John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Needs dropping out of the starting line up and possibly not even on the bench for a couple of games. Let him fight for his place again and hopefully get some drive back into his game.........plus play him deeper Smith.

Looking at present that he won't be able to step up to the Premier League level but time will tell. Thing that has always worried me about him, same was true at St M and Hibs, is his poor weight and direction of pass in some games. I was hoping with better coaches and time this would improve but unfortunately  this does not seem to be the case.🙄

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

I love the guy.. I do... but He has got away with murder to be fair the last half dozen games at least. Ineffective! 10/10 for effort but he hasn’t been a patch on last season. It annoys me when I hear pundits sing his praises, they obviously have not seen him this season. Needs dropping and is part of the reason for our bad form of late. I want the old SJM back. 

I think sometimes the managers look at the players in training and which ones cause the least grief and if they always  give 100% their names are first down on the teamsheet. It is almost like they get blinkered by the professionalism of the player

I'm sure this is how McGinn comes across and there is no doubt about giving his all for the Club but hopefully Smith et al will see a rest will do him good.........plus play him deeper and let others provide the goal threat 😧  . One of his greatest attributes was bringing the ball forward from deep to set an attack up not to be already in the attack,......... along of course battling the opponents attacking midfield especially with his arse.😀

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Looking every bit the mid table Scots prem midfielder sadly... 

You can’t expect miracles from him every week, he was performing brilliantly at the start of the season but his form has dipped. Don’t worry about him, he’ll come back 

• Like 1

On 15/12/2019 at 09:51, newhavenhibby said:

I think sometimes the managers look at the players in training and which ones cause the least grief and if they always  give 100% their names are first down on the teamsheet. It is almost like they get blinkered by the professionalism of the player

I'm sure this is how McGinn comes across and there is no doubt about giving his all for the Club but hopefully Smith et al will see a rest will do him good.........plus play him deeper and let others provide the goal threat 😧  . One of his greatest attributes was bringing the ball forward from deep to set an attack up not to be already in the attack,......... along of course battling the opponents attacking midfield especially with his arse.😀

I think I've been saying the same since September - his best qualities are driving the ball forward, and getting long distance shots off.  

Seem's like he's being coached to get into the box (like Grealish has been told to) and it's leaving us open to counters and it means he's having to cover more ground, which he cannot then make up in defence without the ball.  So you have to ask, what do you want more of?  A goal threat?  Or someone who is a central midfielder, doing a bit of everything, but primarily used as a support role? Seems like it's the former this season, and it's obviously seeing him lose form.

The problem is, is when we go behind, like we have recently, he's more likely to defend less, leaving us as a team more open.. 

As you've said, use him deeper, don't expect him popping in the box and coach him on how to use wingers and runners.  Get him passing to teammates, into space and work on his decision making and weight of pass.  I have no doubt he's capable of playing this level, but he seems to be being used badly at the moment and it's not fair on him.  

• Like 2

I blame Smith for McGinn fall in form.  I mentioned it in this thread a few weeks back.  He should have been dropped against the likes of Chelsea and Leicester.  That way he would have been ready to go against the teams we need to beat in the next 2 weeks.

Saw this dip in form last season before he got 3 match suspension and  he came back the player we knew he was.

The step up was always going to be noticeable. However I have no doubt John will adapt. He's anything but average. He'll only get better. We might not see the best of him for a while though. I also echo what others have said, for me Smith has run him to the ground. I'm sure we all thought he had an endless supply of energy and stamina. Turns out he's human after all. Just needs a rest and perhaps some more tactical adjustment.

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

I blame Smith for McGinn fall in form.  I mentioned it in this thread a few weeks back.  He should have been dropped against the likes of Chelsea and Leicester.  That way he would have been ready to go against the teams we need to beat in the next 2 weeks.

Saw this dip in form last season before he got 3 match suspension and  he came back the player we knew he was.

yes many of us were saying a month ago that he needs resting and he still hasn't been. Unbelievable Jeff! I'm certain he will come back firing if he gets a breather for a game or two. Its as if his brain has a short circuit and he cant think straight. Hopefully gets dropped for Liverpool.

This meme that he needs a rest as he has been overplayed is ridiculous. 17 games is not a lot, we should expect him to be able to play that amount of games and be at peak level. The problem is him, he's not fit enough, clearly not working hard enough on both his fitness and his game. Frankly the quality he has been showing on the ball for the past 2 months is Championship standard. Not good enough, needs to pull his finger out and start delivering. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This meme that he needs a rest as he has been overplayed is ridiculous. 17 games is not a lot, we should expect him to be able to play that amount of games and be at peak level. The problem is him, he's not fit enough, clearly not working hard enough on both his fitness and his game. Frankly the quality he has been showing on the ball for the past 2 months is Championship standard. Not good enough, needs to pull his finger out and start delivering. 

Sadly true.

What I'd add (as I already have previously), is that if his job is to be a CM, collect the ball deep, lay off and then get in the box & then get back to defend.. that's an awful lot of work.  I want him driving, laying off, then prowling the edge of the area (Lampard-esque), getting shots off at a distance.  Then you've probably taken 20% of his yardage away and that'll help him out immensely.

What's the average Km for a CM in this league? 10km?  Players only have so much fitness, using them correctly to maximise their effect on the game is the key thing here.  

John will have to learn when to arrive in the box, ala Keane or Scholes.  But unfortunately for us, we haven't that quality to afford that luxury yet.  We've got to build from a platform that isn't there yet. 

46 minutes ago, birdman said:

yes many of us were saying a month ago that he needs resting and he still hasn't been. Unbelievable Jeff! I'm certain he will come back firing if he gets a breather for a game or two. Its as if his brain has a short circuit and he cant think straight. Hopefully gets dropped for Liverpool.

Yeah but the breather is to late now.  We needed him for the next 4-5 matches coming up not the matches against the top 6 who we weren't competing with.  Very incompetent management if you ask me.

• Like 1

Â