John McGinn

PompeyVillan

To be fair to McGinn and Luiz when Ramsey has one of his games where it looks like he his shoelaces are tied together it's not easy in that midfield. Thought he started the game well putting tackles in but faded as we got overran.

Edited by villanmac

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

If we have any aspiration of breaking into the top eight next season, then McGinn cannot be a regular starter for us.

I will use Arsenal today as an example but just look at their midfield, who are all so comfortable with the football. McGinn just isn’t. He’ll put a foot in at times, use his arse to decent effect and pop off the odd good shot but boy he’s limited.

Personally, I would look to move him on for a top fee in the summer.

Agree. 

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I’d like to keep McGinn but he needs someone challenging him for his spot

He has somebody who is probably better but Gerrard doesn't trust Sanson

• Like 2

Think he'd be a fantastic sub to bring on with 30 mins or so to go to chase and hassle the opponents.

As a starter he is limited. Love the guy but I think he would do better coming on as one of the 10's late in rather than starting as a 8.

Doesn't he play higher up for Scotland sometimes?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Can we rename the thread to scapegoat?

He’s not though is he? People are wising up to the fact he gives the ball away too much. He tries too many Hollywood balls.

However since Gerrard has come in he has improved in most games especially where he keeps it ticking over and then uses his ‘Hollywood pass’ as a variation. But he still has too many games where he gives the ball away too much. Because of the Hollywood passes. 

Too many of our players are generous to the opposition in terms of giving them the ball. McGinn is one of them. 

To challenge the top 8 we need more reliable passers of the ball.  As SNE says - as an option for the last 30 minutes he’d be an excellent substitute to throw on whereby he can play full tilt for the entire time. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

If we have any aspiration of breaking into the top eight next season, then McGinn cannot be a regular starter for us.

I will use Arsenal today as an example but just look at their midfield, who are all so comfortable with the football. McGinn just isn’t. He’ll put a foot in at times, use his arse to decent effect and pop off the odd good shot but boy he’s limited.

Came here to post the exact same thing. We need much, much better. Same goes for Luiz (although he deserves a run at his own position rather than DM), and Ramsey is not yet good enough to start every game. 

McGinn is not half the player Buendia is, who does everything McGinn does but better, and by some distance. 

Pkease drop McGinn and start play Sanson for the next 5 games to give him a chance of showing us what he is capable of before he disappears and goes on to perform for someone else.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rooster85 said:

Absolutely the best player in yesterday's game between Scotland and Poland. Polish commentators slobbered over him for his skills and attitude.

Was he playing in his usual more advanced role for Scotland?

On 19/03/2022 at 14:42, ferguson1 said:

If he’s as bad as the booboys are saying, what makes you think we would get “a top fee”?

It seems to me that when McGinn doesnt play well Villa dont play well. So he is critical to our success but we somebody else in there that can challenge for his place. We have a lot of very similar type players but only one John McGinn 

• Like 1

I do think if we had the right CDM and played the 4 4 2 diamond with only one full back bursting forward while the other tucks into midfield we would see the best out of McGinn and Ramsey. I feel McGinn is still a bit too defensive helping Luiz out.

We either move Ramsey to a 10 role, have Luiz be the shuttler beside a destroyer CDM and then McGinn is that box to box. 

The current set up with the attacking full backs doesn't suit the midfield players we have. Luiz isn't a destroyer he's a shuttler or box to box. Ramsey and McGinn are box to box or maybe a 10 in case of Ramsey. 

Â