John McGinn

PompeyVillan

59 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's a shame it's coming to this because he was a steal and has played his part in building the club back up. But if we have ambitions of Europe then we need to move on from him. 

*being a top 10 side

I'm not even putting this fully down to him. I love the guy, I don't hate him for playing poorly for a while. This formation he's playing in is horrible, very few midfielders would flourish in it, much less someone as limited as McGinn.

A lot of people have probably forgotten that McGinn was woeful in the Championship when Grealish was injured. He wasn’t the only one, but it was still the case. 

Right now, not only would I not have him as captain, I’d have him on the bench (just). 

He’s unfit and he’s garbage on the ball when push comes to shove. You cannot control a football match with McGinn in the middle of the park. Just won’t happen.

We need another central midfielder this window to play alongside Kamara. You can then take your pick of Ramsey, McGinn and Luiz for that third spot. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Can someone tell me the last time he had a 'great' game, man of the match. To me he's a plodder, no technical skill, scored double the goals for Scotland in 2021/22?

None really standout, the game against Spuds in our debut PL season...

Downhill ever since...

When we were promoted I voiced my concerns he wasn't good enough for the PL.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Love the guy and I knew he would get pelters if we lost.  Not a great bit of man management to say the least.

Did McGinn even talk to the players on the pitch today, like shout any instructions, or was he too busy being shite.

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Love the guy and I knew he would get pelters if we lost.  Not a great bit of man management to say the least.

That’s the thing eh, it was bad man management of Mings but it puts McGinn up in front of the crowd of villagers with rotten fruit as well. Such an odd decision.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

this is the thing that is the most confusing to me. I love what SJM has done for us since joining. But we have become a team aspiring to break into European places and McGinn has been woefully inconsistent throughout our time in the PL and he hasn't been rotated out. I think a lot of fans then assumed his position would be the next one to get upgraded and instead, he gets the captaincy making him in many eyes undroppable.

If he continues in this inconsistent form the entire year, he will become the biggest scapegoat and fans will be turning on him massively. Especially as players like Sanson and Luiz have not had real opportunities in that position despite showing promise there. 

1 minute ago, Shirtman said:

John McGinn was inept as a captain last season when Mings was dropped. Ive liked him but he's not good enough like the manager who loves him so much.

I agree and think you'll see the bsst version of McGinn when captaincy and vice captaincy are removed from him. Needs to focus on his own performance levels as a priority

27 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

That’s the thing eh, it was bad man management of Mings but it puts McGinn up in front of the crowd of villagers with rotten fruit as well. Such an odd decision.

Yeah McGinn is the heart and soul of the team anyway whether he is captain or not, or even in the XI.  He doesn't need to be captain.  

To bd controversial if he has to keep him in tbe side then he can play left of a front 3 to replace the Trez impersonator.who played today. Then he can  Cause some chaos. But the one thing he cannot do is be an intelligent central midfielder. He is a throw back to a late 80s early 90s player. Too many turnovers. Too much bluster not enough composure. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

A lot of people have probably forgotten that McGinn was woeful in the Championship when Grealish was injured. He wasn’t the only one, but it was still the case. 

Right now, not only would I not have him as captain, I’d have him on the bench (just). 

He’s unfit and he’s garbage on the ball when push comes to shove. You cannot control a football match with McGinn in the middle of the park. Just won’t happen.

We need another central midfielder this window to play alongside Kamara. You can then take your pick of Ramsey, McGinn and Luiz for that third spot. 

At no time in the Championship was McGinn woeful. Thats plain nonsense......as I'm sure you know.

In our first season back he was easily one of our best players......fact.

As of now, no probably shouldn't be captain or first name on the sheet, but respect what the kid has done for us if nothing else....

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Its not even a choice. Luiz. Every single time, Luiz.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

At no time in the Championship was McGinn woeful. Thats plain nonsense......as I'm sure you know.

In our first season back he was easily one of our best players......fact.

As of now, no probably shouldn't be captain or first name on the sheet, but respect what the kid has done for us if nothing else....

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Â