John McGinn

PompeyVillan

9 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Kept things simple. Used his body really well, was strong with and without the ball and drove us forward so well. Man of the match by a mile and, most critically, he played so well for the whole 90 mins. 

None of the above has been evident enough all season. His inconsistency has been frustrating this season but today he showed how good he can be. Controlled our play and tempo a lot today as well. Really good to see. 

When Stevie G first came in McGinn improved incredibly with the ball. He kept it simple was up at 89/90% possession and still had 2/3 key passes per game. 

Then he inexplicably went back to the Hollywood pass at all costs which was costing us games.

When McGinn keeps it ticking over he is dangerous for the opposition because his through balls then are deadly as they catch them off guard. 

long may it continue. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

When Stevie G first came in McGinn improved incredibly with the ball. He kept it simple was up at 89/90% possession and still had 2/3 key passes per game. 

Then he inexplicably went back to the Hollywood pass at all costs which was costing us games.

This was linked to the team losing shape and McGinn basically being asked to play deep on the right next to Konsa while the full backs charged forward… with the full backs sitting more against Brighton he could play his ‘normal’ game.

just re-watching the Southampton game, McGinn does have a lot of positives to his game for sure, but i 100% stand by the statement that if Gerrard wants to play possession football at some point in his tenure, McGinn is just not capable of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

just re-watching the Southampton game, McGinn does have a lot of positives to his game for sure, but i 100% stand by the statement that if Gerrard wants to play possession football at some point in his tenure, McGinn is just not capable of that.

Yesterday was a great team effort so feels stupid to complain about individuals, but McGinn was a lot less impressive than against Brighton. Not even close to the same energy.

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yesterday was a great team effort so feels stupid to complain about individuals, but McGinn was a lot less impressive than against Brighton. Not even close to the same energy.

He was less involved in the game I agree.

Excellent work for Coutinho's goal though. 

One thing that can always be said is no matter how good/bad he's playing he always gives 100%.

It's that work rate that's got him to where he is as opposed to natural ability I would say. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

i wasnt complaining, i was just stating an opinion.

Im not questioning his energy or hustle, i was just saying he isnt a possession player.

Â