John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Do we really expect Gerrard to back track on having made him Captain? Do we actually want him to given how much of a shambles it would make us look?

Seems to be in a bit of a no win situation, where the only good outcome is McGinn going on a run of form we've not seen since Championship days.

Doesn't look promising whichever way it goes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Do we really expect Gerrard to back track on having made him Captain? Do we actually want him to given how much of a shambles it would make us look?

Seems to be in a bit of a no win situation, where the only good outcome is McGinn going on a run of form we've not seen since Championship days.

Fire Gerrard. New coach makes mings captain. Sell mcginn. Win win win

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

National news now and the pressure is on.

Actually feel for him now because he should never ever have been given the armband as most people said at the time.

Yep the manager is trying his best to turn the fans on him, he isnt going to turn down the armband. McGinn problem is he has been poor for so long yet continues to play 90 minutes and this is a huge issue and would benefit from time out of the starting line up

Unpopular opinion having watched the full 90 3 times now. 

He was actually neat and tidy on the ball and had some nice moments on Saturday. Was not even close to our worst forward/midfielder. 

He is being raped by Gerrard's insistence that he must play long balls 80% of the time. I wish we could use him slightly further forward and allow him to keep things simple.

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He was actually neat and tidy on the ball and had some nice moments on Saturday. Was not even close to our worst forward/midfielder. 

He is being raped by Gerrard's insistence that he must play long balls 80% of the time. I wish we could use him slightly further forward and allow him to keep things simple.

I agree,  he isn't a deep lying midfielder, and should never be deployed as one.  Double pivot behind him and a front 3 ahead of him that incudes Buendia and he'd shine.

He could also play the middle of a 3 behind a lone striker, but we have at least 2 better options for that role.

His terrible form can largely be put down to where we're playing him.

He wasn't the worst against Bournemouth, but he wasn't by any stretch good, and didn't do a captains role of elevating any other players. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He gave the ball away repeatedly and his long ball tactics are nothing to do with gerrard, it's how he plays and has played since he's been with us. He's just not a keep things simple kind of player. 

Whatever our opinions of his playing ability though, he doesn't deserve to start every game and is nowhere near a leader/motivator, whilst on the pitch. I don't really care if he's a joker in the changing room, the captain should be the one to be able to get reactions out of people in a game and if they're stood there looking at him thinking, you shouldn't even be here, which I reckon some are, then you get disharmony.

Not his fault, he is what he is, while I don't blame Gerrard for how bad a player I think JM is, I do completely blame him for making this woeful decision and think he's too pig headed to admit it. 

Can't believe we are addressing these issues after just one game, it has zapped the early pre-season enthusiasm from almost everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Viloon said:

He gave the ball away repeatedly and his long ball tactics are nothing to do with gerrard, it's how he plays and has played since he's been with us. He's just not a keep things simple kind of player. 

Whatever our opinions of his playing ability though, he doesn't deserve to start every game and is nowhere near a leader/motivator, whilst on the pitch. I don't really care if he's a joker in the changing room, the captain should be the one to be able to get reactions out of people in a game and if they're stood there looking at him thinking, you shouldn't even be here, which I reckon some are, then you get disharmony.

Not his fault, he is what he is, while I don't blame Gerrard for how bad a player I think JM is, I do completely blame him for making this woeful decision and think he's too pig headed to admit it. 

Can't believe we are addressing these issues after just one game, it has zapped the early pre-season enthusiasm from almost everyone. 

I counted 1 time he gave the ball away but if you want to stick to the prevailing narrative that's fine. 

He is quite clearly (along with Carlos and Kamara) being instructed to play long balls into the striker from deep. If you can't see that, I cannot help you.

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

I counted 1 time he gave the ball away but if you want to stick to the prevailing narrative that's fine. 

He is quite clearly (along with Carlos and Kamara) being instructed to play long balls into the striker from deep. If you can't see that, I cannot help you.

However, remember the stat that was posted on Twitter from half-time, Villa lost possession 78 times...

McGinn wasn't the highest but I'm sure he lost it (or gave the ball away) eight times in the first half alone...

1 minute ago, Zero7 said:

He takes too long on the ball and is slow / ponderous, we needed an upgrade on him. 

The answer is Kamara and Iroegbunam with Luiz ahead of them...

Won't happen but I'd like to see it tried...

Or Kamara and Luiz side by side with McGinn/Ramsey ahead.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

However, remember the stat that was posted on Twitter from half-time, Villa lost possession 78 times...

McGinn wasn't the highest but I'm sure he lost it (or gave the ball away) eight times in the first half alone...

You're right, I think I am just looking at scenarios where he is 1v1 and give the ball away aimlessly. Not so much the aerial stuff or when he's not really properly in 100% control of it etc. 

• Like 1

On 08/08/2022 at 10:25, MrBlack said:

It's really annoying. I like McGinn for all the obvious reasons, but he should have been a top candidate to sell this window, not made bloody captain and locked in starter. It's a move that is symbolic of our floundering when we should be progressing with a head of steam. 

It really is doing my head in!

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Â