Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

14 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

It's also the treatment of footballers like they aren't humans too. 

Watching the interview with el ghazi after the game, he's clearly a well spoken, nice and honest chap. Probably a popular guy in the dressing room and part of this closely knit bunch we have, why is it ok to treat someone like that badly?

Some people seem to think that if you are paid highly, you're fair game to abuse and don't feel emotions. 

I think a lot of it is projection and venting. It's a lot easier to scream at El Ghazi than it is to tell your boss/wife/kids what you really think. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

They're different players. If you combined the relative skillsets, you'd have a hell of a winger on your hands. 

RE: AEG, for me it's clear that he struggles with his confidence and it comes across as him not working hard. All you needed to do was watch his post-match interview to see that he's not an arrogant guy. 

IMO, I think it's safe to say that the level we need from him is above what we can regularly deliver, for whatever reason. The ability is in there, but whether he can get to grips with the mental side of the game is a whole different story. 

12 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Can you recall the last time that was, if I'm honest I'd say it was the beginning of last season when he popped a few goals in. He was very good at that point at the start of the season for a few games.

I think Trez has passed Ghazi in many areas now, to be fair I'd rather us find a new pair of wingers and sell them both but it's easier to keep Trez because hes actually doing something when he plays. Ghazi also has never been better than Trez at defending, speed, yes Ghazi was better at dribbling but I think hes been found out by it all and defenders know how easy it is to shut Ghazi down or take advantage of his weak marking.

Again though and as other have pointed out, we need someone who's on Grealish's ability of close on the right. Were not getting displays like Grealish will give at the standards he does from Ghazi or Trez (unclear on Traore time will tell) but we need better from our Wingers. This is partly the reason as to why we keep coming up short in some games because were effective down the left and ineffective down the right flank, it's not good enough anymore.

Okay, I agree they are different players. What I should have said was that El Ghazi offers us much more than Trezeguet in an attacking sense. Trezeguet is better defensively but that's it. I would say he offers us absolutely nothing going forward. Trezeguet may even make a decent-ish full back but he's just not an attacking player. I just don't see what he offers us. He can't only be in the team for his defensive work because Cash is very solid defensively. We don't need a defensive winger in front of him. Cash's defensive ability allows us to have a winger like El Ghazi instead.

For me, El Ghazi's issues are the mental side of the game, no question. When he first joined and was in and out of the team under Bruce, he looked so short of confidence. He found it under Smith and was one of our best players in our charge to promotion and was MOTM in the play off final. Unplayable that day because his confidence was through the roof. He started last season well too but it seemed to fall away again during our really bad run over winter. It seems like when things are going well, he can be a real asset but during the hard times for the team he disappears. That's a mental thing and nothing to do with ability because he's proven it is in there.

But the stick he got last season was obscene from those pathetic twitter trolls. How is that meant to help a confidence driven player?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Are you mad?

Calling him mad like he's comparing AEG to Messi lol.

Trez has been really poor recently (after a nice start to the season). AEG has been really poor for ages. I am fond of both of them - both have contributed immensely, and we wouldn't be where we are today without AEG in the play-offs and Trez's goals last year. However, being frank, neither are good enough for a top 6-10 team - which we'd hope to be this year or next (however Traore looks just as bad, mind).

I find the online abuse AEG suffered from 'fans' deplorable.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, sne said:

Was on the pitch 15 minutes, 10 of which we were a man down and all he did was score the game winning penalty. I'd take that contribution any day.

H'e s not the way forward but what an absolute boss for stepping up in that situation and slotting the penalty home calf as can be. That takes balls.

0407EE3C-791D-4172-BD4B-4153DBECEF92.jpeg

• Haha 1

The always interesting Troy Deeney's thoughts on this. I admire Deeney, so you can read that at face value.
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/troy-deeney-wades-anwar-el-19452792

I agree with  the few comments I've read on here on the social media issue. It doesn't make any sense to me why you would contact someone or @ them to criticise them. Opinions on social media are not a reasonable reflection on society's opinion in general. Surely we know and understand this by now, enough to draw a line, and say, it doesn't matter. People behave badly this way. Even on this forum we can understand that it isn't really a true reflection of all opinion on Villa.

Most people can't be bothered to add their opinion on any kind of forum. I can barely be bothered to write this.

• Like 1

I'm that one guy still waiting for it all to click for El Ghazi. He's still only 25, so I have some hope left, but it is also quite clear he does not fit our current system as a right winger. So that 'clicking' may need to take place elsewhere.

However it can easily be argued that he deserves a start ahead of Traore on Thursday. We should all want him to do well?

