John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He needs to be dropped. He absolutely cannot continue to play in midfield for us. He has one move - receive the ball in the inside right position in midfield, open his body up and either clip the ball over the top or use his arse to defend the ball if he’s under pressure.

He’s a very poor footballer at this level. 

You sure it isn't 2 moves. He can also do the 360 degree move where he shields the ball til he buys a foul. 

In all honesty I love his attitude and work rate but this level is so far beyond him. I watched Tarvernier at Bournemouth be twice the player against arsenal today. I don't understand why Steven has chained himself to McGinn. He is the most limited player in our starting eleven. 

1 hour ago, claretman said:

Why haven't any pundits or media worth their salt pointed out the ludicrous decision to make McGinn captain?  He is the weakest link in our midfield (I know there are several) and it's baffling to imagine he is going to start every game.

I've not spoken to a single Villa fan who has been anything other than completely perplexed by the decision to make McGinn captain so why aren't the media saying the same?

Fans sing his name at games. I get the impression Gerrard and the media think Villa fans love him. We do love him for what he’s done but he’s not the present or the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He needs to be dropped. He absolutely cannot continue to play in midfield for us. He has one move - receive the ball in the inside right position in midfield, open his body up and either clip the ball over the top or use his arse to defend the ball if he’s under pressure.

He’s a very poor footballer at this level. 

I'm sure he used to travel with the ball at pace when he first came, seems to be getting slower and slower. Reminds me of when a forward drops into midfield at the end of their career and tries to pick passes.

14 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

Really strange making him captain,i wanted him dropped good player off the bench,maybe,but ultimately hes championship quality.

Pretty much where I am. He’s a championship player struggling at a level too high for him. 

Gerrard has tied his managerial career to the ability of a player who is probably too good for the championship but not good enough to progress a team into the top half of the premier league. On the face of it, it's crazy.

• Like 1

It will never get any less insane that he plays the full 90 every game and has actually been made captain.

Gerrard's bizarre obsession with the player is making him look absolutely clueless. I mean he obviously is, but it's now obvious to everyone.

I think there is a brilliant player in him but he is clearly a shadow of himself at the moment. I must admit, I don’t know how SG can’t see that. Drop him, bench him, get his appetite back for the fight and see where he goes. I certainly wouldn’t dismiss him. Playing terribly at moment but also managed terribly. 

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sad part is the manager has turned fans on McGinn

He could have played a really big part as an impact sub with his energy but the clown made him the undroppable captain

To be fair, one or two of us had our doubts about McGinn for over two years...

1 hour ago, Stoobs said:

I think there is a brilliant player in him but he is clearly a shadow of himself at the moment. I must admit, I don’t know how SG can’t see that. Drop him, bench him, get his appetite back for the fight and see where he goes. I certainly wouldn’t dismiss him. Playing terribly at moment but also managed terribly. 

He ain't getting his form back, not a chance. You look at the bulk he has put on since he first signed, probably half the problem, he's so slow, an unfortunately it's not the way we need to be playing. He is no leader either, like people have said, it's shocking Gerrard has made him captain over Mings.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

To be fair, one or two of us had our doubts about McGinn for over two years...

I am the same but I mean as a hero. McGinn will always be remembered fondly for helping us up but Gerrard constantly playing him will make fans think of him in a negative way going forward 😞😞

I wouldnt be surprised if he gets booed at VP soon 😞

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I am the same but I mean as a hero. McGinn will always be remembered fondly for helping us up but Gerrard constantly playing him will make fans think of him in a negative way going forward 😞😞

I wouldnt be surprised if he gets booed at VP soon 😞

He's  defo not a 90 minute player, or captain material.

Â