John McGinn

PompeyVillan

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Absolute workhorse every fan and commentator knows that and goes to great lengths to tell.

mqof9u5elbn81.jpg

I've gone blind. I can't find him on this graph! Please help.

And why does Bernardo Silva get a pointy line to his dot but no-one else does?

39 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I've gone blind. I can't find him on this graph! Please help.

And why does Bernardo Silva get a pointy line to his dot but no-one else does?

To make his dot into a lolly. His reward for covering the most distance.

He is over rated by a section of the fan base......and when we play the elite teams it stands out.

He is a popular guy and that can easily camouflage, the analysis in these cases.

The problem is, as a squad, we lack his passion, very few of our players have it like him......but until we recruit a better balanced midfield, in terms of attributes, he has to stay in the team.

We need a quality CDM, but we need a quality "ratter" too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

He is over rated by a section of the fan base......and when we play the elite teams it stands out.

He is a popular guy and that can easily camouflage, the analysis in these cases.

The problem is, as a squad, we lack his passion, very few of our players have it like him......but until we recruit a better balanced midfield, in terms of attributes, he has to stay in the team.

We need a quality CDM, but we need a quality "ratter" too.

I don't think either McGinn or Luiz are playing the roles they are best suited to, and with Nakamba's injury any chance of that changing vanished. On top of that we are trying to shoe horn Buendia and Coutinho in a midfield that was already unbalanced. 

A large percentage of the games we lose, we lose because we don't win the midfield battle, we get kicked and elbowed all over the park and get nothing from refs, (it's almost like it's pay back for the 1000s of free kicks Grealish used to win us), we have no height, no physicality, no edge. McGinn's arse majestic as it is, doesn't always prove to be the WMD needed.

Chuk looks a player, but he doesn't have the work rate or physicality to fill the gap, Tim is probably the answer but I can't see Doug or John being dropped for him yet.

We have to get beyond the 'can do a job there' mentality. I think come the summer when Doug and possibly Chuk are gone we get to remould the entire midfield, obviously would rather keep both and see us strengthen.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I don't think either McGinn or Luiz are playing the roles they are best suited to, and with Nakamba's injury any chance of that changing vanished. On top of that we are trying to shoe horn Buendia and Coutinho in a midfield that was already unbalanced. 

A large percentage of the games we lose, we lose because we don't win the midfield battle, we get kicked and elbowed all over the park and get nothing from refs, (it's almost like it's pay back for the 1000s of free kicks Grealish used to win us), we have no height, no physicality, no edge. McGinn's arse majestic as it is, doesn't always prove to be the WMD needed.

Chuk looks a player, but he doesn't have the work rate or physicality to fill the gap, Tim is probably the answer but I can't see Doug or John being dropped for him yet.

We have to get beyond the 'can do a job there' mentality. I think come the summer when Doug and possibly Chuk are gone we get to remould the entire midfield, obviously would rather keep both and see us strengthen.

Its a situation that has miffed me, way before Steven Gerrard arrived.....its been left to fester for too long.

Your observations are spot on and SG seen it first hand on Sunday.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Only has two tricks, and neither are of much use when he's not absolutely on it. Hate to lose a likeable character, but he needs replacing with an actual footballer at some point.

Agree.  90 minutes of McGinn ain't it. Let him run himself ragged and then get someone else on.   Eventually we find someone who can bring his high energy levels and technical ability. 

Nice guy, the joker in the dressing room and good for morale but a squad player at best.

Totally fed up of him now starting matches and doing nothing; gave the ball away on fifty minutes which almost gave Arsenal a second.

I've been saying it for so long but he's never a top eight player.

• Like 1

Â