42 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

He was told by the club to shut it down and we dont know the details of it all. All we know is that during the Carabao cup both Ghazi and Lansbury had been contacted by some fans.Now what those fans said had never come to light, not one word. It could of been a load of messages that said: you did absolute trash today, at that level you should of won the game or you complete utter rocket polisher, you are the shittest player we have, go back to where you came from (the latter is horrible, the first is not), one is understandable and the other Is totally out of order. 

We just dont know what has been said, by how many, how bad it all actually was, the club wont reveal it because they want it gone as quick as can be and dealt with quietly. I will say though that if it was real abuse, racial or whatever the club would not have tolerated it one but, they didnt with that young youth who gave ZAHA a racial abusive battering, Villa do not stand for that type of behaviour. I think it was more in the way that fans were being annoying towards Ghazi and Lansbury and when a good majority are doing it the clubs advice will be just shut it down for a while till it blows over.

I have not even checked but are there accounts back up by any chance??? and if they have been reactivated how long after the incident was they activated.

How do you know the club told him to shut it down? 

Do you really believe the bit in bold to be true if they are then happy to allow Mings to post what he did, referencing it and bringing it back into the media spotlight?

Do you really think, club or himself, would shut down his social media if it was just a few fans saying he's had a bad game or something? That would be incredibly, incredibly naive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Can you recall the last time that was, if I'm honest I'd say it was the beginning of last season when he popped a few goals in. He was very good at that point at the start of the season for a few games.

I think Trez has passed Ghazi in many areas now, to be fair I'd rather us find a new pair of wingers and sell them both but it's easier to keep Trez because hes actually doing something when he plays. Ghazi also has never been better than Trez at defending, speed, yes Ghazi was better at dribbling but I think hes been found out by it all and defenders know how easy it is to shut Ghazi down or take advantage of his weak marking.

Again though and as other have pointed out, we need someone who's on Grealish's ability of close on the right. Were not getting displays like Grealish will give at the standards he does from Ghazi or Trez (unclear on Traore time will tell) but we need better from our Wingers. This is partly the reason as to why we keep coming up short in some games because were effective down the left and ineffective down the right flank, it's not good enough anymore.

Trezeguet has missed a lot of sitters recently. These have cost us wins. Ghazi had a 'sitter' (penalty) and buried it. 😜

To find someone of comparable ability to Jack is going to be expensive or take time because you'll have to buy a youngster.

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm that one guy still waiting for it all to click for El Ghazi. He's still only 25, so I have some hope left, but it is also quite clear he does not fit our current system as a right winger. So that 'clicking' may need to take place elsewhere.

However it can easily be argued that he deserves a start ahead of Traore on Thursday. We should all want him to do well?

There is a player in there, definitely. It may not be here where he realises his potential but I really think many have written him off too soon. His best position is probably on the left side of a front 3 but obviously he's not playing there over Grealish.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

On the ball El Ghazi is better, off the ball its Trez

I dont think Trez scores the penalty

I dread to think what would happen with Trezeguet taking a 90th min penalty. I can just see him tripping himself up in the run up to the ball and then somehow back-heeling it to the opposition who then break down the other end and score. He certainly doesn't have the natural footballing technique that El Ghazi does.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

How do you know the club told him to shut it down? 

Do you really believe the bit in bold to be true if they are then happy to allow Mings to post what he did, referencing it and bringing it back into the media spotlight?

Do you really think, club or himself, would shut down his social media if it was just a few fans saying he's had a bad game or something? That would be incredibly, incredibly naive.

The club had come out themself and issued the statement to say that advised Ghazi and Lansbury to shut down there Social media account due to fans harassing them. They issued a statement days after it at happened, that's how we know and thats all that was said is that they advised the players who had received the harassment to deactivate there accounts.

I hope he gets a start or minutes on Thursday but it is coming to the point where it's win or bust for himself at Villa. I like him as he is exciting to watch on his day. 

He was poor last season but still contributed 8 goals last season with a lack of minutes. 

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Just curious, how you figure it "can easily be argued"? To me both are squad players at best. IMO Trez is an automatic starter if fit. Hope AEG improves though, should he be given the chance. 

19 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Well, he's not. He clearly has some ability, he's come through the famed Ajax academy which hardly produces duffs and also played for Lille who are a top team in France, as well as playing for Holland at just 20 (shame he hasn't pushed on since then, but then if he had he wouldn't be here I guess).

He had 15 minutes to do anything yesterday, we went down to 10 shortly after he came on, I'm not sure what you were expecting him to do. He scored the pen, we won, job done.

Technically he's absolutely fine, just struggles massively with consistency which is really disappointing because there is definitely a player in there. 

I was expecting him to run, track back, touch the ball even. He should be nowhere near the first team.

Nice guy and great pen but horrendous footballer

Â