen when he has support unlike trez. 

By definition, if it falls to Samatta it's not a good chance, it's more like climbing mount Everest 😂

• Haha 1

The right Winger spot needs a serious upgrade, we can defend Ghazi, Trez all we like but for a long time now they are inconsistent and fall way short of stressing opposition on the right. We can not keep making excuses for players at this level if they can not put a decent level of performances in games. This is our second season in this league, yet the one common thing you read after games is that we need to stop attacking down the left so much and relying on Grealish for magic. If were to ever stop left wing attacking so much so we can mix it up then we have to look at why we do it so much and that is because our right wingers are not good enough.

It would probably be best to find new clubs for Trez and Ghazi and buy a new winger who can cause problems on the right for defenses. Were at a point now that if the Owners want to see improvements in wins from this season, then next summer were going to have to bring a real bit of quality talent in for the right. 

Really when you look at it we brought Barkley in for this season, it was obvious the midfield needed an upgrade and that was the right call, the same needs to happen for the right flank.

I think there will be clubs abroad who'd want Ghazi and Trez and who knows they may jump at the chance if an offer came up for them. We would be crazy not to take any offer up especially if Smith knows a much better improvement for the right.

As much as some people like Ghazi or Trez and others who have not made an appearance much, this or last season, the club does have to think about the now and the future. This is a tough league and some can and some cant cope with it, we do have our fair share of the ones who cant cope I'm afraid. If we was in the championship and this is how they were playing I'm sure there would be a conversation going on about how we need to sell them when we get promoted. Some of those who are defending them now would be saying they wont ever be good enough for the premier league as well and we should sell them so we can buy better players who can make a challenge for survival.

We can all agree I think that we want the club to start winning things at some point again as a club. Well to get to that point we can not be hanging on to players who dont have consistency in them for a start, let alone the ability to hang in the league with the best. It's a well known fact that a club who wants to win things and keep moving forward will have to get rid of its players who are not making the most of there games. When it's going on for a whole season or more if you can not see that certain players in there mid 20s have to move on for better to come in. You cant have it both ways for the club your support. You either want a collection of players you love despite how bad they are which is what you will get eventually and the club doesnt move any higher or you will each season swap them worse ones out for better so the club can move forward.

Each season you get your ins and outs, I certainly remember when we had to purge most of our championship stars (who got us promotion), but to upgrade the squad so we could at least survive this league they had to go. I dont ever remember any of you at the time mounting a defence suggesting we should keep any of those promotion players, all because you liked them. No defence whatsoever towards other likeable players like your doing with Ghazi or Trez, point blank if they are not going to be of use and in a business sense they then need to be sold.

I for one think that if we had the opportunity of a world class right winger, but Ghazi had to be sold, you would soon change your stance. If Smith thought this player he wanted to sign was going to be excellent for the club, i dont think youd be saying no to it if the only thing that was stopping the signing was that we had to get rid of Ghazi for that player. I wonder how many of you who are now jumping to his defence of Ghazi would be by saying no let's keep Ghazi and not sign excellent player that's way above Ghazi or Trezegeut level. You will change your minds in blink of an eye if you knew Ghazi was to be sold to make way for someone who could smash that right flank, why?? Because despite your defending of Ghazi and making out hes this ace player, deep down you know full well he isnt for this league. At some point whether you or I like it or not, Ghazi and Trez are going to have to go unless they improve alot. In a business sense and in the sense of moving this club forward and raising the clubs profile for much better improved players to join we have to keep in mind that we have this ongoing transfer business of selling our weak to make way for the much needed better players who fit into Smith's system. The club is trying to get back to where it used to be which is up the top, it certainly will not do that if we dont spend and replace our weakest positions will it??? I'm sure some think we can keep the same team for over half a decade. Im sure some think so long as players are liked that alone keeps them here regardless of them doing bad for two seasons long. Being liked and loved by you or me does not point this club in the right direction in the league or win titles and trophies. The players themselves know that the only thing that does that is Wins and to win at that level, every player on the field has to be at the top of there game. Expendable is what I'd use for players who drift down a road of not performing at this level, your either it or your not as sad as it sounds it's TRUE.

'at the end of the day if you’re going to be a professional footballer, you’ve got to be prepared to get criticism.' is Dave from Redditch's justification for calling El Ghazi a 'useless c***' on twitter. 38 years old and he's sending crap like that to players. Athletic article below:

“Good morning villains. I really hope all you who were berating and hounding El Ghazi enough to make him suspend his social media are in his DMs today apologising,” tweeted Aston Villa defender Tyrone Mings following Saturday’s smash-and-grab win over Wolves. “A team game utilises a WHOLE squad and we need everyone. May your apology be as loud as the disrespect.”

