John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Tbf, you could make a similar argument for most of our midfield right now.

I think of all of them, we expect more from him. I know he's bedding in to the league somewhat, but he knows British football and he knows the team - he doesn't have as many excuses as a lot of the others IMO. 

Here's the thing about Mcginn. Despite the amount of complaints he's been getting in here, both he's whoscored ratings and and infogol ratings are generally decent, higher than our other midfielders. On understat, every single one of his attacking statistics are higher than the premier league average for a premier league midfielder. 

What I'm getting at is, these stats suggest that while he may be off form, he's still contributing to the team in some way and is still our best midfielder on the pitch, which is probably why Dean doesn't want to drop him. Between Nakamba, Hourihane, Luiz and Mcginn, we typically play 3 of them on the field at one time and so we only have a single rotation option. In general, the priority is to rotate someone else from the midfield trio for the rotation option because at least one of them have been crap usually, which leaves nobody but Lansbury to sub for Mcginn and I'm not sure Smith is confident enough to start Lansbury, especially considering how light-weight our midfield generally is. The other option is to sub in one of the wingers for Mcginn and move Grealish to a central position but as we've seen, that just hampers Grealish.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Ndidi was the first player I've seen stick him on his arse more than once. Read him and overpowered him.

I'd like to rest John at Sheff U, just because I want him in the team and firing v Saints. Three points v Southampton will do us more good than 3 at Bramall Lane.

I think everyone will see how much we miss him if he doesn't start. His level seems lower than it really is because this is John McGinn, not some waster. Being dropped might stick a rocket up him as well, something needs to spark.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Poor, very poor, doesn't look like a player who belongs at this level at the moment.

He's not showing for the ball, he's not tracking back enough or offering an attacking threat. There's something very wrong with him. 

On 08/12/2019 at 17:18, Avcol said:

Beyond the work rate, such a limited player in this league

Fully agree, even in Championship was some games when Jack waa injured that he was dire. 

Needs to adapt his game which he has the tools to do

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's not showing for the ball, he's not tracking back enough or offering an attacking threat. There's something very wrong with him. 

I think his fitness is poor and that underpins a lot of it, but certainly open to the idea that he's just actually not that good of a player in the first place. His quality on the ball is really bad at the best of times.

35 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think his fitness is poor and that underpins a lot of it, but certainly open to the idea that he's just actually not that good of a player in the first place. His quality on the ball is really bad at the best of times.

Said it before, his game is based on outworking his opposite number and having a good shot. It worked against cloggers in the championship, but he is been shown up against prem players who can match his engine but are also better in pretty much every other facet of the game.

I don't think his fitness is an issue - against Newcastle for example he was still making lung bursting runs in the last 5 minutes. The problem was that each time he utterly failed to make a simple pass to play a team mate in, as you say, his quality on the ball is not great.

Â