John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just don’t be shit and now you’re brilliant lol.

He was ok today, far from rubbish and he had a better game than last week but that is all. Fingers crossed his form continues to improve.

Brilliant lol 😂 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

He was not brilliant today though? He played 2 good passes, won the ball well once or twice. Then scuppered every single other attack when he got the ball because he plays with zero urgency at all but at the same time rushes every attack. Crosses and shoots from awful positions. Takes forever when he receives it letting the opponents defence gets set. Never moves it quickly to create an advantage. 

The system doesn't help him. It's very difficult for any midfielder not just Sjm to pass instinctively, because the quick switch is invariably to the wings, which is rarely an option. 

He was excellent today...  Both our goals came from McGinn tackles and quick passes up to Watkins in the right channel (first goal) and Buendia in the hole (second goal)...

...but let's just focus on the passes that didn't go through and call him shit.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

The system doesn't help him. It's very difficult for any midfielder not just Sjm to pass instinctively, because the quick switch is invariably to the wings, which is rarely an option. 

Completely agree with this. Playing Coutinho, Ramsay & him might get us through a few games, but I don't think that's a long term tactic that will be successful.

I thought he was pretty good today, but still thought that Ramsay and Kamara had better games than he did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

People saying he has haters...

I think he just has people who see him for what he is, and his fanboys can't take it and label them haters.

Same with the Hulk on the marvel message board I post on

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

He was excellent today...  Both our goals came from McGinn tackles and quick passes up to Watkins in the right channel (first goal) and Buendia in the hole (second goal)...

They resulted in the opposition getting up the pitch and having attacks. Better opposition and they score. He still hits too many aimless balls when we’re in good positions.

however….

Once he cut the Hollywood passes out and kept it simple he improved. This was from about the 20th minute. 

Oh and btw I know you’re a McGinn fanboy but the second goal came initially from Bailey making the tackle which McGinn played forward from the resulting loose ball. It wasn’t McGinn who made the tackle. 

14 hours ago, KMitch said:

He has a good range of passing for all the talk about his long balls it's the best part of his game 

Against a low block he will do the business. He's a high risk passer with good technique and good weight on a pass that needs time and space.

Against the other 14 odd teams in the league he's bang average because he can't or refuses to get on the ball in tight spaces, is slow , ponderous and has the agility of a brick. 

Though his arse did look less pronounced yesterday. Body fat or muscle he looks leaner either way.

Edited by rodders0223

Just want to bump the thread, as after re watching highlights and analysis, he was actually very good.

Pass completion rate was something like 88 percent and he won a high percentage of duels etc.

It's a shame his thread only gets active when he is shite.

Hopefully he kicks on from here and brings the SUPER back.

Good Captains performance for his first home game as one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just want to bump the thread, as after re watching highlights and analysis, he was actually very good.

Pass completion rate was something like 88 percent and he won a high percentage of duels etc.

JV, the masses have spoken, he was shit, will always be shit and needs replacing ASAP with someone in fashion who will later become shit. 

He's shit. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Sad 1

Everton had one fit centre midfielder who then went off injured, if McGinn cant outperform Alex Iwobi in centre midfield then its a problem

"we've got McGinn, Quite good John McGinn"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Everton had one fit centre midfielder who then went off injured, if McGinn cant outperform Alex Iwobi in centre midfield then its a problem

So did he perform well or not?

The effort to put a negative spin on absolutely everything is ridiculous.

Personally, I didn't even notice him much during the game.

As i said, I watched analysis and highlights, and it pointed out that his stats and play were very encouraging.

Which is surely a good thing?

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So did he perform well or not?

The effort to put a negative spin on absolutely everything is ridiculous.

Personally, I didn't even notice him much during the game.

As i said, I watched analysis and highlights, and it pointed out that his stats and play were very encouraging.

Which is surely a good thing?

He was ok, nothing bad and nothing spectacular but as Everton had no midfield its not really fair to judge his midfield performance against a team with one centre midfielder who played 33 minutes before injury

• Like 1

He had a good game and was integral in the win. If he can play like that every week he'll be OK and can hopefully win round a few of the doubters.

Ramsay also had a decent game but I still think those two together leaves us too exposed in transition. 

Â