John McGinn

PompeyVillan

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The thing is, he won't do any better with Kamara there. His role will be exactly the same as it is now, and it will still be too deep to get the best out of him. Sure, we'll probably have more of the ball with a proper dedicated CDM, but he'll still need to play as deep as he does, and he'll still need to cover the wing back.

McGinn isn't great in our formation of choice.

Yeah, I think you are right.

However, I also think JJ is even worse in that deeper role and am not (yet) convinced Samson is better than McGinn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Icarium said:

If he is playing the same role this season when kamara is in the team, then its a Gerrard failing, not a mcginn failing. Kamara should be taking over Luiz role as the primary dm, Luiz should be the two-way (to borrow a hockey term) mid, and mcginn should be the most attacking of the 3. Which is a role that should suit him better than last season with heavier defensive responsibilities 

Both our 8s play the same role. Both have to cover the wingback and neither has complete freedom to get forward. It depends which side of the pitch the attack builds from and us fairly fluid.

If we did go with a more defined role middle 3, like you're saying, he'd be fine. Although I'd probably put Ramsey in the more offensive position over McGinn.

I don't see us getting the best out of mcginn unless he plays in front of a double pivot  and just behind two 10s.

In both games against the aussies, the half that Mcginn played was disjointed with the team struggling to link up play and retain possession. In the halves he didn't play, the team looked cohesive and pinged the ball around as you would expect a modern team to do. Both Coutinho & Buendia became twice as effective without Mcgin belting the ball 50 yards all the time. Not saying it's all on Mcginn, but he is an old school player who for me holds the team back. If he is first choice this season, I'll lose alot of faith in our gaffer and what he is trying to achieve.

• Like 4

To be fair to McGinn I think the roles given to our midfield often feel neither fish or fowl. In my eyes both  Smith & Gerrard have done this. the roles of our central midfielders feels a little mushy to me.

Against weaker opposition our midfield struggles to break them down against strong teams we struggle to control midfield.

Some of that has been our players but in McGinn (and probably Luis)'s case I feel its because their roles seem a bit too nebulous and these are players who imho shouldn't be given roaming license. They are better served by being given area area of midfield to focus on.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

we want to play possession football, we have 2 of the lowest pass count midfielders, in our midfield 3....

As @sne said, i really dont think the two of them together work for us, for me its McGinn who misses out (not that he will tho).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sne said:

Said it many times in various threads, McGinn and Ramsey are a terrible fit together.

Yep said similar a passing midfielder slotted in next to either Ramsey/McGinn is needed....Luiz is the obvious choice

• Like 3

I generally don't really care about who specifically is captain as ideally a team will have several good leaders who can share the burden, but I'm not a fan of this move as it suggests McGinn will continue to be an almost guaranteed starter that rarely even gets subbed off. And I say that as someone that loves the guy.

• Like 1

It's actually **** staggering

Captaincy doesn't matter much but it does symbolise you will be starting and finishing lost games.

You see McGinn about 6 minutes a match max.

The absolute blind spot Gerrard and Smith have for him is remarkable.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 21:43, sne said:

Said it many times in various threads, McGinn and Ramsey are a terrible fit together.

Yeah but John McGinn wears a turkey outfit at Christmas and makes the lads smile. 😊 Irreplaceable.

• Haha 1

Â