Dutch winger Anwar El Ghazi has been out of favour with manager Dean Smith this season but coolly converted an injury-time penalty against Wolves after coming on as a substitute. 

Earlier this season following a poor performance in the League Cup, three Villa players — El Ghazi, Henri Lansbury and Kourtney Hause — suspended their social media accounts after receiving a torrent of abuse from fans after defeat to Stoke City.

The Athletic has tracked down a couple of the fans who abused El Ghazi on social media earlier this year, and asked them about Mings’ words. El Ghazi was left both saddened and frustrated by the criticism he received, especially knowing that his game time will be limited because of new midfield signings Ross Barkley and Bertrand Traore. 

David, 38, works in a supermarket and lives in Redditch just south of Birmingham. He sent a tweet calling El Ghazi a “useless c***” after a crucial miss against Everton last season. He says he regrets his actions, and admits to not considering the human impact of a tweet made in haste while watching a vital game on TV rather than his usual vantage point in the stands of Villa Park.

“It’s not great, is it? I can understand why people say it’s wrong,” he told The Athletic. “People don’t really think (about their actions) online, it’s just a venting exercise. I think the world the way is right now, there’s a lot of negatives, football is a frustrating game. When things are going well, it’s easy to get behind people.”

Asked about the impact on players, he stands by his criticism of some of El Ghazi’s performances. “I understand where Mings is coming from, but at the end of the day if you’re going to be a professional footballer, you’ve got to be prepared to get criticism.”

Being a Premier League player brings big money and the potential of fame and glory, but also pressure and responsibility. Nobody thinks footballers should be above criticism.

At the time, El Ghazi’s miss against Everton felt like it might consign Villa to a return to the Championship after a disappointing first season in the Premier League. But a few days after that draw at Goodison Park, Villa beat Arsenal at home, then drew at West Ham to secure another season in the Premier League, which looked a remote prospect just a few weeks earlier. 

Since the summer break, the club has seen an extraordinary improvement, winning six of their first 10 Premier League games including thumping wins over Liverpool and Arsenal, with new signings Emiliano Martinez, Matty Cash and Ollie Watkins making an instant impact.

Another fan, a man in his 20s living in Cambridgeshire, also sent an abusive tweet after the miss against Everton. “I feel like at the time it was a lot of pent-up aggression towards not just El Ghazi himself but to the situation with Villa,” he told The Athletic. “Unfortunately after that specific game, it fell to El Ghazi as a scapegoat, which I feel ashamed of.”

The fan is happy to apologise for his actions but insists on remaining completely anonymous. “My work would not be OK with it being put out there.”

This highlights how the power imbalance between fan and a player can cut both ways. On the one hand, a football fan can subject a player to scrutiny unheard of in almost any other job, hurling abuse from the stands or, via social media, from the sofa.

On the other, average fans have far less money than a professional footballer and have far more to lose if they get in trouble. “I suppose you don’t really see footballers as normal people because they live such a lavish lifestyle, they’re worlds apart,” says David.

The anonymous fan is very contrite about his actions.

“If I could speak to El Ghazi now I’d say that I’m sorry if it came across as hurtful, and that it was only meant in criticism. It was sad that Anwar felt the need to quit Twitter and in fact quite shameful that Villa fans prompted that reaction out of him.”

But there is something particularly personal about abuse on Twitter, which rather than simply tweeting about the player, incorporates their username so they see the tweet as a notification, which can feel like a personal message as they check their phone in the dressing room after a disappointing performance.

“I usually do speak to players directly, not because I want to shame them, but more in the fact I think, if I’m going to say something, I shouldn’t beat around the bush — I should just say it,” says the anonymous fan.

Like many clubs, Villa hire sports psychologists to help players manage the mental burden of playing at the top level. “You can tell when players are having bad days because you get to know them the longer you’re with them. They’re human beings and have emotions,” said Villa manager Dean Smith earlier this season.  

“They have sensitivities and sometimes some of them might need a quiet word and you get a good feel then if there is anything and, if you can’t deal with it yourself or your coaches can’t, you can tip off your sports psychologist. Then, you can see if they want to talk discreetly but they might not want to talk. I would never force my sports psychologist to go and speak to anybody.”

El Ghazi was one of the first signings by Villa owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens who took over the club in the summer of 2018 and have helped engineer a remarkable turnaround. The Dutchman signed on loan from Lille at first and was known for being rather shy and quiet in the dressing room and training ground, but strong performances on the pitch, as well as a family member living in England, helped him settle in.

The undoubted highlight of his Villa career so far was a stooping header just before half-time in the 2019 play-off final at Wembley, helping Villa beat Frank Lampard’s Derby County 2-1 and win promotion back to the Premier League after three years of absence.

