John McGinn

PompeyVillan

31 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

At no time in the Championship was McGinn woeful. Thats plain nonsense......as I'm sure you know.

In our first season back he was easily one of our best players......fact.

As of now, no probably shouldn't be captain or first name on the sheet, but respect what the kid has done for us if nothing else....

Ok. Fact.

I actually kind of felt sorry for him.

I'm hoping the Captaincy doesn't have the opposite effect on him as intended, and actually makes him worse through pressure!

I was hoping who would have tried to drive us harder today, but everything just seemed off.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

To bd controversial if he has to keep him in tbe side then he can play left of a front 3 to replace the Trez impersonator.who played today. Then he can  Cause some chaos. But the one thing he cannot do is be an intelligent central midfielder. He is a throw back to a late 80s early 90s player. Too many turnovers. Too much bluster not enough composure. 

If you are going to play him in the front 3 just play Buendia instead who has as all of McGinn's positive qualities but better and fewer of his negative ones. 

Last season with Mings you could hear him talking to players , encouraging players  shouting at players if required 

I don’t think I saw McGinn utter a single word out there today ? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Just my opinion, but he shouldn't be captain, he is ripe to be replaced if we are to improve, he would be a squad player, not first name on the team sheet. 

I don't think you are alone.

He was the player we needed to dump before

Can’t believe this oaf is our captain, such a frustrating and inconsistent player. Slow and clumsy for the most part.

Not the same player who got us promoted and made an initial impact in PL.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Last season with Mings you could hear him talking to players , encouraging players  shouting at players if required 

I don’t think I saw McGinn utter a single word out there today ? 

He is not captain material, many people realise that. Not good ol’ SG though, clueless.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually kind of felt sorry for him.

I'm hoping the Captaincy doesn't have the opposite effect on him as intended, and actually makes him worse through pressure!

I was hoping who would have tried to drive us harder today, but everything just seemed off.

I’m quite fearful of this… he’s not cut out for this role…

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

McGinn was class in the championship, and was one of our key players in our first season up. Anyone disputing that is just wrong. Our form dipped when he got injured and improved when he returned. Let’s not rewrite history, he has done a lot for this club.

But he shouldn’t be a nailed on starter anymore. We can all see his limitations, and we have players in the squad who don’t have those limitations, and aren’t starting. It doesn’t make any sense.

See I don't even agree he was key in our first season back in the prem. He started well, got a few goals, but his form started dipping around October, then he got injured, came back for project restart and wasn't fit, being bang average as a result. He was only good for a couple of months. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I don’t think I saw McGinn utter a single word out🤚 there today ? 

No your right i noticed the sAme thing. Gerrards really does make some odd and stupid decisions.

In his presser he said just because mcginns been made captain does not mean he will start. Well he was dogshite yesterday. Hands up if you think mcginns starting next week

🤚

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WooJung said:

See I don't even agree he was key in our first season back in the prem. He started well, got a few goals, but his form started dipping around October, then he got injured, came back for project restart and wasn't fit, being bang average as a result. He was only good for a couple of months. 

Our form fell off a cliff when he was out (along with Heaton and Wesley to be fair). He was very important to us. He started 20/21 pretty brightly too before fading into the player we are now used to.

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Our form fell off a cliff when he was out (along with Heaton and Wesley to be fair). He was very important to us. He started 20/21 pretty brightly too before fading into the player we are now used to.

Our form was already poor before his injury, and so were his performances. And sure, he was probably our best midfielder at the time, of course we missed him. That however says a lot more about our squad back then than it does about him

I do agree he was good at the beginning of 20/21

For me he was supposed to be a squad player this season, with JJ getting equal or more game time and an upgrade CM brought in this Summer to share the load and McGinn possibly sold next year.

Making him captain was a ridiculous decision as he (IMHO) was one of our CMs that needed to be upgraded on as we revolve as a team, similar to the Digne and Targett situation.

He’s a traditional CM, gets stuck in, the odd goal but we need to move to the next level. 

This is the decision that i think could back fire on him spectacularly.

None of the fans get it. I dont see many people who were in favor of this move. You would get it if mcginn was consistently brilliant or a leader on the pitch and he is neither.

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

None of the fans get it. I dont see many people who were in favor of this move. You would get it if mcginn was consistently brilliant or a leader on the pitch and he is neither.

Completely agree. It says it all that in the poll we had, before the decision was made not a single person voted to make McGinn captain over keeping Mings, or giving it to Martinez

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He had zero votes in the captaincy thread before it was announced

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He had zero votes in the captaincy thread before it was announced

Says it all. No one gets this at all. If gerrard wants to kepe the fanbase on side he needs to stop being stubborn and making wierd decisions 

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah McGinn is the heart and soul of the team anyway whether he is captain or not, or even in the XI.  He doesn't need to be captain.  

McGinn is the heart of the soul of the team even if he's not in the XI, ya what?

12 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

If you are going to play him in the front 3 just play Buendia instead who has as all of McGinn's positive qualities but better and fewer of his negative ones. 

This. McGinn should be nowhere near the front 3, nor the middle 3 tbf.

Â