John McGinn

PompeyVillan

As i said Right, i never thought he was as good as some on here thought, but hes not as bad as some are saying. £2m is/was certainly very good value.

Personally , if we get Sarr i would be looking for a Bissouma clone and a CF, and let McGinn, Luiz, Watkins, Ings, and Luiz go. Not one of them good enough to be where we want to be.

1 minute ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

As i said Right, i never thought he was as good as some on here thought, but hes not as bad as some are saying. £2m is/was certainly very good value.

Personally , if we get Sarr i would be looking for a Bissouma clone and a CF, and let McGinn, Luiz, Watkins, Ings, and Luiz go. Not one of them good enough to be where we want to be.

Brilliant signing.  A great player for us for a couple of seasons.  But mid-table PL is a step too far for him (at least as a starting player).  I'd want to keep him but use him much more as a super sub.  Letting Luiz go twice is a bit extreme!!  Again I think he's a good option on the bench and so I'd be trying to keep hold of him for another season or two.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's not good enough for where we want to be. 

I don't want it to end badly with him. He's been a key part of turning this club round but by this stage he should be a strong squad player, not the **** captain.

I’d argue he isn’t good enough for where we don’t want to be. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's not good enough for where we want to be. 

I don't want it to end badly with him. He's been a key part of turning this club round but by this stage he should be a strong squad player, not the **** captain.

shadow of the original version.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

He needs to be dropped. He absolutely cannot continue to play in midfield for us. He has one move - receive the ball in the inside right position in midfield, open his body up and either clip the ball over the top or use his arse to defend the ball if he’s under pressure.

He’s a very poor footballer at this level. 

Yup. Painfully limited but Steven can't see it.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He needs to be dropped. He absolutely cannot continue to play in midfield for us. He has one move - receive the ball in the inside right position in midfield, open his body up and either clip the ball over the top or use his arse to defend the ball if he’s under pressure.

i just dont get how anyone can not see this.

But this guy is the captain.

WTF, am i living in the twilight zone or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Absolutely criminal that he's a nailed on starter for us every single God damn game.

It's really draining.

It is utterly baffling. He is not on form, hasn't been for a while and Luiz is much better . Our manager makes him captain, though, which for me is one of the clearest indications that he doesn't know what he is doing. Terrible terrible decision 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why haven't any pundits or media worth their salt pointed out the ludicrous decision to make McGinn captain?  He is the weakest link in our midfield (I know there are several) and it's baffling to imagine he is going to start every game.

I've not spoken to a single Villa fan who has been anything other than completely perplexed by the decision to make McGinn captain so why aren't the media saying the same?

• Like 1

One of the most overrated players around…

If you can bring the best out of him, ensure he’s in top physical condition and fitness, he can be an asset. Without energy, he is Useless and is only going to be a detriment in terms of trying to control possession.

I fear his best days are well behind him, even if he has had to make sacrifices for the sake of the team. I don’t even believe he could excel in his favoured role anyway now… don’t think he’s got it in him.

Dozy, slow, clumsy, sloppy, wasteful…

Nowhere near suited to a captaincy role, he’s clearly way out of his depth and overwhelmed… you could almost feel sorry for him but his poor performances generate anger and frustration more than any other emotion.

We should be pushing JJ over him now and McGinn should be the understudy or backup… we really need a proper midfielder to accompany and assist Kamara but I can’t see it happening. The fact that SG is not even picking Luiz and continues to shoehorn these two into the side, at our detriment, is baffling… he is way too fond of John…

The fault lies with the manager anyway.

You need your captain to lead, inspire and motivate you. But when the guy in that role cannot even produce an individually positive performance, how the hell can he be expected to raise the game of his teammates?

An abysmal atrocious decision and we are suffering for it.

It’s not going to change until we replace this clown of a manager.

54 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Fed up of him, he looks like Pingu waddling around frantically on the pitch. 

Captain lol. Good lord. 

spacer.png

Such a clumsy, awkward, slow player… he has no grace and looks so poor and lacking in a technical aspect… 

Just now, Jas10 said:

Such a clumsy, awkward, slow player… he has no grace and looks so poor and lacking in a technical aspect… 

It feels sad to criticise him as he has been such a big part of our club over recent years but he is a detriment to us on the pitch at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

spacer.png

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

We should really be looking to move McGinn on. The club have no idea how to sell players but my god, if we could get a fee for him and reinvest it in a better player, it would be the best decision of this transfer window. 

Never going to happen under this manager. He is no.1 until SG leaves. 😭 

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It feels sad to criticise him as he has been such a big part of our club over recent years but he is a detriment to us on the pitch at the moment.

It does but it’s yet another example of how much sentimentality can hold a side back. You’ve got to keep moving forwards.

We’ve spent so little on midfield since we got promoted… it’s crazy really. The most glaring weakness in our side and we’ve hardly invested in that area…

• Thanks 1

I love John,  I really do but, in my opinion,  he didn't deserve the captaincy based on last season's performances 

Today, he was lucky not to be sent off. 

Now he has the captaincy,  he needs to be top of his game. 

Â