The player then signed on a permanent deal but didn’t quite hit the same heights in his first season in the Premier League, though did score six goals and demonstrated his versatility by playing up front during an injury crisis last winter, performing well in the two-legged League Cup semi-final win over Leicester City. He is said to be consistently excellent in training, skilful and an excellent finisher, hence club captain Jack Grealish’s surprising decision to hand him the ball to take the vital penalty against Wolves. 

Notably, it was Mings who took a stand to support his team-mate this weekend.

The two men clashed (above) last September during a home draw with West Ham, when the Dutchman reacted furiously to the England international questioning his commitment to tracking back. El Ghazi is known for being a fiery character, which means he is more likely than many players to struggle with social media criticism, particularly when it crosses the line into outright abuse.

The El Ghazi incident has kicked off a wider debate in football, with Watford’s Troy Deeney saying on Talksport that players who are affected by social media abuse should log off. “Your world still spins without social media.”

Both fans who spoke to The Athletic maintain their right to criticise their team’s players — men who earn money beyond the fans’ wildest dreams to pull on the claret-and-blue shirt. But both also accept there is a clear line between criticism and targeted abuse, which is not acceptable.

As for El Ghazi, the road ahead is a tough one because Villa have made several signings since last season and have been performing far better as a result. “We’ve been able to keep a consistent team this season for the ten games we’ve played,” said Dean Smith after the win at Wolves. “It’s been very difficult for anybody else to break into the team.”

Injuries and suspensions, though, mean El Ghazi is likely to start against Burnley at Villa Park on Thursday. 

“All the players here have got a future,” says Dean Smith.

The Dutchman has shut himself off from social media for the past couple of months. This means he has protected himself from seeing some nasty abuse. But over the past few days, it also means he has missed out on a wave of positivity from Villa fans on social media.

Perhaps in training this week one of his team-mates will load up the Twitter app and show him that El Ghazi has a lot of admirers among the Villa fanbase, who are willing him on to play well this season, and will never forget that magic moment at Wembley.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

You will change your minds in blink of an eye if you knew Ghazi was to be sold to make way for someone who could smash that right flank, why?? Because despite your defending of Ghazi and making out hes this ace player, deep down you know full well he isnt for this league.

I think this is the major point being made by your post.

We defend him because no player deserves to recieved outright abuse. We defend him because right now, he's one of ours and should receive our backing to do well.

Nobody is saying he's above criticism and his performances shouldn't be scrutinized, nor is anybody saying he's infallible and irreplaceable. We're just saying he deserves respect. That's it.

18 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I was expecting him to run, track back, touch the ball even. He should be nowhere near the first team.

Nice guy and great pen but horrendous footballer

This is an exaggeration. If you said Taylor, Hause, Lansbury - yeah, they're pretty bad at football and we really need to move them on. El Ghazi is not a horrendous footballer and if his mentality and work rate was as strong as his technique he'd actually be quite good at this level. 

I don't think he's first team standard if we're looking to break top 10 and push for the European places but he's not as bad as you make out. He's also done some good things for the club including breaking his fast so he could perform in the final to get us up. 

That right wing position is hardly nailed on for anyone at the club right now, both Trez and Traore aren't pulling up trees, Trez merely gets the nod most weeks because he works hard but he has missed big chances in games for us that have cost us points. AEG is another option for the time being until we bring in better quality.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

The right Winger spot needs a serious upgrade, we can defend Ghazi, Trez all we like but for a long time now they are inconsistent and fall way short of stressing opposition on the right. We can not keep making excuses for players at this level if they can not put a decent level of performances in games. This is our second season in this league, yet the one common thing you read after games is that we need to stop attacking down the left so much and relying on Grealish for magic. If were to ever stop left wing attacking so much so we can mix it up then we have to look at why we do it so much and that is because our right wingers are not good enough.

It would probably be best to find new clubs for Trez and Ghazi and buy a new winger who can cause problems on the right for defenses. Were at a point now that if the Owners want to see improvements in wins from this season, then next summer were going to have to bring a real bit of quality talent in for the right. 

Really when you look at it we brought Barkley in for this season, it was obvious the midfield needed an upgrade and that was the right call, the same needs to happen for the right flank.

I think there will be clubs abroad who'd want Ghazi and Trez and who knows they may jump at the chance if an offer came up for them. We would be crazy not to take any offer up especially if Smith knows a much better improvement for the right.

As much as some people like Ghazi or Trez and others who have not made an appearance much, this or last season, the club does have to think about the now and the future. This is a tough league and some can and some cant cope with it, we do have our fair share of the ones who cant cope I'm afraid. If we was in the championship and this is how they were playing I'm sure there would be a conversation going on about how we need to sell them when we get promoted. Some of those who are defending them now would be saying they wont ever be good enough for the premier league as well and we should sell them so we can buy better players who can make a challenge for survival.

