John McGinn

PompeyVillan

If we had a list of the 20 worst tackles in the history of the game Leeds would probably have half of them from that 70s team they would all love to be again!

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Diego Carlos would swallow his soul so that he was utterly destroyed both physically and spiritually, Nakamba stepped in for Bamford's protection.

Fixed, based what I’ve seen so far from Diego.

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People complaining that McGinn should have been aware of the kids age, sorry thats on the manager playing a kid vs men

I think if you had that mindset you wouldn't be a top flight footballer

You can't afford that split second to look up see and think about who it is you're tackling and base your effort and force on it, the game is too fast for it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Most need to take there claret and blue glasses off. It was a naughty tackle for a friendly, I would rather him save the aggression, he needs to be noticed more this season.

It was clear that Leeds set out to not play it as a friendly. Perhaps if Gray hadn't have been part of that dirty Leeds 'get into em' philosophy (see his earlier tackle on Buendia), a Villa player wouldn't have pushed to, at the very worst a yellow, foul.

To now moan about it is typical Leeds hypocrisy.

• Like 4

It’s a really really bad challenge to be honest. I don’t think it’s malicious or deliberate, but you wouldn’t be complaining if he got a red card for that. 

We’d be furious if that was Dallas on Ramsey, for example

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a really really bad challenge to be honest. I don’t think it’s malicious or deliberate, but you wouldn’t be complaining if he got a red card for that. 

From all the footage I've seen, I really don't see where that should be a red and it's nowhere near bad enough for me to be wound up, if it were on a Villa player. I certainly wouldn't be playing the 'only a kid' card. Gray was certainly old enough to dish out a bad foul on Buendia not long before.

Without the injury, this tackle would have passed unnoticed as just another foul, possibly without a card. I don't see why, in an adult match, the age of the players is relevant. As for 'only a friendly', well, everyone watching could see Leeds didn't play it in that spirit, so why bitch about one tough tackle that wasn't an intentional foul?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

If we had a list of the 20 worst tackles in the history of the game Leeds would probably have half of them from that 70s team they would all love to be again!

The other half would all be Graeme Souness

36 minutes ago, brommy said:

From all the footage I've seen, I really don't see where that should be a red and it's nowhere near bad enough for me to be wound up, if it were on a Villa player. I certainly wouldn't be playing the 'only a kid' card. Gray was certainly old enough to dish out a bad foul on Buendia not long before.

Without the injury, this tackle would have passed unnoticed as just another foul, possibly without a card. I don't see why, in an adult match, the age of the players is relevant. As for 'only a friendly', well, everyone watching could see Leeds didn't play it in that spirit, so why bitch about one tough tackle that wasn't an intentional foul?

He’s effectively stamped on his shin/ankle. You see red cards for that kind of challenge all the time in the prem. I don’t agree with the level of bitching Leeds are doing by the way. Im not defending that

Like I said, I don’t think he meant it, but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a bad tackle. 

Edit: hard to make out but you can see McGinn’s foot is quite high up the leg of the Leeds player. It’s not a nice tackle

75D51EDA-5554-4FFA-A95B-7918C43AA248.jpeg

Edited by Stevo985

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Didnt the kid make a horrible challenge on buendia earlier in the game? Guess that's acceptable?

Guess the leeds fans forgot that part

The two schools of thought on that are: 2 wrongs don't make a right - or - f*ck around and find out. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s effectively stamped on his shin/ankle. You see red cards for that kind of challenge all the time in the prem. I don’t agree with the level of bitching Leeds are doing by the way. Im not defending that

Like I said, I don’t think he meant it, but it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a bad tackle. 

Edit: hard to make out but you can see McGinn’s foot is quite high up the leg of the Leeds player. It’s not a nice tackle

75D51EDA-5554-4FFA-A95B-7918C43AA248.jpeg

After winning the ball. It happens in football and is sometimes not even given as a foul, given the ball was won. It's typically what a yellow card is for. Not getting to the ball first obviously increases the typical punishment severity, but that's not the case here. If that was a red for a Leeds player, I'd have thought it harsh and be questioning whether football was a contact sport and if so what's the point in yellow cards? As it was, the ref got it right.

I still think it probably wouldn't have happened if Leeds hadn't been so gung-ho in what was supposed to be a friendly.

8 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

His studs aren't up, his leg isn't straight, it's not forceful, he's not off the ground or out of control. My word what is this game coming to, it's a foul at best.

If the guy doesn't get injured nobody even says a word about it, people are now reacting to the outcome rather than the tackle itself. There were much worse tackles in the game than that one.

I did a few of them today at 5 aside football. No malice at all, I’m just shit and slow. 

Luckily I don’t wear blades or studs. 

What gets massively overlooked is how technically skilful McGinn can be - especially in tight spaces  … the lil drag back before the tackle is pure class… Shame it’s overshadowed… Hope the lads ok and no blame attributable, just unfortunate. Interesting how he plays alongside Kamara. 

Poor tackle, but didn't look deliberate to me, and disagree that he goes in full force. If anything he slows down as he goes in, and probably would have done less damage if he'd gone in harder.

Also don't think Gray's challenge on Buendia was that bad, so be surprised if McGinn was seeking revenge anyway.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

A red card for **** sake? :D 

• Like 1

Â