John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Getting a huge amount of stick for a challenge on a 16yo Leeds Player who was stretchered off as a result.

Was a clear 50/50 and Leeds fans saying he did it intentionally due to an earlier tackle by the kid on Buendia - McGinn was staring at the ball, would've had no idea who was coming.

Wasn't studs up, wasn't even a sliding tackle, just a 50/50 that's gone awry, real shame for the kid and hope he isn't out too long, but the challenge by McGinn was fine imo

Leeds fans on twitter would have you believe he dove in studs up double footed metres off the ball. It was a 50/50 contest where he got the ball. Unlucky for the young player but there are worse tackles in every premier league game

Sure we would be unhappy too if one of our 16 y.o got injured in a friendly, even if it was an accident. Especially if it was against likes of Leeds.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure we would be unhappy too if one of our 16 y.o got injured in a friendly, even if it was an accident. Especially if it was against likes of Leeds.

Since when did a player’s age make any difference as to how they are tackled? It was clearly an accident with no malice on SJM’s part. Am I surprised that Dirty Leeds fans are moaning? Of course not they moan, lie and cheat  at every opportunity. A truly obnoxious club with fans to match. 

Edited by DaveAV1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Since when did a player’s age make any difference as to how they are tackled? It was clearly an accident with no malice on SJM’s part. Am I surprised that Dirty Leeds fans are moaning? Of course not they moan, lie and cheat  at every opportunity. A truly obnoxious club with fans to match. 

My experience of how fans and teammates react is that they are always more protective of younger payers and more upset if something happens to them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sne said:

I agree - I thought it was a very poor challenge by McGinn at the time and watching it on replay has done nothing to change my opinion. If he wants to roam the pitch like Johnny Concrete I'd much rather he left his 'mark' on prats like Bamford or Strujk rather than 16 year old kids......even if the young lad had just put a robust challenge in on one of our players. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for our players standing up for each other on the pitch, God knows we see our lads get kicked enough, but I thought McGinn's tackle was naughty and unnecessary.

I'll go and get me tin hat.....

Edited by Dillon66
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I'm sorry but that's rubbish - it was a deliberate retributive challenge.

He went in hard but it wasn’t studs showing and was a 50-50 block tackle. I don’t think he knew it was the lad who fouled Buendia. The tone has been set in earlier tackles and McGinn was just up for the battle. Hope it isn’t too serious for the young lad. 

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

image.jpeg.e671a400715dfd4b73397a7514d0723a.jpeg

Did any of these Leeds clearings moan about Aylings assault that was 1000% worse at the end of last season? 

Really **** hate Leeds fans. 

Dallas one was even worse, could have broke a leg but thankfully just injured himself

He goes in with the outside of his foot.  Nothing wrong with the challenge and if it had been that bad, the players would have kicked off.  Young kid against a seasoned pro.  Contact sport. 

It wasn’t a good challenge, but it wasn’t terrible either. Turning his back as he went in for it wasn’t great, and a tackle like that in the PL will not go unpunished. Especially given the hypocritical overreaction of the Leeds players.

Edited by jacketspuds

Â