We can all agree I think that we want the club to start winning things at some point again as a club. Well to get to that point we can not be hanging on to players who dont have consistency in them for a start, let alone the ability to hang in the league with the best. It's a well known fact that a club who wants to win things and keep moving forward will have to get rid of its players who are not making the most of there games. When it's going on for a whole season or more if you can not see that certain players in there mid 20s have to move on for better to come in. You cant have it both ways for the club your support. You either want a collection of players you love despite how bad they are which is what you will get eventually and the club doesnt move any higher or you will each season swap them worse ones out for better so the club can move forward.

Each season you get your ins and outs, I certainly remember when we had to purge most of our championship stars (who got us promotion), but to upgrade the squad so we could at least survive this league they had to go. I dont ever remember any of you at the time mounting a defence suggesting we should keep any of those promotion players, all because you liked them. No defence whatsoever towards other likeable players like your doing with Ghazi or Trez, point blank if they are not going to be of use and in a business sense they then need to be sold.

I for one think that if we had the opportunity of a world class right winger, but Ghazi had to be sold, you would soon change your stance. If Smith thought this player he wanted to sign was going to be excellent for the club, i dont think youd be saying no to it if the only thing that was stopping the signing was that we had to get rid of Ghazi for that player. I wonder how many of you who are now jumping to his defence of Ghazi would be by saying no let's keep Ghazi and not sign excellent player that's way above Ghazi or Trezegeut level. You will change your minds in blink of an eye if you knew Ghazi was to be sold to make way for someone who could smash that right flank, why?? Because despite your defending of Ghazi and making out hes this ace player, deep down you know full well he isnt for this league. At some point whether you or I like it or not, Ghazi and Trez are going to have to go unless they improve alot. In a business sense and in the sense of moving this club forward and raising the clubs profile for much better improved players to join we have to keep in mind that we have this ongoing transfer business of selling our weak to make way for the much needed better players who fit into Smith's system. The club is trying to get back to where it used to be which is up the top, it certainly will not do that if we dont spend and replace our weakest positions will it??? I'm sure some think we can keep the same team for over half a decade. Im sure some think so long as players are liked that alone keeps them here regardless of them doing bad for two seasons long. Being liked and loved by you or me does not point this club in the right direction in the league or win titles and trophies. The players themselves know that the only thing that does that is Wins and to win at that level, every player on the field has to be at the top of there game. Expendable is what I'd use for players who drift down a road of not performing at this level, your either it or your not as sad as it sounds it's TRUE.

Aside from the fact El Ghazi and Trezeguet are potentially playing with actual confidence now, how have you written this entire essay without even acknowledging that we signed Traore, who is a right-winger...?

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

There's no excuse for it.  It's cringeworthy on here, let alone elsewhere.

A lot of football fans are just awful human beings, really.

People very often get "criticism" and "abuse" confused.....calling someone a useless **** is not a critique, it's just name-calling.

Edited by carewjust4u
  • Like 4

“It’s not great, is it? I can understand why people say it’s wrong,” he told The Athletic. “People don’t really think (about their actions) online, it’s just a venting exercise. 

He started off so well.

6 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

People very often get "criticism" and "abuse" confused.....calling someone a useless **** is not a critique, it's just name-calling.

This is the crux of the issue, I think. 

I think the problem is that a lot of adults don't actually act like it. There are far too many people who revel in their ignorance or double-down on their opinions when called out, because it's a lot easier to stick their fingers in their ears than it is to actually take stock and turn that critical gaze on themselves - imagine the outrage/upset if somebody started harassing them online with abusive messages.

I don't want to get into politics here, but it's a damning reflection of many in society.  

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 4

Let him start against Burnley. Sure, he only scored a penalty, but in reality he won us 3 points and earned a shot in the starting line-up. Will also keep Traore on his toes knowing he has to do more too.

Edited by a-k

13 minutes ago, a-k said:

Let him start against Burnley. Sure, he only scored a penalty, but in reality he won us 3 points and earned a shot in the starting line-up. Will also keep Traore on his toes knowing he has to do more too.

Thanks for the points Anwar but this should never happen Traore did enough to keep his place in my eyes.

8 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Thanks for the points Anwar but this should never happen Traore did enough to keep his place in my eyes.

Agree Traore definitely starts for me but we should utilise Anwar appropriately of course. Just because he scored a decent pen doesn't mean he's suddenly the second coming. Same as Conor, if he comes on and scores a worldly well sorry but the same applies. You have to do the business week in week out to be starting regularly and some players don't have that in them. 

Edited by birdman

Â